MM = Solid Guy !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just finished watching MM's October 15th press conference and the more I watch this guy, the more I like him. Not only has he brought us results but the man takes responsibility for his mistakes, really seems to know what he's talking about and also seems to be a stand up guy in general.

I really think we have a long term winner here !!!

Press conference Link: http://packers.com/

Cheers

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You only sing when you're winning :D

Naw just kidding, yah i like MM too, hes probably the best young HC in the NFL right now, hes definitely surpasssed Mangini now.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Naw just kidding, yah i like MM too, hes probably the best young HC in the NFL right now, hes definitely surpasssed Mangini now.

Tomlin is turning heads in Pittsburgh, too.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Tiger said:

Tomlin also had a helluva head start on his roster.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
millertime said:
Tiger said:

Tomlin also had a helluva head start on his roster.

Yes he is turning heads. I love the guy. I'm afraid as you mentioned that however far they make it in the Postseason he'll be tagged as "winning with the team Cowher built"

I'd remind those folks that the team Cowher build went 8-8 last season. Maybe most of the players are the same but they are responding to this coach bigtime (and yes, I think Cowher gave himself a bit of a lame-duck season in '06 too).

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should respond to the actual thread topic as well - MM is getting it done. Seems a bit laid back in front of the microphone but he's bringing it on the sideline (and the backroom) where it counts.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt say Tomlin has been more impressive. He hasnt really had to do anything, they kept the same coordinators and same systems. He dosent call plays and he inherited a playoff calibur team. Something MM did not.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking over a winning team can be a huge task.
Ask Norv Turner!!

Therefore I won't take anything away from Coach Tomlin.
(Yes, the Steelers were 8-8, but anyway!)

But to turn a 4-12-team around after, let's say, twelve games in your
first season and from this point start a series of ten games with a result of
9 wins and just one loss.........

......smells like 'Coach of the year'

Just what I think....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, McCarthy's been great, and I've always liked the way he conducts himself in press conferences, right from his very first one. I remember that he won a lot of fans over in that first press conference.

In spite of the Packers' success this season, McCarthy is still being almost completely overlooked by the national media, which is proof that young coaches are rated more on hype than accomplishments.

Take a look at this baffling excerpt from Dr. Z's mailbag on the Sports Illustrated web site yesterday:

"Andy of Denver, and I thank you, asks for my choice of 'best coach out of the rookie head coaches last year.' I'm not sure what you mean. You're not including this season's crop, right? Well, if you'd have asked me that in the off-season I'd have said tie between Eric Mangini of the Jets and Sean Payton of the Saints. Now both their teams are in the dumper. I'm not going to say Brad Childress or Rod Marinelli because their teams have a better record right now. I think I'll stick with the same two, although I give the Saints more hope this season than I do the Jets."

Now, I don't think Dr. Z is snubbing McCarthy, I think he was just hasty in answering the question and completely forgot about him. I e-mailed Dr. Z to tell him about his oversight. What makes it even worse is that he mentioned Childress and Marinelli, as if those are the only two coaches who might be considered along with last year's geniuses Mangini and Payton. McCarthy is 5-0 against Childress and Marinelli.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I wouldnt say Tomlin has been more impressive. He hasnt really had to do anything, they kept the same coordinators and same systems. He dosent call plays and he inherited a playoff calibur team. Something MM did not.

Who's the Head Coach of the Cardinals? Former Steelers OC :)
Who's the Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line of the Cardinals? Held same position with Steelers

They returned only **** LeBeau from their coordinators :) And Tomlin is a defense guy so yeah.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit, I didn't like MM too much last year. I've done a 180 on him though and now think there's a good shot he gets Coach of the Year, and if he does, he'd deserve it.

His halftime adjustments last year were horrible. Now, that's one of his greatest strengths.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:

Who's the Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line of the Cardinals? Held same position with Steelers

They returned only **** LeBeau from their coordinators :) And Tomlin is a defense guy so yeah.

Thanks Zero. Even keeping Lebeau Tomlin switched to a 4-3 defense and also revamped the offense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Tiger said:

Thanks Zero. Even keeping Lebeau Tomlin switched to a 4-3 defense and also revamped the offense.

I just like facts to be factual, that is all. :)

But I still think McCarthy has been more impressive :p

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrote about this today - McCarthy went to see Chris Franices during the bye week. Francies' father died last week. Can you imagine Sherman doing something like that? McCarthy is a class act...

Members online

Latest posts