Minnesota Vikings break NFL Draft record

FrozenTakesInGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the NFL Draft shrunk to seven rounds, no team has ever had more than 14 picks. The Minnesota Vikings ended the day with 15 picks. I wonder how many will make the roster?

In another oddity, the Indianapolis Colts had three consecutive picks during the sixth round. I think that’s happened before, but it’s been a while.

Reaction score
I noticed the Vikings. They started with 12 picks and added several more I believe.
The good news is they lost a 1st round grade sure thing WR before the draft started.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, they certainly positioned themselves well to improve their team in this draft. I don't know who they picked, but man that is a crap load of picks. I know a good chunk were 6th and 7th, so some were just first dibbs at UDFA's really, but 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds, 2 in the first can really improve a team. Most teams wait 7 rounds to get 7 players

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, their roster was gutted this offseason and they have no cap space, so probably almost all of the rookies will make it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
22 Justin Jefferson - WR
31 Jeff Gladney - CB
58 Ezra Cleveland - OT
89 Cameron Dantzler - CB
117 DJ Wonnum - Edge
130 James Lynch - DL
132 Troy Dye - LB
169 Harrison Hand - CB
176 KJ Osborn - WR
203 Blake Brandel - OT
205 Josh Metellus - S
225 Kenny Willekes - DE
244 Nate Stanley - QB
249 Brian Cole - S
253 Kyle Hinton - OG

Honestly, their entire first 7 picks I LOVED. I am a Nate Stanley fan 6th round on, as I truly feel he could be a solid back up (never more) but solid. Not a fan of their safety choices, but they drafted one of my favorite OTs and their late rounders project well.

They did have an excellent draft on paper and weighed against my rankings...but winning a draft on paper doesn't win games on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
22 Justin Jefferson - WR
31 Jeff Gladney - CB
58 Ezra Cleveland - OT
89 Cameron Dantzler - CB
117 DJ Wonnum - Edge
130 James Lynch - DL
132 Troy Dye - LB
169 Harrison Hand - CB
176 KJ Osborn - WR
203 Blake Brandel - OT
205 Josh Metellus - S
225 Kenny Willekes - DE
244 Nate Stanley - QB
249 Brian Cole - S
253 Kyle Hinton - OG

Honestly, their entire first 7 picks I LOVED. I am a Nate Stanley fan 6th round on, as I truly feel he could be a solid back up (never more) but solid. Not a fan of their safety choices, but they drafted one of my favorite OTs and their late rounders project well.

They did have an excellent draft on paper and weighed against my rankings...but winning a draft on paper doesn't win games on the field.
Here’s to your draft analysis sucking :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s to your draft analysis sucking :)

No kidding! We got to about middle of round 5 and I clearly questioned every player I liked given Vikings were picking someone off my big board with regularity it got creepy.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
22 Justin Jefferson - WR
31 Jeff Gladney - CB
58 Ezra Cleveland - OT
89 Cameron Dantzler - CB
117 DJ Wonnum - Edge
130 James Lynch - DL
132 Troy Dye - LB
169 Harrison Hand - CB
176 KJ Osborn - WR
203 Blake Brandel - OT
205 Josh Metellus - S
225 Kenny Willekes - DE
244 Nate Stanley - QB
249 Brian Cole - S
253 Kyle Hinton - OG

I liked Stanley anywhere after Round 4, thought he could be a QB OF for an organization and a steal as long as you didn't over pay for him. A guy I would've liked Green Bay to draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, their roster was gutted this offseason and they have no cap space, so probably almost all of the rookies will make it.
Gotta like that. LaFleur will have plenty of targets to pick on.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
22 Justin Jefferson - WR
31 Jeff Gladney - CB
58 Ezra Cleveland - OT
89 Cameron Dantzler - CB
117 DJ Wonnum - Edge
130 James Lynch - DL
132 Troy Dye - LB
169 Harrison Hand - CB
176 KJ Osborn - WR
203 Blake Brandel - OT
205 Josh Metellus - S
225 Kenny Willekes - DE
244 Nate Stanley - QB
249 Brian Cole - S
253 Kyle Hinton - OG

There are two players from their class that I personally watched quite a bit, one that I didn't like and one that I really did.

I think Justin Jefferson is the most overrated prospect from this class. He played in the most talented offense in college football and was protected by scheme more than any other player in the system. He's got fantastic hands and ball skills, but otherwise he was not a plus separator and did not have to deal with press. He accumulated a ton of his production by sitting in spots against zone looks, and a lot of the single coverage he faced was against 3rd corners, safeties, and even linebackers. The Vikings use less 11 personnel than literally anyone else in the league, so Jefferson will undoubtedly have to prove himself playing on the line against top NFL cornerbacks. He could certainly develop and has the physical tools to do so, but I also think there's a strong chance that he disappoints when taken out of that cushy college role.

I have no idea what they're trying to do at WR. Their top four guys all operate best out of the slot, and they hardly ever play 11. I think the loss of Diggs is going to hurt that offense a lot more than people realize. Jefferson isn't even close to a replacement. He's actually far more similar to the receiver they still have: Adam Thielen.

Cleveland, on the other hand, is a guy I really liked. He has elite traits as a LT prospect. I personally thought he was more developed than he got credit for. He played almost all of 2019 through a turf toe injury, but was more than holding his own against FSU to start the season (his injury happened late in that game). He's ideally suited to their offense. He may need a year, but I fear they probably found a good LT for the foreseeable future. And while athleticism =/= ability, tackles with his metrics have a really high hit rate.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are two players from their class that I personally watched quite a bit, one that I didn't like and one that I really did.

I think Justin Jefferson is the most overrated prospect from this class. He played in the most talented offense in college football and was protected by scheme more than any other player in the system. He's got fantastic hands and ball skills, but otherwise he was not a plus separator and did not have to deal with press. He accumulated a ton of his production by sitting in spots against zone looks, and a lot of the single coverage he faced was against 3rd corners, safeties, and even linebackers. The Vikings use less 11 personnel than literally anyone else in the league, so Jefferson will undoubtedly have to prove himself playing on the line against top NFL cornerbacks. He could certainly develop and has the physical tools to do so, but I also think there's a strong chance that he disappoints when taken out of that cushy college role.

I have no idea what they're trying to do at WR. Their top four guys all operate best out of the slot, and they hardly ever play 11. I think the loss of Diggs is going to hurt that offense a lot more than people realize. Jefferson isn't even close to a replacement. He's actually far more similar to the receiver they still have: Adam Thielen.

Cleveland, on the other hand, is a guy I really liked. He has elite traits as a LT prospect. I personally thought he was more developed than he got credit for. He played almost all of 2019 through a turf toe injury, but was more than holding his own against FSU to start the season (his injury happened late in that game). He's ideally suited to their offense. He may need a year, but I fear they probably found a good LT for the foreseeable future. And while athleticism =/= ability, tackles with his metrics have a really high hit rate.
I feel the same way about Jefferson.
Anthony Barr has a potential out option in his contract (2021). Either Vikings trade him or release him (but ~8 mil dead cap). Dye has similar physical traits (other than weight) and play style to Barr. Dye was someone I was high on predraft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

31- Osborn were the best of their selections and what caught my eye. You already know I didn't want Jefferson. Stanley late is also an excellent grab for a guy I strongly feel could be a solid back up in the league for years...if not start mid-career.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Got to thinking about Love going 26 after Detroit, Chicago (Mack trade) and Minnesota. If Love becomes a great. NFL QB in the years ahead, we’re going to have a Rodgers redux to giggle about when chiding our NFC north brethren.

Members online

Latest posts