Mike Neal "Virtually Unblockable"

H

HardRightEdge

I will make the less than bold prediction that Neal will not be re-signed after this season. The good news is we're paying him only $630,000 for 2013.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Neal showed up to OTAs at 275 lbs. I don't believe that was planned or expected by the team. That's probably too light to play DE in base or DT in nickel. He's now scaled more like a 4-3 DE...Perry conversion redux.

In base, we have Raji or Pickett for DE on the strong side and Datone Jones on the weak side. We have several options for the DTs in nickel...Raji, Daniels, Jones, Worthy when healthy. It's not like Neal was guaranteed to be anything more than a rotational player once we drafted Jones.

It looks like an attempt to make lemonade out of lemons, which is not a criticism of the coaches...trying to fit Neal into some OLB sets is a way to derive some residual value.

I'm skeptical of the "unblockable" claims. We've heard some excitement and encouraging words over the years regarding slow OLBs, along with Greene's assurances that 4.8 speed (if Neal can even crack that number) at the position is not a problem. Yet, we continue to have issues and those promising names are gone.
I actually think the staff asked him to cut weight. Even if they hadn't, from the start of OTA's to TC is more than enough time to put on 10 lbs and then some. They saw a guy who could get pressure, and decided to gadget him in. This does not surprise me. Not like he was effective in base as a DE anyway, but that 3 tech value in nickel... I'd be much more comfortable with him at 280.

H

HardRightEdge

I actually think the staff asked him to cut weight. Even if they hadn't, from the start of OTA's to TC is more than enough time to put on 10 lbs and then some. They saw a guy who could get pressure, and decided to gadget him in. This does not surprise me. Not like he was effective in base as a DE anyway, but that 3 tech value in nickel... I'd be much more comfortable with him at 280.

Neal's loss of weight was intentional. He said he cut back on lifting to drop the weight and add quickness. It's like he intentionally doesn't want to play 3-4 DE any more, kind of like Perry packing on lbs. for the Combine to let teams know he wanted to play 4-3 DE.

Sometimes teams suggest or hint where a guy should be weight wise, but I think mostly they make the decision on their own. As an example, I recall when Finley showed up in 2011 at 240 lbs. and MM commented, "So, we're not going to be blocking any more?" Matthews talks about adding or dropping 5 or 10 every year describing it in terms of what HE wants to accomplish. Jenkins decided to get more fit and lighter for his contract year...he didn't take off for a month this off season as is his usual habit.

Teams seem to go after the big men and their conditioning issues more than anything else...get down from 360 to 340 for example.

The Neal thing makes so little sense I don't see how it could have been part of any preconceived team plan.

I hate to throw around loose accusations, but Neal was busted for PEDs once already. Strange decisions often come from multiple reasons. It's possible Neal wanted to get off of something sooner rather than later as the HGH testing is getting closer to reality, it's his contract year, and downsizing and gaining some quickness might draw some interest in him as a 4-3 end for the FA market.

He can't play 3-4 end at that weight under any scenario, and especially not with his skill set. It's kind of funny...the ESPN depth chart doesn't show him at all on the D-Line, only at OLB. That's the way I would have done it.

Last edited by a moderator:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be true of an established player, safe in his position. Matthews, for instance, has scored only one win in practice one-on-ones as of last week...he says he's experimenting with some new moves.

Neal and Perry are converted DEs who have not even established a baseline at the position. They don't have enough demonstrated strong points to be messing around with weak points. These guys are competing for snaps; they will be trying to put their best foot forward.

Both Perry and Neal have well established effective bull rush techniques and both players are almost certainly safe for roster cutdowns. I'd be shocked if Coach Greene doesn't have these two working on other parts of their game. Better to do it now than have them dinking around in games that matter. I'm not trying to be contrarian, I just hope that you're wrong.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I hate to throw around loose accusations, but Neal was busted for PEDs once already. Strange decisions often come from multiple reasons. It's possible Neal wanted to get off of something sooner rather than later as the HGH testing is getting closer to reality, it's his contract year, and downsizing and gaining some quickness might draw some interest in him as a 4-3 end for the FA market.
Allegedly that PED was adderol. :rolleyes: Riiiiiight.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too. I find myself saying that a lot. As with the children in Lake Wobegon, I wish all our players were above average. :tup:

Well I don't recall being too impressed with our pass rush back in the pre-season of 2010 either. This wouldn't be the first time we were pleasantly surprised when the season started.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made 2010 work was Cullen Jenkins and better play out of Raji giving the secondary and Woodson time to pick off passes and sack the quarterback. We've been our heals instead of attacking ever since...

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made 2010 work was Cullen Jenkins and better play out of Raji giving the secondary and Woodson time to pick off passes and sack the quarterback. We've been our heals instead of attacking ever since...

Prior to 2010 neither Raji nor Jenkins had done much of anything. Raji barely played his rookie season and Jenkins was a practice night all star and a game night dud. That situation wasn't unlike our current one where we're hoping that 3 underachievers up their games.

H

HardRightEdge

And if he is still with the team you will be asked for an apology. ;)

If he's still with the team I will apologize...provided he plays well. ;) So far, I've not seen this new linebacker-Neal incarnation get off a block or burst around anybody. :(

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we'll be ready if we end up having to face any giant rubber bands this season
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts