Mike McCarthy story - LONG and worth the read

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
That was a great article. I've had a lot of respect for MM, and rarely want him fired. As a coach he has been through some pretty epic losses but he still doesn't seem to let that affect him the upcoming year. Loved the fact that they mentioned how involved he is with the Children's hospital. McCarthy is one of those coaches that while I feel is under appreciated by the media, is madly respected by his peers.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a great article. I've had a lot of respect for MM, and rarely want him fired. As a coach he has been through some pretty epic losses but he still doesn't seem to let that affect him the upcoming year. Loved the fact that they mentioned how involved he is with the Children's hospital. McCarthy is one of those coaches that while I feel is under appreciated by the media, is madly respected by his peers.
And his players too I think. I thought they were hiring him when he was OC for an anemic 49ers offense. Great job by TT to bring him in.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought they were hiring him when he was OC for an anemic 49ers offense.

McCarthy was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers in 2005. You have to wonder if he had something to do with the team drafting Alex Smith with the first overall pick that year over Rodgers.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers in 2005. You have to wonder if he had something to do with the team drafting Alex Smith with the first overall pick that year over Rodgers.

Didn't MM say he wanted Rodgers? I could be mistaken but I thought I read/heard that somewhere.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Great article, thanks for posting it weeds.

From what I remember McCarthy did favor Smith and Rodgers gave him crap about it (in a light hearted way).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article, thanks for posting it weeds.

From what I remember McCarthy did favor Smith and Rodgers gave him crap about it (in a light hearted way).
That's how I remembered it too,

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's an interesting point and the answer is likely yes, given MMs experience with QBs. Even though I hate to admit it, I wasn't crazy about Rodgers. He held the ball way too high, next to his head. I think those three years behind Favre were invaluable. If he had been forced to start as a rookie, it's possible he's not playing today. That's a bit controversial but only an opinion. At any rate, we know what happened. And I don't think I could fault taking Smith over Rodgers in 2005. I'm just happy it played out as it did. Rodgers learned how to take and process a lot of unwarranted criticism replacing Favre. His emotional make up has as much to do with his success as his physical talent.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts