1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Michael Sam, 2014 draft prospect, announces he´s gay

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by captainWIMM, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    I don't follow college ball much but why if he's defensive player of the year is he projected so low in the draft?

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,005
    Well, he was a DE at Missouri but projects as an OLB in the NFL. He hasn't been asked to drop into coverage a lot in college, so teams can only project how he'll fare doing it. He has only average ability to change directions and struggles to seperate from blockers once engaged.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    I wish guys on the Packers well, and that's it.
    Odds are 31/32 this guy is on another team.
    So therefore, I don't wish him well, unless he's playing against our rival at that particular time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    His senior Bowl tape was brutal

5. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Because production doesn't translate to the NFL as well as some might think. There are other factors.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    Exactly.
    See EVERETTE BROWN.

7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Suppose he does get onto a team.
    Would he start/play in a game just because he is a novelty or would it be that he is good enough?
    If he is only up to practice squad material would the team dare to keep him there risking the backlash from the gay supporters and the media? Or would they play him just because he is gay being unfair to all the straight players on the PS?
    Why didn't he wait to come out of the locker until after he was already on a team?
    Is he doing this to guarantee a spot on an NFL team's roster?

8. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    I think this hurts Sam with most teams...If I know TT I think there's no way he drafts Sam. To much distraction...unknowns.

If you draft this kid is training camp gonna be a circus? I think it will be.
    What happens when an idiot teammate/fans say the wrong thing. Media circus. What happens if he gets no playing time or gets cut...Is it cause he's gay? Media circus (ESPN will move world headquarters to whatever training camp the kid ends up at).

I just think there's too much of a distraction...not from anything he did wrong, but the media is watt too obsessed with this issue. No matter how many people come out as gay it's always like the first time ever.

All that being said...it only takes one team to take him as a statement that they will deal with all the hype.I could see a few teams who would take him for some good PR.

9. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Welcome to the Jets Mr Sam. Hope your pro day helps make up for your poor combine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +615
    After the college season, Sam was described as "not athletic" and projected as a 3rd defensive end or 3rd outside linebacker. He was pegged with a 3rd-4th round draft grade. After a poor Senior Bowl and horrendous showing at the Combine, Sam might not even be drafted. The story shouldn't be about him being gay, the story should if Sam will even be drafted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    Haha that's exactly who I had in mind. The Dolphins too...they could probably use some good press.