Draft Grades- 2014

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
At the moment we are all understandably preoccupied with the 2017 class. However, draft grades put out right after the players are chosen make very little sense. In reality, they are used for click bait or serve as a platform for people to just share their thoughts on the prospects.

After three seasons, however, I think it's fair to assess a class. By that time, players have usually had time to demonstrate who they are on the field (though exceptions exist for various reasons-- e.g. Nick Perry). So with that said, I think this is the time of year to grade the 2014 class.

Round 1, Pick 21: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: HHCD broke the mold in terms of athletic profile that the Packers usually draft. He isn't a bad athlete by any means, but he also isn't the type of freak that TT tends to target. Players like him serve as proof that the front office is willing to go "off type" if the right football player falls to them, which I appreciate. Clinton-Dix has steadily progressed, and was a 2nd Team All-Pro in 2016. This becomes all the more impressive when you look at the players who came off after him. With a few exceptions, it is a minefield of disappointments. A

Round 2, Pick 53: Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State:
2014 will always be famous for its wide receivers. And while the Packers didn't land any of the elites at the top of round one, they did get in on the action in round 2. Adams is the perfect explanation of why you need to wait to apply draft grades. After a promising rookie season, Adams struggled with injury through a rough 2015 season. Last year saw him bounce back in a huge way as a very capable WR2 and redzone threat. The only gripe with this selection is that it left Allen Robinson on the board, who would almost certainly be even better than Adams on this roster. B+

Round 3, Pick 85: Khyri Thornton, DL, Southern Miss:
In Thornton, TT took a swing on a small school DL with some measurables that indicated explosion. If I recall correctly, Thornton was a late riser due to the Senior Bowl and his workouts. In my opinion, the goal of a pick in the top 3 rounds is to become a starter or major role player. Thornton made it one season before bouncing to the Patriots and then the Lions. He hasn't done anything in any of the three places. That's a big miss. F

Round 3, Pick 98: Richard Rodgers, TE, Cal:
Rodgers was a strange pick by TT standards. He was a sub standard athlete who some projected as a good Y TE. His hands were and are his best asset. In the pros, he has been laughable as a blocker and is generally just a catch and fall option in the passing game. He isn't dynamic, but has been reliable in his role when called upon. He has a 58/510/8 season to his name. That said, he hasn't been nearly good enough to be considered a starter moving forward. Not a total bust, but certainly not what you'd want out of a late 3rd round pick. C-

Round 4, Pick 121: Carl Bradford, LB, ASU:
Bradford was a strange prospect in that he was an edge player at ASU whose lack of length projected to the ILB position in the pros. TT tried him as a conversion prospect, and it failed. In the 4th round, a player isn't necessarily a bust if he can't become a starter, but Bradford could not even manage to become a ST contributor. For that reason, he's another pure miss. F

Round 5, Pick 161: Corey Linsley, C, OSU:
If not for injury, Linsley would have started all 48 games of his first three years so far. He was solid and steady as a rookie, and has remained so since. It looks as though he will be a staple of the offensive line for a long time to come. In the 5th round, finding an instant quality starter is about as good as it gets. A+

Round 5, Pick 176: Jared Abbrederis, WR, WISC:
The Pack took a late shot on this WR because of his decent size (6'1"), speed (4.50), and route running ability. A torn ACL cost him his rookie season, and concussions dogged him. Injuries in general cloud whether he ever could have been a contributor. But in the end he did very little. You can cut a little break for the bad luck, but this wasn't a good pick. D-

Round 6, Pick 197: Demetri Goodson, DB, Baylor:
In standard TT form, Goodson was a gamble on undeveloped athleticism. While he hasn't emerged as a diamond in the rough, he has done enough to stick around with help on ST and the occasional defensive contribution. His work last season, before getting injured, was competent in comparison to some others who saw the field. Far from a home rum, but in the 6th round you'll take these modest returns. C+

Round 7, Pick 236: Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State:
Hilariously, this is the most controversial player of the entire draft. His tantalizing physical skills have led many fans to believe that there should be a lot more production to be found here. But he can't run routes or digest the play book, which means he's never going to be a consistent factor on offense. However, he's been very important on special teams and he had a big clutch moment in the playoffs. That's good value when you're picking this late. B

Taken all together, I give this draft a B. It has yielded three starters, all of them above average and one of them an All-Pro. Three other players have yielded decent returns relative to their draft slot. Normally three starters of this caliber and some other help would be a highly successful draft, but two big misses in the top 4 rounds mar the final product. But the fact remains that it was a solid offering from everyone's favorite GM.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 solid starters and a couple of guys that see some time on the field still... that's a pretty good haul. Khyri is a head scratcher though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good stuff maynard. Thanks for sharing. One aspect of "post evaluation" of a player that the Packers draft, that I sometimes disagree with, is when a player leaves GB and either finds success or continued failure elsewhere and how that is viewed as a success or failure for the Packers. To me, that player is a failure if he didn't contribute to the Packers while he was on the team, no matter what he ends up doing elsewhere. I might even take it one step further, if he is successful elsewhere, then the failure is somewhat compounded in that it wasn't necessary a failure by TT in drafting him, but the Packer coaching staff for not getting good play out of him. That doesn't happen often and Casey Hayward might be an example of what I am talking about. You could give TT a higher grade for drafting him (based on what he is doing now), but while he was a Packer that grade would be less. Then if you factor in letting him walk away, because that talent wasn't seen at the time, I think your final grade should reflect that. For instance, if Abby all of a sudden becomes a stud in Detroit, would your D- grade go up or down or stay the same?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see how 2015 is graded after this season. So far that draft looks like good value in the middle rounds between Monty Ryan Hundley and Ripper, but those first two picks havent done much to inspire confidence.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Good stuff maynard. Thanks for sharing. One aspect of "post evaluation" of a player that the Packers draft, that I sometimes disagree with, is when a player leaves GB and either finds success or continued failure elsewhere and how that is viewed as a success or failure for the Packers. To me, that player is a failure if he didn't contribute to the Packers while he was on the team, no matter what he ends up doing elsewhere. I might even take it one step further, if he is successful elsewhere, then the failure is somewhat compounded in that it wasn't necessary a failure by TT in drafting him, but the Packer coaching staff for not getting good play out of him. That doesn't happen often and Casey Hayward might be an example of what I am talking about. You could give TT a higher grade for drafting him (based on what he is doing now), but while he was a Packer that grade would be less. Then if you factor in letting him walk away, because that talent wasn't seen at the time, I think your final grade should reflect that. For instance, if Abby all of a sudden becomes a stud in Detroit, would your D- grade go up or down or stay the same?

It would remain the same. But I would add what you allude to there-- a GM can be correct about a player and it might still be an organizational failure because he is not deployed correctly. Or a team's roster might be too strong to keep a late round pick who needs time to develop. Consider Lawrence Guy. Clearly the team was right to see something in him and take him in the 7th round, but they didn't have the space to keep him while he developed.

So if someone like Thornton or Abbrederis finally emerged for someone else, I would likely mention that fact in the comments that the FO was clearly correct to see value in those players, but I would leave the grade the same as I think the grade ought to reflect not just who the player became in time, but how the player was developed by the staff and deployed on Sundays.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aye but the draft is about finding talent, figuring out what to do with that talent is more about coaching.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Aye but the draft is about finding talent, figuring out what to do with that talent is more about coaching.

It's also about finding talent that's appropriate to how the coaches want to operate.

If someone wants to grade based solely on what happens to the players in time, here or elsewhere, I think that's fine but they should be clear that that's what they're going.

And at some point if the GM is providing the talent and the coach can't use it, it's on him to replace that ineffective coach.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From an absolute grade perspective I'd give Rodgers a bit higher, straight C to C+. Your analysis of him is correct, but he's had some important catches for us and I judge TE's as a more classic TE not the Big WR's they've become today. His blocking is sub par, but his hands are better. Solid C at least for me. Goodson would be a lower grade, C-. Janis makes me waffle. As a WR? C-/D Special teamer? A. Not sure how to weight and combine the 2 in an overall grade.

The rest I pretty much agree. Actually I guess overall I pretty much agree. Maybe A/B for Dix. I think he's slightly overrated, but not sure if it was because of the complete mess we had back there last year and there's another level to his game we didn't get to see, or if that's all there is?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
From an absolute grade perspective I'd give Rodgers a bit higher, straight C to C+. Your analysis of him is correct, but he's had some important catches for us and I judge TE's as a more classic TE not the Big WR's they've become today. His blocking is sub par, but his hands are better. Solid C at least for me. Goodson would be a lower grade, C-. Janis makes me waffle. As a WR? C-/D Special teamer? A. Not sure how to weight and combine the 2 in an overall grade.

The rest I pretty much agree. Actually I guess overall I pretty much agree. Maybe A/B for Dix. I think he's slightly overrated, but not sure if it was because of the complete mess we had back there last year and there's another level to his game we didn't get to see, or if that's all there is?

Yeah, it would seem that our differences are quite small. Which is to be expected... we've actually seen these guys play, after all.

I think judging Rodgers as a pure TE rather than a receiving threat actually casts a less favorable light on him, as he's completely deficient in half of the job. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make this year's roster. It will be based on how many TE's they want to keep and how much they see from the young, more talented Beau Sandland.

One of the reasons I give HHCD the pure "A" is because of where he was drafted. The top half of that first round is littered with good players, but the latter half is a minefield. Here are the picks:

17. C.J. Mosley
18. Calvin Pryor
19. Ja'Wuan James
20. Brandin Cooks
21. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
22. Johnny Manziel
23. Dee Ford
24. Darqueze Dennard
25. Jason Verrett
26. Marcus Smith
27. Deone Bucannon
28. Kelvin Benjamin
29. Dominique Easley
30. Jimmie Ward
31. Bradley Roby
32. Teddy Bridgewater

The only player in this mix in my opinion who is better than HHCD is Verrett, and he's almost never on the field. TT plucked an All-Pro out of a bunch of pretty disappointing players.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree (with Mondio) on Richard Rodgers, he will never be the Bennett/Gronk type of TE that everyone wants, nor was he meant to be. The guy shows consistent hands and is reliable 4-15 yards from the line of scrimmage to make that grab that picks up the first down or TD. Personally, I like seeing him in there on Red Zone or 3rd down plays, he scored 8 TDS in 2015 and he doesn't draw much attention from the defense, which gives him that ability to sneak out there and be in position to make the needed yardage.

D

Deleted member 6794

At the moment we are all understandably preoccupied with the 2017 class. However, draft grades put out right after the players are chosen make very little sense. In reality, they are used for click bait or serve as a platform for people to just share their thoughts on the prospects.

After three seasons, however, I think it's fair to assess a class. By that time, players have usually had time to demonstrate who they are on the field (though exceptions exist for various reasons-- e.g. Nick Perry). So with that said, I think this is the time of year to grade the 2014 class.

Round 1, Pick 21: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: HHCD broke the mold in terms of athletic profile that the Packers usually draft. He isn't a bad athlete by any means, but he also isn't the type of freak that TT tends to target. Players like him serve as proof that the front office is willing to go "off type" if the right football player falls to them, which I appreciate. Clinton-Dix has steadily progressed, and was a 2nd Team All-Pro in 2016. This becomes all the more impressive when you look at the players who came off after him. With a few exceptions, it is a minefield of disappointments. A

2014 will always be famous for its wide receivers. And while the Packers didn't land any of the elites at the top of round one, they did get in on the action in round 2. Adams is the perfect explanation of why you need to wait to apply draft grades. After a promising rookie season, Adams struggled with injury through a rough 2015 season. Last year saw him bounce back in a huge way as a very capable WR2 and redzone threat. The only gripe with this selection is that it left Allen Robinson on the board, who would almost certainly be even better than Adams on this roster. B+

Round 3, Pick 85: Khyri Thornton, DL, Miss. State:
In Thornton, TT took a swing on a small school DL with some measurables that indicated explosion. If I recall correctly, Thornton was a late riser due to the Senior Bowl and his workouts. In my opinion, the goal of a pick in the top 3 rounds is to become a starter or major role player. Thornton made it one season before bouncing to the Patriots and then the Lions. He hasn't done anything in any of the three places. That's a big miss. F

Rodgers was a strange pick by TT standards. He was a sub standard athlete who some projected as a good Y TE. His hands were and are his best asset. In the pros, he has been laughable as a blocker and is generally just a catch and fall option in the passing game. He isn't dynamic, but has been reliable in his role when called upon. He has a 58/510/8 season to his name. That said, he hasn't been nearly good enough to be considered a starter moving forward. Not a total bust, but certainly not what you'd want out of a late 3rd round pick. C-

Bradford was a strange prospect in that he was an edge player at ASU whose lack of length projected to the ILB position in the pros. TT tried him as a conversion prospect, and it failed. In the 4th round, a player isn't necessarily a bust if he can't become a starter, but Bradford could not even manage to become a ST contributor. For that reason, he's another pure miss. F

If not for injury, Linsley would have started all 48 games of his first three years so far. He was solid and steady as a rookie, and has remained so since. It looks as though he will be a staple of the offensive line for a long time to come. In the 5th round, finding an instant quality starter is about as good as it gets. A+

The Pack took a late shot on this WR because of his decent size (6'1"), speed (4.50), and route running ability. A torn ACL cost him his rookie season, and concussions dogged him. Injuries in general cloud whether he ever could have been a contributor. But in the end he did very little. You can cut a little break for the bad luck, but this wasn't a good pick. D-

In standard TT form, Goodson was a gamble on undeveloped athleticism. While he hasn't emerged as a diamond in the rough, he has done enough to stick around with help on ST and the occasional defensive contribution. His work last season, before getting injured, was competent in comparison to some others who saw the field. Far from a home rum, but in the 6th round you'll take these modest returns. C+

Hilariously, this is the most controversial player of the entire draft. His tantalizing physical skills have led many fans to believe that there should be a lot more production to be found here. But he can't run routes or digest the play book, which means he's never going to be a consistent factor on offense. However, he's been very important on special teams and he had a big clutch moment in the playoffs. That's good value when you're picking this late. B

Taken all together, I give this draft a B. It has yielded three starters, all of them above average and one of them an All-Pro. Three other players have yielded decent returns relative to their draft slot. Normally three starters of this caliber and some other help would be a highly successful draft, but two big misses in the top 4 rounds mar the final product. But the fact remains that it was a solid offering from everyone's favorite GM.

Mostly agree with your analysis although I would grade Goodson and Janis a little lower.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Mostly agree with your analysis although I would grade Goodson and Janis a little lower.

How to grade returns on picks that late is really hard to pin down. But ultimately, the importance is heavily weighted towards the top of the draft, so differences way down in the 6th and 7th round shouldn't be that big of a deal. I wouldn't really balk at lower grades on those guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

How to grade returns on picks that late is really hard to pin down. But ultimately, the importance is heavily weighted towards the top of the draft, so differences way down in the 6th and 7th round shouldn't be that big of a deal. I wouldn't really balk at lower grades on those guys.

FWIW the Packers 2014 draft class ranks seventh in the league in Pro Football Refernce's weighted career approximate value accumulated for the team that drafted this player.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Round 3, Pick 85: Khyri Thornton, DL, Miss. State:

Very good analysis. Some hits, a couple of misses, but on the whole, a pretty solid draft.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
FWIW the Packers 2014 draft class ranks seventh in the league in Pro Football Refernce's weighted career approximate value accumulated for the team that drafted this player.

That seems appropriate. Hopefully in a couple years we will see it as a turning point back up from the relative down years that preceeded it.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We picked Janis. I mean, Jeff Janis! How can this draft be anything other than a glorious success.

#makejanisgreatagain

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha, I completely forgot about Goodson, funny how I have never seen him mentioned in the discussion pre-draft for a starting gig in the boiling, hazardous stew that is our secondary. But I guess with King and House now arriving that is not happening (thank god).

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just wondering after drafting three running backs......Do one or two of them get cut or sent to the practice squad ?
I don't think all three make the 53 man roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was just wondering after drafting three running backs......Do one or two of them get cut or sent to the practice squad ?
I don't think all three make the 53 man roster.

It's all but guaranteed that not all three running backs drafted make it on the final roster.

Members online

Latest posts