Mel Kiper's Mock(s)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I saw he had his first mock up and I know it is all guessing game but I trust him the most usually...if I caught it right on Golic & Wingo he said he had Green Bay picking the Penn State WR at #30. Can anyone confirm this? I refuse to become an ESPN Insider to access the full thing

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I saw he had his first mock up and I know it is all guessing game but I trust him the most usually...if I caught it right on Golic & Wingo he said he had Green Bay picking the Penn State WR at #30. Can anyone confirm this? I refuse to become an ESPN Insider to access the full thing
You're right. its KJ Hamler.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. its KJ Hamler.

Hmm....be curious to know what WRs he has us take him over. His size and frame makes him like a multi-tool which I feel MLF would love to have, but I know many desire that typical large, fast and tall outside wideout. I wouldn't be sad to see such a pick at all.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just not a huge fan of WR's in the first. I'd rather trade down.

I'll be honest, this is the first year I'd not hesitate grabbing one in the first. By far this is the first time I can remember in a long time the need at that position truly could cause an almost "must leave" draft with arguably "the" guy. Now granted given the depth at WR, it could fall into Gute's hands he has multiple choices and could find a trade partner in the early 2nd round

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of OTs and WRs available that would rate mid to late first. I'm sure there will still be a good one available there for us. I'm fine with either position or ILB Murray if he somehow makes it to us.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of OTs and WRs available that would rate mid to late first. I'm sure there will still be a good one available there for us. I'm fine with either position or ILB Murray if he somehow makes it to us.

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts....the one "wildcard" I would toss out is Kole Kmet TE from Notre Dame...I suspect this kid is going to be special and could sneak into the first round. I'm usually a staunch no TE in first...but this late in the round I wouldn't argue it depending how it unfolds.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Personally, I would not be a fan of KJ Hamler in the first round. Taking a guy of his size is a risk in the NFL, let alone the first round. I love his quickness, but it is hard to imagine a guy that is 5'9 and 175 pounds is an immediate starter in the NFL. 3rd round? Absolutely, most guys here are developmental players, but in the first round the packers could get an immediate starter.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I would not be a fan of KJ Hamler in the first round. Taking a guy of his size is a risk in the NFL, let alone the first round. I love his quickness, but it is hard to imagine a guy that is 5'9 and 175 pounds is an immediate starter in the NFL
Im also not a fan of taking a 5'9" 175lb WR in the first.. But with guys like Hollywood Brown making it.. its hard to choose if its the exception or not. Gute said it best when he said you dont want a team full of exceptions.

pat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Penn State play every week and Hamler is explosive with pretty good hands. However, he was also the qb's roommate and seemed to be the first option even when he wasn't. Penn State lost a few receivers to the portal believing that would be the case.

Reaction score
My head tells me go WR. My gut tells me let’s put the finishing touch on the Defense if someone slides a bit. Either LB or DT.
I think we can still find a really good Wideout day 2 draft. We should strongly consider doubling down by first acquiring a reasonably priced veteran WR.

The only reason I would trade back out of round 1 is to then consolidate those resources to move into the top #50 range a second time by packaging picks if necessary.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My head tells me go WR. My gut tells me let’s put the finishing touch on the Defense if someone slides a bit. Either LB or DT.
I think we can still find a really good Wideout day 2 draft. We should strongly consider doubling down by first acquiring a reasonably priced veteran WR.

The only reason I would trade back out of round 1 is to then consolidate those resources to move into the top #50 range a second time by packaging picks if necessary.
I agree. Even in a normal year (whatever that is) good WRs can be had in round two. I think Adams and Jennings were 2nd round.

My bigger concern is ILB. I don’t think we’ll find a starter at #30. With Martinez likely gone, that means Gluten is going to have to find that guy in FA.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in this draft class you're definitely rolling the dice more at ILB for a STUD at 30...but there is a chance.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in this draft class you're definitely rolling the dice more at ILB for a STUD at 30...but there is a chance.
Agree. These guys go quickly in the draft. Given that and the depth of WR, I’d risk the pick on a wide out and then pray he can quickly contribute. I think Gluten will have to use FA for an ILB.

Reaction score
Agree. These guys go quickly in the draft. Given that and the depth of WR, I’d risk the pick on a wide out and then pray he can quickly contribute. I think Gluten will have to use FA for an ILB.
I’d also attempt to get one in FA. We obviously don’t know for certain yet their decision on Martinez, but ideally we hit LB and WR twice each and use any measure to accomplish it (FA, Draft, trade etc..) We need some stiff competition at both positions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d also attempt to get one in FA. We obviously don’t know for certain yet their decision on Martinez, but ideally we hit LB and WR twice each and use any measure to accomplish it (FA, Draft, trade etc..) We need some stiff competition at both positions.
If Gluten can score a #2 WR and a solid and FAST ILB in FA...... best possible scenario.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gute and MLF are on the same page, I can't see them drafting Hamler. Gute has already expressed his mold for WRs, anyone smaller than Adams is probably a no go. 5'9 and 176 is just too light for a team that should be emphasizing the run. Corners and Safeties are just going to bully him into the ball carrier. He'll goto a spread offense like the Chiefs and Cardinals, or a team that has a dangerous balanced attack like the Ravens and Saints.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gute and MLF are on the same page, I can't see them drafting Hamler. Gute has already expressed his mold for WRs, anyone smaller than Adams is probably a no go. 5'9 and 176 is just too light for a team that should be emphasizing the run. Corners and Safeties are just going to bully him into the ball carrier. He'll goto a spread offense like the Chiefs and Cardinals, or a team that has a dangerous balanced attack like the Ravens and Saints.

I tend to agree. Now what does fit is a versatile running back with history or skills on outside...that I could see.

Or a TE hybrid like Bryant in the draft...that essentially is a split out TE type.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You seriously think the Packers won't draft a WR smaller than 6'1 210?

C'mon now.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't....not with this GM.

Of course "never say never" is the saying, so I'll leave with one caveat....Day 3 picks only. A guy slides and Gute says, "the hell with it, why not....let's throw something against the wall and see if it sticks." I'm sure there are always times in the Draft where teams' guys are off the board, and either the coach or the regional scouts have their "gems" that they start lobbying to the GM for the selection.

Last edited:

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just not a huge fan of WR's in the first. I'd rather trade down.

We desperately need real quality wide receivers. This draft is loaded with top end wide receiver talent. If there was ever a year to pick a WR in the 1st round, this is the year. It would fill a big need and likely also be the best player available.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We desperately need real quality wide receivers. This draft is loaded with top end wide receiver talent. If there was ever a year to pick a WR in the 1st round, this is the year. It would fill a big need and likely also be the best player available.

So wait....let's say we agree that the draft is loaded with top end wide receiver talent (because we do). That means there is a surplus in comparison to other spots of true talent and vs past draft histories.

So with that in mind I guess I don't understand why the statement "if there was ever a year to pick a WR in the first it is this year"?

If there is a deeper pool why not wait? Or trade back depending how your board is shaking out? Personally, I'm not in the camp of don't draft a WR in the 1st, but depending on whether a WR run occurs or not it may be incredibly misguided grabbing one if your board at #30 still shows 10 or so guys the team is fairly certain can walk in and be a contributor opposite Adams. Now if a heavy WR run happens and your left with 2 or 3...IMO the position is a big enough need to either discuss trade options only a few slots back for minimal risk of losing one of the few remaining or nab the one highest on your board and be happy.

I personally think a run on QBs (minimum 4 exit that first round....would not be shocked at all for a 5th late in the 1st) is flirting with causing some shuffling and that will impact what teams are where and that could change the WR perspective. I also think, or call it a hunch, the defensive concept seeing success in SF illustrates to teams the importance of building a stout defense in today's league...many argue the defensive side of the ball is not as deep as some years and once past the dozen or so top-tier guys the shelf gets bare quickly...for that I am thinking more and more we could see a fairly good collection of WR talent to pick from at #30 with the top tier defensive guys taking more picks than many presently predict.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't....not with this GM.

Of course "never say never" is the saying, so I'll leave with one caveat....Day 3 picks only. A guy slides and Gute says, "the hell with it, why not....let's throw something against the wall and see if it sticks." I'm sure there are always times in the Draft where teams' guys are off the board, and either the coach or the regional scouts have their "gems" that they start lobbying to the GM for the selection.
Ya can’t go strictly by height and wait, but WRs are getting taller and bigger (or so it seems to me). Just my gut, but I don’t like the idea of a WR under 6” tall. There are always exceptions, but to me, taller and faster is better than shorter and faster. That is NOT a hard and fast rule.

Members online

Latest posts