Measuring Up.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of going into the season with two centers who haven't played a single down in the league. Re-sign EDS.

I didn't like the idea of starting the season with a QB who hadn't started a game before. But then I learned to trust the coaches. If they see this guy every day and feel he can come in and play to the level expected then I'm not going to complain.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't like the idea of starting the season with a QB who hadn't started a game before. But then I learned to trust the coaches. If they see this guy every day and feel he can come in and play to the level expected then I'm not going to complain.

Well, we haven't heard anything that would suggest the coaches think that Tretter should be our starting center.

In addition, Tretter's a fourth round pick who missed all offseason and most of the regular season practices in his only season while Rodgers was a potential #1 overall pick that learned a lot during his three years on the bench.

So I really don't think that's a valid comparison.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we haven't heard anything that would suggest the coaches think that Tretter should be our starting center.

In addition, Tretter's a fourth round pick who missed all offseason and most of the regular season practices in his only season while Rodgers was a potential #1 overall pick that learned a lot during his three years on the bench.

So I really don't think that's a valid comparison.

Centers are not drafted high, both spent time on the bench, QB is the most important position in sports. I think it's very valid.

I don't think the packers are going to make public statements when they are about to get into contract talks with eds. Why would they? Say he won't be the starter then make him an offer? That makes no sense. If they let him go that's how they make their statement. It's wait and see. But if the packers do roll with a center they have spent a year watching and you haven't, you should give them the benefit of the doubt

D

Deleted member 6794

But if the packers do roll with a center they have spent a year watching and you haven't, you should give them the benefit of the doubt

Tretter practiced for some weeks on the scout team, that's all they saw of him.

I'm not sure I have to give them
the benefit of the doubt before I see him
play, they've been wrong about some other guys, on whom they had film to evaluate on (Does McMillan and M.D. Jennings ring a bell???)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure I have to give them
the benefit of the doubt before I see him
play, they've been wrong about some other guys, on whom they had film to evaluate on (Does McMillan and M.D. Jennings ring a bell???)

You're right, you know more without seeing than they know. Why would you ever trust any coaching staff that has made a mistake before.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Dec 6th 2013

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...g-skills-at-center-b99158059z1-234857661.html

This was the first on-field work for Tretter since May 20, when he suffered a broken fibula in a fumble recovery drill and underwent surgery two days later.

"He's got a long way to go but I like what I've seen so far," said Larry McCarren, the team's starting center from 1974-'84 who is permitted to watch every practice in full in his role as analyst on the Packers' radio network.

"He looks like a natural knee bender, and that's where your power comes from. He seems to be technique-orientated; he's not all over the place. He's detail-orientated.

"I think he's probably a center-guard prospect. Just body type."

Mike Trgovac, who coaches the defensive line, took notice of Tretter in May.

"He looks like he can really fit into this scheme," said Trgovac. "I've seen him do some things where I said, 'Wow. He's going to be a good offensive lineman.'"

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...s-activate-j-c-tretter-send-myles-white-to-ir

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Tretter had spent the previous three weeks working out at center, apparently looking good enough to convince the Packers to give him a roster spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right, you know more without seeing than they know.

Please let me know where I said anything like that.

Why would you ever trust any coaching staff that has made a mistake before.

It's fine if you want to trust them with Tretter. I highly doubt some weeks of working on the scout team should be enough to hand him the starting job.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what positions do you see as a need to improve? Just depth? The whole line? Tackle?

An ILB who is the whole package. One that can run, tackle, AND cover. Negating Vernon Davis and/or running backs (Reggie Bush) in the passing game would be huge and this is what we could do in our SB year with Nick Collins. Another player seldom mentioned is Brandon Chillar. He helped cover the big TEs down the field with Nick Collins. The defense had more options for successful schemes than we do now. I think the OL will be ok-add a LT type in the fourth like we did last year to compete and add depth (Newhouse's spot)... added to Bulaga, Sherrod, Bakhtiari and Barclay (G/T backup).

Need to add talented ILB and Safety IMO. Hoping for Ryan Shazier out of Ohio State at 21 in the first. He should be there and would be good value I think at that spot. He is a guy that can run, good in coverage and looks to be a good tackler as well as a guy who could be a good blitzer up the middle. Also would be a guy who can run down Kapernick if he trys to run. Capers had a good plan...just needs that guy in the middle who can keep Kapernick from taking off running. Also a decent safety as another guy who can tackle, cover and run. Another guy I like is Van Noy from BYU, but not sure if he fits as well as Shazier for what we need right now. Would be great if we somehow got both Shazier and Van Noy and played some 'psycho' packages with 5 LBers and 1 DL (Daniels) like we did in our SB year. Not sure yet who I like at S, but not sold on Clinton Dix in the first....would rather take the LB there and find the S in round 2 or 3. Move Hyde to Safety (Hayward should be back to play the slot)...take Shazier 1st round and Van Noy (trade up in 2nd for our 3rd round pick to get Van Noy). Get a TE, WR and OL depth in Round 4-5. If we somehow got both those LBs I think our defense would be a lot tougher to deal with.

D

Deleted member 6794

You said scout team... I found he was on the roster

I said he only took practice reps with the scout team offense, that has nothing to do with him being or not being on the roster. The practice squad (8 players) would have a hard time lining up an entire offense on their own.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I said he only took practice reps with the scout team offense, that has nothing to do with him being or not being on the roster. The practice squad (8 players) would have a hard time lining up an entire offense on their own.

Being on roster means he gets to be with his coaches??

Scout team no real work with the coaches ??

If true then doesnt that mean they really see how good he can be??

D

Deleted member 6794

Being on roster means he gets to be with his coaches??

Scout team no real work with the coaches ??

If true then doesnt that mean they really see how good he can be??

As far as I know the scout team mimics the offense of the next opponent during practice, not sure the coaches can evaluate a player based on that work.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Practice scout players practice along side the offense. You only hear about them in the media when they mimic a certain player. A center isnt going to mimic another center.

D

Deleted member 6794

Practice scout players practice along side the offense. You only hear about them in the media when they mimic a certain player. A center isnt going to mimic another center.

You´re really on a run!!! Here´s some information about what a scout-team offense does during practice in the regular season:

During the regular season, the 11-on-11 portion of practice is divided into the No. 1 offense working against a scout-team defense and the No. 1 defense working against a scout-team offense.

During his five seasons as offensive coordinator, Joe Philbin was so insistent upon getting precise looks that he ran the scout-team defense each day in practice. After instructing players how to read the cards with the opponent's plays diagrammed on them, Philbin would be the only offensive coach standing behind the defense.

It´s a little bit tough to get information about it, but here´s a Journal Sentinel article from last year: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/green-bay-packers-scout-team-defended-e9770tp-173980081.html

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

What is your point? Are you actually questioning just how much practice squad players get coached up and looked at?

No, I want to explain that guys practicing on the scout team mimic the system of next week´s opponent.

GreenDeath

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I want to explain that guys practicing on the scout team mimic the system of next week´s opponent.
Yep, a few weeks ago the Patriots had Ryan Mallett out there pretending to be Peyton Manning going against the Pats first string defense. It obviously didn't work too well judging by the outcome of that game, but they had Mallett basically mimic every single call Manning has at the line the of scrimmage.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ooohhh...ok... because I think sometimes fans have a misconception about practice squad players. These guys get worked with big-time.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised no one has picked on the there aren't 7 players who could start for either team crap.

1. Aaron Rodgers would beat Russell Wilson, not sure about Manning.
2. Jordy Nelson would be the best receiver on either the Donks or the Hawks. Yes he would have scorched Thomas if Rodgers doesn't get hurt.
3. Randall Cobb is better than anything the Hawks have and would probably start for the Donks as a number 3.
4. Josh Sitton- Would start at LG on either team.
5. TJ Lang-would start for the Hawks
6. Eddie Lacy- would start for either team, no Lynch isn't as good.
7. Jerimichael Finley would start for either team

Defense

1. Clay Matthews could start at DE for either team.
2. Sam Shields is a number two corner for the Hawks and a number 1 for the Donks.
3. Tramon Williams beats out DRC and Bailey.
4. AJ Hawk starts over Wesley Woodyard for the Donks.
5. Mike Daniels would start on either team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You´re really on a run!!! Here´s some information about what a scout-team offense does during practice in the regular season:

It´s a little bit tough to get information about it, but here´s a Journal Sentinel article from last year: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/green-bay-packers-scout-team-defended-e9770tp-173980081.html

I think we all knew that scout team mimics the other teams def or off?? Some may just use different terms for it?

I wouldnt have ever said they mimic the opponents

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ooohhh...ok... because I think sometimes fans have a misconception about practice squad players. These guys get worked with big-time.
Some poster on here thinks the coaches don't get a good look at those guys in practice.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised no one has picked on the there aren't 7 players who could start for either team crap.

1. Aaron Rodgers would beat Russell Wilson, not sure about Manning.
2. Jordy Nelson would be the best receiver on either the Donks or the Hawks. Yes he would have scorched Thomas if Rodgers doesn't get hurt.
3. Randall Cobb is better than anything the Hawks have and would probably start for the Donks as a number 3.
4. Josh Sitton- Would start at LG on either team.
5. TJ Lang-would start for the Hawks
6. Eddie Lacy- would start for either team, no Lynch isn't as good.
7. Jerimichael Finley would start for either team

Defense

1. Clay Matthews could start at DE for either team.
2. Sam Shields is a number two corner for the Hawks and a number 1 for the Donks.
3. Tramon Williams beats out DRC and Bailey.
4. AJ Hawk starts over Wesley Woodyard for the Donks.
5. Mike Daniels would start on either team.

It would be interesting to see how Finley would start with his neck injury. Lang, Shields, Williams and Hawk might be close. Is Daniels really a "starter" in Green Bay or a subpackage player? Raji, Pickett, Jolly and Jones were counted as the "starting" d-line this past season.

Latest posts