mccarthys inconsistent playcalling

packer_backer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not complaining, i couldn't be happier with the W today and being 9-4. but does anyone else get annoyed at how the packers go from an attack type offense to conservative mode handing off a lot and throwing a bunch of low risk passes??

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what your saying, today we didnt attack much through the air. but I also understand its important to establish the running game. Especially late in the year. Also how windy was it today in chicago? I really don't know but that may have affected his play calling of it was too windy. And hey, we got the w. Can't complain about that....

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what your saying, today we didnt attack much through the air. but I also understand its important to establish the running game. Especially late in the year. Also how windy was it today in chicago? I really don't know but that may have affected his play calling of it was too windy. And hey, we got the w. Can't complain about that....

He makes a great point, The weather probably would have changed our game plan and handing off to our RB wasnt a bad decision anyway was it?

OP
OP
P

packer_backer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea the weather could have been a factor to how they approached. i also didnt know the bears were that good vs the pass. i thought their secondary sucks.

oh well. 9-4, bears - eliminated :happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think today there was a playcalling issue.

Actually, McCarthy has proved to be one of the best play designers in the league.

His problems early in the season was the AWFUL adaptability in face of the mighty struggles of the OL. Tauscher helped in that area, but I got to give credit where credit is due: Just when I thought he was broken beyond repair, McCarthy was able to adapt just in time.

I think this last game was on Rodgers. Some poor throws on his behalf.

It was a divisional game, against a hated rival, at their home, and, like Hauschild said, they're pretty good at pass defense. And it was freezing cold.

But it was a poor game. Lucky us we don't see much of those from him. He's pretty reliable, we don't see 5 tds game from him, but we don't see 3 pics game from him either. His average is 275 yards, 1.9 TDs 0,5 INTs per game...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am on the MM bandwagon, put I still carry that transfer pass.
You and me both. IF this teams goes to the playoffs and he's calling 50% of long passes, and calling for Crosby to kick 45+, and running the ball only 13 times in the cold, you can bet that I'll be one of the first calling for his head.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why he didn't run Grant more. He was doing well along with the O-Line opening some seams.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that's a good idea, Grant was doing so well though. Shouldn't preserve anyone next game, that's key. Focus on the steelers and if we win, then focus on the playoff's.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You and me both. IF this teams goes to the playoffs and he's calling 50% of long passes, and calling for Crosby to kick 45+, and running the ball only 13 times in the cold, you can bet that I'll be one of the first calling for his head.

Its hard to be critical when MM wins, but he is so predictable in his play calling, absolutely no poker face.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that's a good idea, Grant was doing so well though. Shouldn't preserve anyone next game, that's key. Focus on the steelers and if we win, then focus on the playoff's.

Bears #23 against the run, hence the production from Grant.

Pittsburgh is #1 against the run and #17 against the pass. The Packers' passing unit must bring its "A" game.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears #23 against the run, hence the production from Grant.

Pittsburgh is #1 against the run and #17 against the pass. The Packers' passing unit must bring its "A" game.

With this team its not so much the passing and the defense, those units will show up and perform. Its how well that O-line performs and these god awful special teams.

This team will go as far as the O-line and special teams take them. I can see MM in a playoff game start to take starters on defense/offense and insert them in special teams duties.

Therran D

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not complaining, i couldn't be happier with the W today and being 9-4. but does anyone else get annoyed at how the packers go from an attack type offense to conservative mode handing off a lot and throwing a bunch of low risk passes??

I agree. We need to utilize our receiving corp more, and run more play-action out of the gun. Not even the Bears secondary was foolded with some of MM's calls.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts