McCarthy should bring back Joe Philbin to help offense

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we bring back a younger Jones, Prime Greg Jennings, an effective Donald Driver, switch out RR for best season Finley, an almost 100 catch season for jordy Nelson and we'll keep randall cobb with Philbin too?

Requests denied . Heh. :p

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ooh ooh ooh...and.....THE GRAVEDIGGER!
my first pick would be healthy Nick Collins. I can think of 2 60 yard passes that would have resulted in 2 more INT's for Cam last sunday, but i'd take the grave digger too :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem as stated is the OL basically sucks this year. Philbin was an OL coach when MM took over. I recall without stats a decent line back then. Possibly his input could get that back? We were unhappy with Campen until last season. Maybe that was an anomaly?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem as stated is the OL basically sucks this year. Philbin was an OL coach when MM took over. I recall without stats a decent line back then. Possibly his input could get that back? We were unhappy with Campen until last season. Maybe that was an anomaly?
If he could do it, i'm all for it

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

If I recall, Holmgren, when with the Packers stated that his first priority in every draft was the offensive line.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and Mike Sherman completely ignored the OL in the draft and TT spent years trying to clean up that putrid mess

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't be unprecedented for a team to bring in an old assistant mid-season. I'd be all for it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting aside talent and coaching issues for a moment, and just looking at what we have now and for the rest of the season to work with, execution is the biggest problem here, along with mental errors. But in IMO, what may be the biggest current issue is what I sense to be a lack of confidence. This team needs to settle down and refocus.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind about the offense and the last two games, both games were on the road. The Packers offense seems to be at its best at home, when they run the no huddle offense more frequently. This seems to be when AR shines, keeping the Defense from substituting, a bit tired and jumpy. But its something that is difficult to run on the road due to crowd noise. I could be wrong, but I don't think this was used much in Denver or until late in the Carolina game. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the offense come out on Sunday, at home, playing at a very fast pace to try and get its mojo back. AR also thrives on reading the defense at the line of scrimmage and audibling out of the called play, something he seems to do less of in a noisy environment. I would like to know how many of his "free plays" after getting the defense to jump off sides have come at home VS on the road. Early in the season, he was thriving on the free plays.

So moving forward, IMO the Packers are going to need to figure out a way to run their fast paced, AR audible controlled offense in a noisy environment to regain that edge on opposing defenses.

Last edited:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my first pick would be healthy Nick Collins. I can think of 2 60 yard passes that would have resulted in 2 more INT's for Cam last sunday, but i'd take the grave digger too :)
Cam did throw for 432 yards his season high in only his second career start vs the Packers in 2011 before Collins was injured. But no doubt his presence is still missed.

Oddly enough that year the Packers pass defense actually struggled even with Collins that year giving up a pair of 400+ yard games with him in the lineup.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers offense is going three-and-out on 40% of drives, most in the NFL. Something needs to get fixed but the problems don't seem limited to any one area.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're going 3 and out so often because of failures on 1st and second down. Being in 3rd and 8 or longer so often doesn't give you much chance of success.

Reaction score
We're too predictable. I was joking with my Brother at Carolina that the Offense reminded me of the Lynn ****ey days. Run run pass punt. Run run pass punt. Run run pass punt...we used to joke.
That very next series we went run, run, pass punt. He looked at me and just shook his head
I can appreciate a HC wanting to oversee other aspects, much like a GM overseas his departments.. I agree. But when productivity comes to a halt, effecting the entire operation? It's the GMs job to revert back to what was working. This clearly ain't working... If it was getting better month to month I understand being patient but let's not wait until the shop is ready to close to fix a problem that takes all day. Let's fix it while it's afternoon, let's stay late and hammer this thing out. Get whatever resources are available before these small leaks sinks a big ship.. Captains orders.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

...and Mike Sherman completely ignored the OL in the draft and TT spent years trying to clean up that putrid mess

Cam did throw for 432 yards his season high in only his second career start vs the Packers in 2011 before Collins was injured. But no doubt his presence is still missed.

Oddly enough that year the Packers pass defense actually struggled even with Collins that year giving up a pair of 400+ yard games with him in the lineup.

At the time Collins was injured at Carolina with 12 minutes left in the fourth quarter Newton had thrown for 263 yards, had a TD and was intercepted three times. The rest of the game he threw for 169 yards on 14 attempts, completing three passes of 20+ yards. A sign for what was yet to come over the next few years.

Packers offense is going three-and-out on 40% of drives, most in the NFL. Something needs to get fixed but the problems don't seem limited to any one area.

Not sure where you've got the numbers from but according to Football Outsiders the Packers go three-and-out on 27.9% of their drives which is ranked 29th in the league.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the Packers get beat by the Lions, I see nothing of the sort happening. If they lose to the Lions, go 6-3 and face the prospects of not making the playoffs, MM and co. will make no changes.

The OL, the running game, the receivers, the play calling and Rodgers. They are all a problem and I have my doubts about whether enough of them can be fixed this season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the time Collins was injured at Carolina with 12 minutes left in the fourth quarter Newton had thrown for 263 yards, had a TD and was intercepted three times. The rest of the game he threw for 169 yards on 14 attempts, completing three passes of 20+ yards. A sign for what was yet to come over the next few years.

Not sure where you've got the numbers from but according to Football Outsiders the Packers go three-and-out on 27.9% of their drives which is ranked 29th in the league.

Believe I heard that on the radio. Not real sure having the third most three-and-outs vs the most is a meaningful difference.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They started the season using more two deep shells as opposed to playing Nick single high, i suspect that that explained part of the problem in the early going. When the Packers were able to play 8 in the box it mitigated the inability of our ILBs to cover.

D

Deleted member 6794

They started the season using more two deep shells as opposed to playing Nick single high, i suspect that that explained part of the problem in the early going. When the Packers were able to play 8 in the box it mitigated the inability of our ILBs to cover.

I can't remember the Packers formations early in the 2011 season anymore but I highly doubt it was Capers plan to play with two safeties high when having Collins on the field.

OP
OP
Favre3132

Favre3132

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers are interested and if Philbin is interested, could Philbin come in as an offensive consultant and help Rodgers and this offense get out of this funk? After today's embarrassing loss to the Lions, I do not see how bringing him in would make the Packers offense any worse than it already is.

Members online