McCarthy presser.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 of 4 left playing in the season, 1 play to make in the final 5 minutes to make it to the super bowl short and still there's no shortage of people wanting to blow everything up. Such a fickle group.

I don't think most of us will miss you if you jump ship now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am not on a "witch hunt." I just want to win. Look at 24 and find 11. Certain people have certain gifts. MM does not have that gift. I know Lombardi came up from NY or even "Jersey City" which he can't recruit from but he remembered one thing.

This MM guy isn't even from Green Bay. He is from Pennsylvania. Why is he coaching our team.

He thinks "FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS"

This isn't Friday MM and you suck.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He CHOKED. Go watch "ALL THE RIGHT MOVES". MM is a CURSE. He can't win, Sabin wins this game.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM will never be fired. His fluke SB win in 2010 gives him lifetime immunity. The Packers culture is to stick with your own guys, don't bring in outsiders. That's also why TT rarely signs free agents.
That is exactly why I am going on Packer hiatus. No more wasting time in front of the flat screen tube for the Packers as long as McCarthy is coach. But I feel sorry for the players who don't have that luxury. They are some of the best players in the league, and unless they exercise free agency, they will finish out their careers under a coach who is brilliant at building a winning team, but is utterly incompetent at managing the 60 minutes of a clutch game.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone's ever been fired under the TT/MM era. They value loyalty more than winning.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing a "won" game is tough in the regular season; it's excruciating in a championship game. It’s easy to overreact in the wake of a game like yesterday’s but I’ve got to say I was surprised at how well the D played for most of that game. If Bostic either blocks, which was his assignment, or grabs the ball which hit the palms of his hands, the Packers win. If Clinton-Dix knocks down the two-point conversion, the Packers win. Who knows how the game proceeds if Clinton-Dix catches what would have been a third INT that bounced off of both of his hands? I’m not sure how you meant this and of course no one knows but I have an idea what he would have said about kicking those field goals near the goal line. As almost all of us know, Lombardi lost exactly one championship game, his first. The game ended with Chuck Bednarik refusing to let Jimmy Taylor up at the Eagles’ 22 yard line as time expired. The Packers lost 17-13 and earlier in the game Lombardi decided to go for it on fourth down twice deep in Eagles territory (at least once as the result of an Eagles’ turnover). Obviously, if they would have kicked either FG successfully, they only would have needed another to win the title. What did Lombardi say after the game? http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/sports/football/07eagles.html?pagewanted=2

He also more famously said ‘We’ll never lose another championship game’ and of course they didn’t. BTW, not that this will salve the fresh wound from yesterday but that 1960 game was the last NFL championship/Super Bowl the Eagles won.
Well said, thank you. Contrasted to McCarthy's performance yesterday, this illustrates the magnitude of difference between these two coaches. I can't bear to watch another Packer season until McCarty finds himself another job outside of the organization. Guess I'll be doing other things to take up my time.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not on a "witch hunt." I just want to win. Look at 24 and find 11. Certain people have certain gifts. MM does not have that gift. I know Lombardi came up from NY or even "Jersey City" which he can't recruit from but he remembered one thing.

This MM guy isn't even from Green Bay. He is from Pennsylvania. Why is he coaching our team.

He thinks "FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS"

This isn't Friday MM and you suck.
Vince Lombardi was from New Jersey. BTW, I agree with you about MM. He's got to go.

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone catch that comment when MM said that reaching the "target" of 20 ground carries in the second half was important to him? (More important than winning?)

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone catch that comment when MM said that reaching the "target" of 20 ground carries in the second half was important to him? (More important than winning?)
That is like saying you want to drive your car 20 miles before you start a bike ride that you want to do in the park some where. The car quits after 10 miles and won't start and the park closes in an hour. Do you a) call a mechanic to fix it on the spot or maybe have it towed or b) take the bike off the bike rack and ride it the rest of the way to the park and finish your goal of riding in the park before closing? Plans change because of outside circumstances and sometimes pride gets in the way of making decisions that are the best for everyone

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is a stubborn stuck in his ways guy. Maybe his father was that way and he picked up the trait..either way hes the type of guy who rarely admits he's wrong and failed. He's full of pride.

Charles Fischbein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM will never be fired. His fluke SB win in 2010 gives him lifetime immunity. The Packers culture is to stick with your own guys, don't bring in outsiders. That's also why TT rarely signs free agents.
I agree that Green Bay prides itself in its stability, it was like that 26 years ago when I lived up there teaching at a local College. However when a coach gives up on his team the players should demand a change. The front office may want to stick with him, and the local press tries to back him up but right now there is a national consensus among top sports writers that it was his coaching more than anything else that lost the game. How did the offensive line feel when they were pulled twice inside the five yard line, it was a slap in their faces. Yes they are professionals but at some level it does effect them when they know the coach does not feel they are up to the challenge. Yes they failed to score in the red zone a number of times in previous games and that was bad, but in a playoff game you fire them up and let them loose Lombardi et al would never have done what MM did and I honestly believe Favre would never have walked off the field even if told to he would have called a time out and demanded to go for it on 4th down. Every play has impact but those two calls I honestly feel had a psychological effect on the offense and played a big part in the loss. It may be 20/20 hindsight but in a profession where what you did for me yesterday either keeps you on the job or gets you fired, MM actions and his unwillingness to live up to the fact that he lost faith in his players is reason even in Green Bay to dump
him. Even the lowly Mike Shanahan gave RGlll more chances than he should have, Shanahan lost faith in his owner but not his players. MM should go, bring one of the other top assistants in Green Bay up to the top job, but do not dishonor Green Bay by keeping MM.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they should have been pulled twice inside the 5 yard line because they lined it up more than once and on more than one drive and failed to get into the endzone. Were you watching? Did Kuhn get in? Did Lacy get in? How many times do they need to go? If you want to get it done, then do it. They didn't, depsite multiple opportunities, some inside the damn 1 yard line. And that wasn't a new thing, it happened to a few times during the year.

Favre would have called a timeout and demanded to go for it? or maybe he just would have tossed ANOTHER playoff loss clinching interception. Do you even remember? Lombardi would have never done that?

obviously you missed this posted by another poster earlier

According to David Maraniss’s book “When Pride Still Mattered,” Lombardi later regretted not attempting two additional easy field goals, saying: “When you get down there, come out with something. I lost the game, not my players.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/sports/football/07eagles.html?pagewanted=2

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't put this loss all at the feet of MM but I agree this quote was ridiculous.

Seriously Mike, you coach in the moment for the feel of the game flow, you don't coach to hit an arbitrary number. Did you honestly believe that once you hit 20 carries in the second half, it was magically going to seal the win? Get out of here with that.

If the score is 19-7 your lead, and you've got the ball with 5 minutes left and your main concern is that you have 17 carries in that half and you need 3 more to hit 20, you have absolutely no feel for the flow of the game.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers deserves a better coach than MM. It's unbelievable how GB has had 2 of the greatest QBs in history over the last 2 decades, and both of them will retire with only one SB win.

We should have more playoff wins the last few years, but MM is too conservative to win big playoff games. MM is the Packer version of Marty Schottenheimer.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't put this loss all at the feet of MM but I agree this quote was ridiculous.
When the presser book of excuses, cliches and platitudes is bigger than the play book, you're gonna run into problems.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We need to get "MEAN" in "THE MIDDLE". Bring some "HOUNDS" I like the outside of our defense. Let's get it done in the middle.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM seems to have instilled a poor mentality in the Packers. When the going gets rough, what do the Packers do? Fold like a cheap tent.

Amazing how so many things had to go wrong for Seattle to win, and every single thing did. Burnett assumes a victory with 5 minutes left. The D gives up 200 yards in the final few minutes. Clinton-Dix was so demoralized after they gave up the go-ahead TD, that he didn't even try on the 2-pt conversion. He gave up on the play, he was mentally defeated already.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
This is SAD, right after we get over years of 1 and done now it's 2 and done with the memory of being the worst lost of any of the 1and dones, Brett Farve is probably saying you can't blame me for this one.....

Spike Mullin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers deserves a better coach than MM. It's unbelievable how GB has had 2 of the greatest QBs in history over the last 2 decades, and both of them will retire with only one SB win.

We should have more playoff wins the last few years, but MM is too conservative to win big playoff games. MM is the Packer version of Marty Schottenheimer.
Perfect analogy. Schottenheimer was a winning coach, but he was NO champion. Some people are satisfied with that. But Lombardi had no patience for people like that on his staff or on his team. In Lombardi's world there were only two groups of competitors: champions or losers.

Members online

Latest posts