McCarthy "not happy" with Pickett and Jolly

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From packersnews.com:

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Practice wrap-up

Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly and DeShawn Wynn were on the non-football injury list today, and receiver Donald Driver failed his physical because of a shoulder injury, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice.
Pickett and Jolly were placed on the list because of conditioning, and McCarthy said he was “not happy.” Wynn has an illness.
Tight end Tory Humphrey, who was hurt during practice, has an ankle injury and was taken for X-rays, according to McCarthy.
-- Tom Pelissero/[email protected]

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
naughty naughty

doesn't this happen every year? a couple linemen come in fatter than usual?

And isnt McCarthy very anti-fatty? It should work itself out.

Driver hurt scares me though!

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what does it exactly mean that Driver didn't pass his physical. Does he get examined again in a few days or what?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never understand how professional athletes who have to function on not only raw talent, but the attitude to do develop that talent, can come into opening day of camp and be out of shape. These guys don't work in the off season, they can and should train year around. What kind of personal pride do these guys have to dare come to the opening of camp and not be able to perform because they're not in conditiion. It's just amazing!

Reaction score
what does it exactly mean that Driver didn't pass his physical. Does he get examined again in a few days or what?

I think it means he has a shoulder injury.

Now the injury could be anything, something like a dislocated shoulder (which isn't THAT bad) to a broken shoulder (we're in trouble).

I am guessing Driver will start rehab, under the eye of the appropriate professionals. The docs will have a rough timetable on how long his rehab should take, and at the end of that timetable they will examine Driver again.

Hopefully then he will pass and be cleared to practice again. But if he doesn't, then you are looking at more rehab/other options that Driver will have to decide between.

This is worrying news. Hopefully the injury is nothing too serious.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ditto, Packedhouse1. These guys must think they have guaranteed contracts. Why didn't Driver have problems with that shoulder during the OTAs? Didn't the coaches notice Picket out of shape during the OTAs? Some people, not only players, aren't paying attention.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
makes more sense too

pain in the *** to read dark green background with a headache (yep thats my excuse for my ignorance :) )

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ditto, Packedhouse1. These guys must think they have guaranteed contracts. Why didn't Driver have problems with that shoulder during the OTAs? Didn't the coaches notice Picket out of shape during the OTAs? Some people, not only players, aren't paying attention.

There's plenty of time for players to get out of shape between the OTA's and training camp, especially big, bulky guys. Plus, I'm pretty sure the standards are different, i.e., players are allowed to carry a little more weight during the OTA's. It would be exhausting for these big guys to maintain weight for the entire off-season. But of course they should have been ready for camp. Let's hope this is a very temporary problem.

As for Driver, I wonder why we didn't hear about this shoulder injury before. I'm confused, because I would expect a shoulder injury to be extremely unlikely unless they are doing full contact drills. Maybe he dove for a ball.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver getting a shoulder injury scares me. I hope he's 100% by the 1st game of regular season. :pray:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

DD link

Part of the article

He did not pass his physical Friday because he is lacking arm strength and therefore has been placed on the physically unable to perform list.

"I'm not concerned," McCarthy said. "Like all of us (know), Donald will keep himself in excellent shape year round. It's just something Donald's coming into camp with. So, we're just being cautious with it."

Driver does not believe the shoulder will require surgery, but it was clear something was wrong when team physician Patrick McKenzie tested Driver by having him put his arms straight out. The doctor would push up and down on Driver's arms, and Driver's shoulder wasn't strong enough to provide much resistance.

Driver tried to convince McKenzie he was OK to play, that it wouldn't stop him from playing and catching.

"There's nothing I can do about it," Driver said. "I may feel like I can go but I have to pass that physical."

~~~~~~~~~~~

And Trom, isnt it funny that MM is "anti fat"

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, the staff is extra careful at this point so as not to aggravate anything. During the season I'll bet these things are regularly overlooked. I'm as disappointed as anyone when guys are not practicing for a fist-full of reasons. We want positive headlines only. About all we can hope for is that our divisional foes are experiencing the same thing. I'm NOT a good sport!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Obviously, the staff is extra careful at this point so as not to aggravate anything. During the season I'll bet these things are regularly overlooked. I'm as disappointed as anyone when guys are not practicing for a fist-full of reasons. We want positive headlines only. About all we can hope for is that our divisional foes are experiencing the same thing. I'm NOT a good sport!
lol

Members online

Latest posts