McCarthy coaches, Favre responds

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are oversimplifying the game. I would be VERY hard pressed to believe that on any given play there isn't an available checkdown in the flat, an open TE in a gap, or an endline for a wr to go to. It's a lot more than whether or not driver was open...and MS' offense wasn't as transparent as ppl thought...just because you knew the Packers would throw on 3rd and 8 doesn't mean that he ran some predictable offense.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
You are oversimplifying the game. I would be VERY hard pressed to believe that on any given play there isn't an available checkdown in the flat, an open TE in a gap, or an endline for a wr to go to. It's a lot more than whether or not driver was open...and MS' offense wasn't as transparent as ppl thought...just because you knew the Packers would throw on 3rd and 8 doesn't mean that he ran some predictable offense.

Musscy, believe it, my friend. Believe it. I heard many many comments on this board last year about how our receivers seemed to be always covered and never got any separation.

Also, do you mean to tell me that you can't believe, especially with all of the injuries last year, that it wasn't possible that the players (WR's) just weren't that good?

I can't tell you how many times the Packer receivers were referred to as "NFL Europe quality receivers, just signed off the street."

Also, don't forget, a QB and a WR need reps together in order to get their timing down so that they can run pass plays and be on the same page.

I think that it is you, my friend, who is "over-simplifying" the game!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get frustrated with ppl doing everything in their power to avoid ever pointing a finger @ Brett...the injuries inhibited the team and quality of the wr were detrimental to the success of the team, yes...

BUT...were the 2005 version of the Packers the ONLY team to ever be beat down w/ injuries and cursed with below average NFL talent @ wr? 29 interceptions were a collaborative effort, and I'm not buying this " he was just trying to win/make something out of nothing" crap...

Ahman is "just trying to win" when he tries too hard and fumbles in crowds. Did the Packers just ignore this because Ahman was a star and he put up big stats, or did they try to find ways to mask his profuse sweating, try getting him to switch arms, and alter the material used on his arm sleeves?

Brett is great, yadda yadda...but even he needs tweaking...continually passing the buck and exhausting every single excuse possible won't solve problems that may exist.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, I get tired of some Packer "fans" constantly wanting to point the finger at Brett.

"He's washed up"..."He's not the Favre of 10 years ago".."He's lost it"..."He should retire"..."He makes bad decisions"..."He's a gunslinger".., and using it as an excuse to blame last season on him. "29 interceptions"..that's all you hear from some people...ad nauseum..:puke:

It's funny. You didn't hear that talk last week after the Atlanta game though, did you? Although a couple of "fans" did say he shouldn't have thrown that one reception, or shouldn't have thrown the underhand pass. Well, what is it then, is Favre washed up and should he retire already, or should he sit down and give Aaron Rodgers his shot?

(I'll give you a hint Musscy, et. al...Favre's still got it, and the WR's around him this year are better than last year--hence, last weeks performance.)

Man, some of you people are downright spoiled. And you will not realize how good you had it with Favre until he is gone! Hey, isn't two SB appearances, 3 MVP's, and a HOF career enough for some of you people? What more does the guy have to do, and what more does he OWE to the city of Green Bay?

And another thing. Don't be so quick to give all the credit to McCarthy. Favre's been around this league a long time and he knows what to do! It's patronizing to a great NFL talent.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Starr won 2 sbs...should we start him at QB once Brett retires just because he was successful in the past? I'm not denying that Brett is still a good qb, I'm just questioning why you dwell so much on his accomplishments of 10 years ago to validate his performace today. Let today speak for itself...and yes, he did quite well vs. Atlanta.

All I'm trying to say is that Brett isn't perfect. He's still a top 10 qb who is capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl. But instead of constantly being in awe of him, the coaches and fans need to be willing to critique as well, which appears to be happening w/ McCarthy, unlike w/ MS. I'm hoping that this will be a contributing factor to an improved performance both from Brett and teh entire team this year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
All I'm trying to say is that Brett isn't perfect. He's still a top 10 qb who is capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl. But instead of constantly being in awe of him, the coaches and fans need to be willing to critique as well, which appears to be happening w/ McCarthy, unlike w/ MS. I'm hoping that this will be a contributing factor to an improved performance both from Brett and teh entire team this year.
I agree word for word. I can't help but expect more out of Favre this year than last. Yes part of it was injuries and play calling but you have to recognize Favre for the mistakes he made as well last season and most Packer fans won‘t even point A finger at him. They're were to many mistakes. McCarthy is really toning down the mistakes. So far this pre season I don't think the 1st team offense has a turnover. I might be forgetting a fumble but none the less we have an improvement that is very overlooked so far. Cincy's secondary will test the passing game on Monday. They're ball hawks back there.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume I can speak on behalf of porky on this, but b4 we get blasted, we're not trying to disrespect BF...just that I don't think any player is above criticism, no matter how great they may be...e.g. Ahman green and his fumbles.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Musscy,

There were plenty of people here who wanted to pin last season on Favre (and y'all know who you are).

The funny thing is, did these same people actually think the Packers were going ANYWHERE last season?

I mean, what's the point of placing blame? They were one step away from wanting him benched. I kid you not. And if the Pack loses the first 3-4 games this year, what are people going to start saying?

I think you know.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck, that's not true...although the defense was pretty good last year, the whole offense stunk...o-line, wr depth, running backs, and at times, brett.

And if the Packers weren't going anywhere, should that excuse poor decisions, whether they be from Driver, Favre, or Whittacker? No...brett was just talked about a lot because it's easy to talk about the qb, since that's where the camera is focused in on for TV broadcasts...it's just the easiest position to praise or critique.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Brett Favre is a 5 star conductor leading a 2 bit band"-Ron Wolfe on the 2005 Green Bay Packers...

That says it all, IMO. The team was mentally soft last season. There is a BIG difference that has been overlooked in this years practices as appose to last years practices. McCarthy has them going full speed in the one on one drills and THEN has them play 7 on 7s and 11 on 11s while tired after those one on one drills. They will be able to make good decisions when they are physically and mentally exhausted. That will be a MAJOR key in building a young teams psyche. The team last season under MS played it conservative in the early drills so they could be at full strength for the team drills. What do you learn from that? Not to mention MM's practices are already very up-tempo as it is...this team will not be mentally soft under MM.

Latest posts