1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCarthy coaches, Favre responds

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Probably Pete's best article to date.

2. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm happy to see this...ppl passed the buck on Favre last year attributing his ints primarily, if not entirely, to lack of talent. Although I acknowledge that was a contributing factor, he still made many poor decisions that hurt the packers, and I'm glad that there's finally a coaching staff willing to stand up to him and willing to correct his mistakes.

3. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    AAAUUGHHH....C'mon..all of a sudden, first year head coach McCarthy is going to come in and "fix" future HOF QB Brett Favre because he's lost the ability to play the game anymore? That is laughable.

and this article is total bullshit!

I wish Favre would have taken the sack last year or ran outside the tackles and fired the ball into the turf everytime someone wasn't completely open or he didn't have time to throw the ball.

Then y'all would have seen how completely ineffectual the Green Bay Packers were last year, and how much they SUCKED!

But people would have been crying, pissing, and moaning and saying why isn't Brett Favre at least trying to win by taking some shots at throwing the ball in there anyway--since we suck so bad? Why can't he be the Brett Favre we all know and win the game by himself? Which is exactly what he did, not having any other options.

I guess it's a no win situation at QB. You get blamed for stuff that is your fault, and for stuff that isn't!

4. Packersfan43084

Packersfan43084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    what the hell are you talking about? Mike Sherman and his staff never held Favre accountable for his mistakes. They would always "bite their tongue." McCarthy and his staff are going to emphasize making the smart plays and not forcing it as much. But they're still gonna let Brett be Brett.

5. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    here we go again!!! why is it necessary for everyone to find one specific person to blame for last season's record? and why is mccarthy the second coming of Christ because he acknowledged favre's interceptions in practice?

edit: never mind - i'm done banging my head against the wall. different perception from different people - deep breaths - ok, i'm good now. :)

6. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    you're right 4packgirl that it's not JUST brett's fault, but a lot of ppl liked to overlook the fact that, at times, he was playing like a lunatic, e.g. v. Cinncy last year when the Pack were tied, and he throws picks on 3 straight possessions.

7. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    well, i'd say any of us would be playing like a lunatic with NObody at WR, NObody on the line to protect us, & NObody to help...but maybe that's just me.

anyway, you see it one way & i see it another...it's all good. :)

8. JbShell

JbShell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Brett had people but they were lower quality thats forsure. To me it was more Sherman failing to game plan around the teams defiecencies than anything else. Sherman knew the quality of the team was down and did not coach within his means as Farve did not play within his

9. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    lmao@ completely open ... this is the NFL not high school football

If the QB only threw the ball when a receiver was 'completely open' we would not see nearly the same amount of throws a game.

Hmm, good thing?

10. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    there's a difference between trying to make something out of nothing when you have nobody there, or just being stupid...

E.G. vs. the bears in Chicago, end of last half, Pack in fg range, would have taken the lead, he's about to get sacked so he wings up a blind prayer, int, returned to the 5...and the bears get a fg w/ seconds left. That's just plain dumb...the cinncy game was a lot of this too.

That's a lot different than a last minute drive, down by 7 and you try to force stuff. In philly it was like that last year...last drive...if Favre doesn't make something happen, games over anyway...i'm not referring to stuff like this.

11. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly the point Zero. Maybe Favre should have just ran outside the tackles and fired the ball into the turf over and over again.

How would you have liked that offense?

12. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    37 year old QB running outside of the tackles. Hmm. Yea that's not what you want to see. That'd be like watching grass grow.

Brett is not Vick. He can no longer scramble forward.

I'll give you an out here. If you are saying rolling out side the tackles, I agree with that. But if you're saying running forward, my god that's insane lol

13. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    P@ck66...I'm glad to see you and your exagerated, embellished, and inacurate reasoning is back again.

Do ppl really believe that on every single play last year, every one of the eligible packer receivers was blanketed and Favre literally had no choice but to jam it into coverage?

McCarthy, myself, and others who criticize specific decisions of Favre (note that I didn't say favre critics) are referring to select incidents in which he makes obviously poor decisions...i referenced one such incident in a previous post in this thread...a lot of the cinncy game was like this too. These are teh situations that I'm referring to

No go ahead and mangle and contort everything I say into what you want to hear.

14. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Favre never would of thrown all of those int's if he had:
    A: A Running Game
    B: Some healthy wide receivers
    C: some extra blocking (I think i remember some O-lineman getting hurt)

15. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No. No.

What i'm trying to say here (and i guess doing poorly), is that if people say that Favre made bad decision by trying to "force things to happen" that weren't there on passing plays, perhaps he should have just scampere outside the tackles and fired the ball into the turf (ie. throw it away.)

Lemme tell you, he would have been doing that quite often, and it wouldn't have been a very exciting offense for GB last year!

16. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    OK...I see what you're trying to say...the same fan shouldn't say "Brett shouldn't force it" and when brett doesn't force it, that fan can't come back and criticize him for not making things happen...it'd be a double standard on the fan's part

I understand that there were certainly plays when nothing was there last year...but I don't feel it was as prevelant or as bad as ppl made it out to be last year. W/out the luxury of watching game film, it's all speculation on either of our parts...so i guess it's a matter of agreeing to disagree

17. Packersfan43084

Packersfan43084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    All i'm saying is that had Favre done a better job at picking and choosing when to force throws, we would've been much better off. Our defense was good enough last year to win games for us. Had Favre not thrown into triple coverage all the time, maybe we would've won some more games.

18. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Musscy said,
    Yes, that was the case. Don't forget Musscy, Sherman's game plan was so transparent that everyone knew what was coming on the next play.

All the defense had to do was double cover Driver, and then who do you go to on pass plays?

19. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's usually better than forcing it into double and sometimes triple coverage.

20. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love to see what people would have been saying here if he had done that!

I wish he would have.

21. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody criticizes, Brady, Manning, or even Brad Johnson for doing that. Why would they rip on Favre?

22. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Brett Favre is human. He might be the best human to ever play quarterback in the NFL, but he is human. He has made mistakes. The one criticism I've had of Brett is that too often last year he tried to make the great play instead of the right play. Having said that, making the great play won us a Superbowl, got us to another, and helped make this guy a 3 time MVP. Yeah it's nice to finally have a coaching staff that looks at Brett and says, "this isn't the decision a HOF QB and 3 time MVP should be making." It's called accountability and everyone of us in life should have that. Just because he the greatest who ever played the game doesn't mean he shouldn't answer to his coaching staff.

23. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    PackedHouse.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't answer to his coaching staff. I'm saying there was not much else he could do with the state that the team was in last year.

24. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree Tom, he didn't have many options and I know he was trying to create something, but quite a few of those interceptions were due in part to trying to make a great play rather than just making the right play.

25. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree sometimes you just need to take what the defense gives you. Football is often a game of field position and it's hard to win games when you opponent gets the ball at mid field for every drive. Sometimes throwing it away or checking down to the back is the best thing to do. So far this pre season I've seen Favre check down to the back a lot more.