McCarthy and Brett...what is up?

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been reading about the 5 pics the other day...And McCarthy saying how bad Brett has been playing. It is early in camp. Brett will come around. I think McCarthy should be more suportive. He is the rookie head coach...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
McCarthy said Brett needs to make better decisions, actually he said the QB needs to make better decisions.

This thing has been over done quite a bit. It's really nothing more than a coach, coaching his star player while sending a message to the young guys saying I'm not letting our future HoF'er get away it, neither will you.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the older a player gets the more wise that player should be to various situations. They also should be more atuned to where their physical skills are in comparison to when they're young and often times playing just on talent. Brett has been around a long time and he has seen just about everything. His gunslinger style has been exciting and it's won some big games for us. There are certain things that only Brett Favre can do. He is courageous beyond belief. He might be the toughest player I've ever seen play this game. If there is a weakness to Brett's game however, it is decision making. When he goes through, or has time to go through his reads, he is usually dead on right. However too often he tries to make the great play instead of the right play. Of course that is what has made him a star, but he's also not surrounded with the great players that he needs to have to make the great play as often as he was early in his career. I believe what the coaching staff is trying to convince him is that he's still a great quarterback, but the really great quarterbacks are great not just because they can throw the ball 100 mph, but because they make good choices and can execute those choices. Brett, as good as he has been, needed to be reeled in a little bit. Good coaches coach, good players allow themselves to be coached. I expect Brett will allow himself to be coachced.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Brett will come around, he needs to clear his mind from everything else and just play some football it should be easier for him because of his better running game, like you said he'll come around. As for McCarthy yeah he is a rookie coach but he should take charge and let the players know your not going to mess with him and at the same time have fun, but these first weeks he will have to be ******* them to gain respect.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:)Taking nothing away from Favre as a QB but, he has throughout his career made bad choices and it's only been when he's had coaching willing to reel him in and let him know about his mistakes that he has performed well. His gunslinger approach makes for very exciting football and his great arm and hard throwing has allowed him to get away with some pretty atrocious throws. perhaps defenders around the league are beginning to outsmart Brett and fake him into making some bad decisions and perhaps his arm s no longer strong enough to get away with thiose force it in there throws. This season should answer some of those concerns. He is still a HOF QB and may need to get in synch with the newer recievers now arround him. Either way; he's the QB everyone loves to watch play.

Tylaa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im glad Mcarthy said that. Sherman would say oooo he will get better. Then he never gets better. Glad Mcarthy is telling Brett the truth...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre and Rodgers both looked good last night. Favre had a couple throws in which I thought "here we go another bad decision" but overall he played much better. McCarthy is the Head Coach. If Favre plays bad he has every right to criticize his QB to get him to step it up and play better. Last night was a good night for the two QB's.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What....do you want MS hunched up behind Brett preparing to kiss more ***....that is how we got to this sad place. I mean, Christ, Sherman cut Bates off at the knees last year when he yelled at the players during practice. I like the new attitude.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael Smith was asked if Favre would be benched, he said no...but he really made Favre out to be an ***...

Though Smith is the same ******* that said Driver wanted out.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackwillBEback said:
Michael Smith was asked if Favre would be benched, he said no...but he really made Favre out to be an ***...

Though Smith is the same ******* that said Driver wanted out.

EXACTLY