McCarthy admits a mistake, sort of.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't during the second half of last season for various reasons.

Again, get the man some weapons and you will get all world Aaron Rodgers. If you don't? You will get pro bowl caliber Aaron Rodgers...either way it bodes well for the Packers. But look at the group we had the year we won the SB? Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Driver even tho he got hurt and Swain wasn't all world but he could get open.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, get the man some weapons and you will get all world Aaron Rodgers. If you don't? You will get pro bowl caliber Aaron Rodgers...either way it bodes well for the Packers. But look at the group we had the year we won the SB? Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Driver even tho he got hurt and Swain wasn't all world but he could get open.

I agree that a lack of talent at WR after losing Nelson for the season was mostly to blame for Rodgers struggling in 2015. The receiving corps in 2010 wasn't that much better than the current one though as Jennings was the only elite player at that position for most of the season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Meh, a hobbled Rodgers is still better than70% of the qbs in the NFL. He's not the reason the offense was so bad last year.
Uh huh..

Just so happens....6-0, b4 knee injury... After knee injury....4-6.

Lot of reasons, but when your star QB can't plant on his throwing leg for 10 games, that's an issue

Everyone claimed play calling was the issue..as we found out, that wasn't it either...

People need to really come to terms Rodgers was injured to the point it really hurt the team

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh huh..

Lot of reasons, but when your star QB can't plant on his throwing leg for 10 games, that's an issue

Everyone claimed play calling was the issue..as we found out, that wasn't it either...

People need to really come to terms Rodgers was injured to the point it really hurt the team

Hurt the team? They almost beat a tough Arizona team at Arizona with a makeshift wr core to go the NFC championship game. No way they even make the playoffs if you put Tolzien in after "the knee injury" with the groups of wrs they had. He may have underperformed by our standards due to the injury yes, but hurt the team? Id never agree with that. I'm sure there's 20+ teams that would take last years Aaron Rodgers in a heartbeat. Including the one who won the SB.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that a lack of talent at WR after losing Nelson for the season was mostly to blame for Rodgers struggling in 2015. The receiving corps in 2010 wasn't that much better than the current one though as Jennings was the only elite player at that position for most of the season.

Wait a minute.. so you're telling me, that 2010 Jennings, Jones, Driver, and Nelson isn't much better than 2015 Abby , Cobb, Jones, and Adams? I don't think anyone here would agree with that Captain...I don't even think you believe that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh huh..

Wait...when did we find out that play calling wasn't the issue? I mean, there were numerous, well-researched and well-documented articles (using screenshots and clips from All-22) demonstrating how little help the receivers were being given. I missed the rebuttal.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sure they used the screen shots and clips that suited their agenda. Fact is, EVERYBODY missed plays. Rodgers missed open receivers. Open Receivers missed catchable balls, RB's missed open holes, Oline missed blocking the man in front of them. Even when a play was run perfectly, our perfect qb made a mistake. I don't need a biased slanted story created to fill the void in some reader to know why the offense struggled last year and it was execution every single time over the play call. I don't need to see a rebuttal, I watched every game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sure they used the screen shots and clips that suited their agenda. Fact is, EVERYBODY missed plays. Rodgers missed open receivers. Open Receivers missed catchable balls, RB's missed open holes, Oline missed blocking the man in front of them. Even when a play was run perfectly, our perfect qb made a mistake. I don't need a biased slanted story created to fill the void in some reader to know why the offense struggled last year and it was execution every single time over the play call. I don't need to see a rebuttal, I watched every game.

Sooooo...are you saying the media has an agenda of discrediting MM? I wasn't aware that the media hated him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, I"m saying media likes readers. Readers like to find answers to fit where things don't make sense. media fills in those answers with things that will gain more readers. Packers are making a furious comeback. they run a perfect play that allows randall cobb to come wide open, more open than you can ever expect a WR to be sitting in the endzone and our all pro, HOF qb missed him. didn't even see him. Perfect play, **** poor execution. you tell me it was play calling. we lost to the Panthers that game. It's not a unique play. there were many just like it. Different circumstances, but the same outcome. Well designed play, executed to squat because a ball was overthrown, a ball wasn't thrown, a ball wasn't caught, a defender wasn't blocked. Drives stalled, drives ended. An ill timed holding call killed drives. It all adds up. But media dependent on Readers would have you believe it was because a play wasn't called correctly.

I have news for everyone. If your QB doesn't see you wide open, it doesn't matter what was called. if you don't catch a perfectly thrown ball, it doesn't matter what play was called. If you can't block the man in front of you, it doesn't matter what you call, if you complete a 40 yard pass that gets called back for holding, it doesn't matter what you call. I can go thru any season, even record setting ones for our offense and find screen shots of plays that were well defended and paint any number of pictures i'd like to by carefully selecting what I show you.

this team didn't execute with consistency last year. that's it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait...when did we find out that play calling wasn't the issue? I mean, there were numerous, well-researched and well-documented articles (using screenshots and clips from All-22) demonstrating how little help the receivers were being given. I missed the rebuttal.
Sarcastic?

If not.. Show me how it improved after mm took over?

Look... I posted how eddy had drinking problem.. And at same time I posted how Rodgers had bad knee and it affected him.. I know for a fact it was a huge concern for the team... They side stepped reporting it so he wasn't targeted...

I know this..we all had moments and comments how he looked off..

His stats reflected a huge drop off after week 6 (that's when he got hurt)

I firmly believe that if he didn't get hurt, there wouldn't have been the play calling issue debate, the poor offensive scoring.

They may not have got to the sb but I'm pretty confident they would have beat Arizona

No one has to believe me and what I know and have posted... Im ok with what I feel and know

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hurt the team? They almost beat a tough Arizona team at Arizona with a makeshift wr core to go the NFC championship game. No way they even make the playoffs if you put Tolzien in after "the knee injury" with the groups of wrs they had. He may have underperformed by our standards due to the injury yes, but hurt the team? Id never agree with that. I'm sure there's 20+ teams that would take last years Aaron Rodgers in a heartbeat. Including the one who won the SB.

With out going all crazy.. Please be honest and simply answer yes or no... No excuses, no explanations, just y or n

Was Aaron on fire 1st 6 weeks and considered one of MVP players?

After week 6

Did Aaron miss throws he normally makes?

Was there a few times he had a perfect running lane, but avoided it and passed?

At times of extreme adrenaline rush, can pain be forgotten?

D

Deleted member 6794

Wait a minute.. so you're telling me, that 2010 Jennings, Jones, Driver, and Nelson isn't much better than 2015 Abby , Cobb, Jones, and Adams? I don't think anyone here would agree with that Captain...I don't even think you believe that.

I was talking about the current wide receiver corps entering this season. There's absolutely no doubt last year's group was far inferior compared to unit during the Packers Super Bowl run.

no, I"m saying media likes readers. Readers like to find answers to fit where things don't make sense. media fills in those answers with things that will gain more readers. Packers are making a furious comeback. they run a perfect play that allows randall cobb to come wide open, more open than you can ever expect a WR to be sitting in the endzone and our all pro, HOF qb missed him. didn't even see him. Perfect play, **** poor execution. you tell me it was play calling. we lost to the Panthers that game. It's not a unique play. there were many just like it. Different circumstances, but the same outcome. Well designed play, executed to squat because a ball was overthrown, a ball wasn't thrown, a ball wasn't caught, a defender wasn't blocked. Drives stalled, drives ended. An ill timed holding call killed drives. It all adds up. But media dependent on Readers would have you believe it was because a play wasn't called correctly.

I have news for everyone. If your QB doesn't see you wide open, it doesn't matter what was called. if you don't catch a perfectly thrown ball, it doesn't matter what play was called. If you can't block the man in front of you, it doesn't matter what you call, if you complete a 40 yard pass that gets called back for holding, it doesn't matter what you call. I can go thru any season, even record setting ones for our offense and find screen shots of plays that were well defended and paint any number of pictures i'd like to by carefully selecting what I show you.

While I agree that execution was poor on a ton of plays last season not using more combination routes to help receivers, who were struggling mightily to separate from press coverage, get open is inexcusable.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sarcastic?

If not.. Show me how it improved after mm took over?

Look... I posted how eddy had drinking problem.. And at same time I posted how Rodgers had bad knee and it affected him.. I know for a fact it was a huge concern for the team... They side stepped reporting it so he wasn't targeted...

I know this..we all had moments and comments how he looked off..

His stats reflected a huge drop off after week 6 (that's when he got hurt)

I firmly believe that if he didn't get hurt, there wouldn't have been the play calling issue debate, the poor offensive scoring.

They may not have got to the sb but I'm pretty confident they would have beat Arizona

No one has to believe me and what I know and have posted... Im ok with what I feel and know

I fully agree that a healthy Rodgers covers up a lot of issues. That doesn't mean they aren't issues. Sometimes it's nice when Superman can't fly in and save the day because you can actually see problems that aren't evident otherwise.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I fully agree with everything you said here. That doesn't mean the coaches didn't do a poor job of adjusting the offense to help out the receivers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we had a receiver on one good leg, a receiver with one good arm, our #1 on IR and a rotation of guys that didn't have much experience. If every person that did play, made 20% more of the plays that were there to be made without anything differently be done other than complete their job, the topic of play calling would never have even come up last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

we had a receiver on one good leg, a receiver with one good arm, our #1 on IR and a rotation of guys that didn't have much experience. If every person that did play, made 20% more of the plays that were there to be made without anything differently be done other than complete their job, the topic of play calling would never have even come up last year.

It was pretty obvious to every single Packers fan that the team´s receivers had huge trouble getting any separation from defensive backs playing press coverage. I don´t understand someone defending the coaching staff for not helping them using more combination routes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
the topic of play calling would never have even come up last year.
Agreed...the one benficial side effect was...I didn't hear a lot of critics calling for Capers job. :coffee:

As deep as everyone wanted to think our WR corp was around this time last year, coupled with injuries and inexperience, the season was ultimately lost when the Packers offense continually struggled to produce in the passing game. I can see where some can argue that the coaches didn't adapt to the sudden lack of healthy skilled experienced receivers, but ultimately the players you put out there need to make the plays and they consistently didn't.

Hopefully, Jordy will be back to pre-injury form and everyone else can stay healthy. While I would prefer more experience at WR, with a guy like Anquan Boldin being signed, I'm hopeful that one of the younger guys will step it up and produce at the #3 spot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It was pretty obvious to every single Packers fan that the team´s receivers had huge trouble getting any separation from defensive backs playing press coverage. I don´t understand someone defending the coaching staff for not helping them using more combination routes.

While I agree more combination routes may have helped free guys at the line of scrimmage, I have to wonder if with all the injuries, inexperience and weekly shuffling of the WR's due to injuries, Clement and MM just weren't confident in installing too much complexity into the offense?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking about the current wide receiver corps entering this season. There's absolutely no doubt last year's group was far inferior compared to unit during the Packers Super Bowl run.

Oh, ok. I was worried for a second.

While I agree that execution was poor on a ton of plays last season not using more combination routes to help receivers, who were struggling mightily to separate from press coverage, get open is inexcusable.

D

Deleted member 6794

As deep as everyone wanted to think our WR corp was around this time last year, coupled with injuries and inexperience, the season was ultimately lost when the Packers offense continually struggled to produce in the passing game. I can see where some can argue that the coaches didn't adapt to the sudden lack of healthy skilled experienced receivers, but ultimately the players you put out there need to make the plays and they consistently didn't.

It´s the coaches job to adapt the scheme when things don´t work. Last season the Packers staff didn´t make enough changes to the receivers routes to help them get open against press coverage. Therefore they should be criticized for it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With out going all crazy.. Please be honest and simply answer yes or no... No excuses, no explanations, just y or n

Was Aaron on fire 1st 6 weeks and considered one of MVP players?

After week 6

Did Aaron miss throws he normally makes?

Was there a few times he had a perfect running lane, but avoided it and passed?

At times of extreme adrenaline rush, can pain be forgotten?

Yes. I'm not saying you're wrong in regards to him being off last season tho.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree more combination routes may have helped free guys at the line of scrimmage, I have to wonder if with all the injuries, inexperience and weekly shuffling of the WR's due to injuries, Clement and MM just weren't confident in installing too much complexity into the offense?

NFL wide receivers should be able to grasp the concept of combination routes without much trouble.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
NFL wide receivers should be able to grasp the concept of combination routes without much trouble.
I agree with you. But as far as coaching goes, I would put more blame on the coaching techniques then the play calling for what happened last year. Van Pelt obviously did not do a very good job coaching both the QB's and the WR's and preparing them for games. No matter what play is called, its probably not going to work if you have guys running the wrong route or dropping the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with you. But as far as coaching goes, I would put more blame on the coaching techniques then the play calling for what happened last year. Van Pelt obviously did not do a very good job coaching both the QB's and the WR's and preparing them for games. No matter what play is called, its probably not going to work if you have guys running the wrong route or dropping the ball.

There´s no denying not having a designated receivers coach was a terrible idea. Nevertheless the staff should have done something to help receivers separate from press coverage once they realized it being an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts