1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marty Schottenheimer MAY become a consultant for the Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, Feb 24, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Source (scroll down to the bottom).

Thoughts?

2. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it would certainly help. I thought about this last week when Marty got fired and I think the relationship between Marty and McCarthy is a plus. It would only help the team in my opinion.

3. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    i think every time a player (and in this case coach) gets released, a thread pops up how they're more than likely gonna be a packer...

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    maybe he can consult us on how to get his brother to do his godamn job right.

5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Marty Schottenheimer MAY become a consultant for the Pac

:lol:

I find it a bit curious that Marty would be considered for a consultant role, while McCarthy made no such indication that Alex Gibbs might be considered in a consultant role.

Marty Schottenheimer specializes in O, as does McCarthy. It may certainly give another set of eyes and thought process to assist McCarthy, but I mean it isn't as if McCarthy NEEDS it. I think a lot of people will conclude most of the O problems last year were due to the players as opposed to the calling.

With Gibbs, you get the best ZB teacher in NFL history. The line was a concern last year, and it may have been solid at best, so having the coach that teaches ZB best, and a coach that has had success with his following (Denver and Atlanta), IMO it would make more sense to consider having Gibbs as a consultant than Marty.

So why consider hiring Marty as a consultant over Gibbs? Just the student returning the teacher a favour?

6. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

McCarthy has a working relationship with Marty. Marty gave McCarthy his 1st shot at being an NFL Coach. I believe McCarthy has said they still keep in touch as well. There is obviously a lot of respect between the two and a friendship as well. Add all that to the fact that Kurt Schottenheimer is Marty's brother and they could work closer to one another. I wouldn't be shocked at all in McCarthy wanting Marty's input.

7. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    ive seen a lot of marty the past 2 weeks as a talking head, and he seems like one of the smarter heads.

8. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4

Marty Schottenheimer has been a "defensive-minded" coach his entire coaching career.

9. refpacker

refpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good....Marty is an accomplished coach....Just sure abotu consultant, but what could it hurt?

10. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't want Marty working as a consultant for Green Bay. I have enormous respect for what Marty has been able to accomplish with Kansas City and with San Diego during the season. I do not understand why this guy couldn't win in the playoffs with great teams who had great talent. I've always believed that what makes a coach great is when they can coach average talent to play above their talent level. But when you can take a coach with great talent and you can't win when it counts, it makes me think less of that person as a coach. There is something about Marty he doesn't have that can get a good team to the next level. If that statement is true, then why bring him on as a consultant? What can he offer? He hasn't proved that he can win at the next level.

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    first of all, there is a big difference between a consultant and a head coach. marty couldn't win the big games as a head coach, but that doesn't mean he couldn't step in and help. i think he's a great coach. and trom, marty's got a degree in English so he definitely knows how to talk. i think it would be great to have him on staff.