1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marty Schottenheimer MAY become a consultant for the Packers

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, Feb 24, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Source (scroll down to the bottom).

Thoughts?

2. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

I think it would certainly help. I thought about this last week when Marty got fired and I think the relationship between Marty and McCarthy is a plus. It would only help the team in my opinion.

3. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

i think every time a player (and in this case coach) gets released, a thread pops up how they're more than likely gonna be a packer...

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

maybe he can consult us on how to get his brother to do his godamn job right.

5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Re: Marty Schottenheimer MAY become a consultant for the Pac

:lol:

I find it a bit curious that Marty would be considered for a consultant role, while McCarthy made no such indication that Alex Gibbs might be considered in a consultant role.

Marty Schottenheimer specializes in O, as does McCarthy. It may certainly give another set of eyes and thought process to assist McCarthy, but I mean it isn't as if McCarthy NEEDS it. I think a lot of people will conclude most of the O problems last year were due to the players as opposed to the calling.

With Gibbs, you get the best ZB teacher in NFL history. The line was a concern last year, and it may have been solid at best, so having the coach that teaches ZB best, and a coach that has had success with his following (Denver and Atlanta), IMO it would make more sense to consider having Gibbs as a consultant than Marty.

So why consider hiring Marty as a consultant over Gibbs? Just the student returning the teacher a favour?

6. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

McCarthy has a working relationship with Marty. Marty gave McCarthy his 1st shot at being an NFL Coach. I believe McCarthy has said they still keep in touch as well. There is obviously a lot of respect between the two and a friendship as well. Add all that to the fact that Kurt Schottenheimer is Marty's brother and they could work closer to one another. I wouldn't be shocked at all in McCarthy wanting Marty's input.

7. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

ive seen a lot of marty the past 2 weeks as a talking head, and he seems like one of the smarter heads.

8. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Marty Schottenheimer has been a "defensive-minded" coach his entire coaching career.

9. refpacker

refpacker Cheesehead

Good....Marty is an accomplished coach....Just sure abotu consultant, but what could it hurt?

10. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

I don't want Marty working as a consultant for Green Bay. I have enormous respect for what Marty has been able to accomplish with Kansas City and with San Diego during the season. I do not understand why this guy couldn't win in the playoffs with great teams who had great talent. I've always believed that what makes a coach great is when they can coach average talent to play above their talent level. But when you can take a coach with great talent and you can't win when it counts, it makes me think less of that person as a coach. There is something about Marty he doesn't have that can get a good team to the next level. If that statement is true, then why bring him on as a consultant? What can he offer? He hasn't proved that he can win at the next level.

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

first of all, there is a big difference between a consultant and a head coach. marty couldn't win the big games as a head coach, but that doesn't mean he couldn't step in and help. i think he's a great coach. and trom, marty's got a degree in English so he definitely knows how to talk. i think it would be great to have him on staff.