Reaction score

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
\

That is so superficial. Overlooking the deficiencies of a player based on last season is fools gold.

Nobody is over-looking deficiencies, but the Packers have no other options. Herb Taylor can't play. Datko needs at least a year to learn. Sherrod is still unable to fully practice or do anything. Newhouse is the man.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did I disagree? Newhouse may be the best option but where does that take away from his deficiencies. Also contrary to your post he allowed 10.5 sacks.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...touches-at-left-tackle-op6k1qb-167402385.html

If you're admitting he's the best option, why are you burning calories complaining about him, especially this close to the start of the season when it's too late to do anything?

Seriously, sometimes I feel like fans want to complain for the sake of complaining.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we all agree that we're a bit worried about Newhouse at LT....
I don't care about the # of sacks per se.

It's that each one that Newhouse (or anyone) allows increases the liklihood that Rodgers gets injured. That's my only concern. We can afford punts, just not to lose #12.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You disagreed with my post #22.

I never posted that he allowed more/less than 10.5 sacks.

Very impressive going 0-2 in one post!

But I referenced post # 27. :roflmao: Asking you again where I disagree with Newhouse not being the best answer based on the current roster? You aren't impressing me.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's that each one that Newhouse (or anyone) allows increases the liklihood that Rodgers gets injured. That's my only concern. We can afford punts, just not to lose #12.

Nope, I'm not worried at all. Unlike some here, I have realistic expectations that his second year as a starter will see him improve.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, since you're complaining about him, you obviously have someone better in mind. So who is it?

Yep we are stuck like chuck with him. There is no one on the current roster better than him I fear,but what once again does that have to do with his deficiencies?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is over-looking deficiencies, but the Packers have no other options. Herb Taylor can't play. Datko needs at least a year to learn. Sherrod is still unable to fully practice or do anything. Newhouse is the man.

And I never said we had a better option at this point. I just pointed out he hasn't been up to snuff.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, he wasn't a pro-bowl caliber player his first partial season as a starter. And he looked a bit rusty in his pre-season debut the other night. The guy's obviously got no hope of improving this season, so what are we to do?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's the crux of the matter no matter how one tries to obfuscate it. Newhouse leaves a lot to be desired based on last seasons performance and his stint against Cincy. We all hope he can improve but I don't believe he is rewarding our hope so far.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, he wasn't a pro-bowl caliber player his first partial season as a starter. And he looked a bit rusty in his pre-season debut the other night. The guy's obviously got no hope of improving this season, so what are we to do?

You said it I didn't. I always get a kick out of these strawmen. :roflmao:

btw he started 13 games during the 2011 season and was rated the worst LT in the NFL based on his performance.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse was not ready to be thrown into the mix when he was, but he has improved, and will show that once he gets back into it. He's coming back from being dinged up and will be our best option at the position. It's entirely possible he'll struggle at times as he's young and faces some truly elite pass rushers this season, but considering Sherrod is also coming back at some point, we are not as poor at the position as some are making us out to be. I know it's hard to get that thrashing that Jared Allen put on him out of our minds, but that's not the same player now, despite him not looking great on Thursday. The problem I see is if a guy like Saturday goes down, or anyone for that matter. Even if we don't have to shift everyone around and EDS gets plugged in, that will have a noticeable negative impact.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
He improved during the year last year. He may have had a poor game against Cincy but that doesn't mean that "he is what he is" I expect him to improve this year too. Missing time in the preseason surely has hurt his development but he's only a glaring weakness because the rest of the line is so good. He's serviceable and that's enough until we can find another option (Sherrod or Datko)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'd be worried about you if you weren't worried about Pewhouse. Oh well, what can you do. He sucks less than the alternatives for now (Sherrod 2013)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse isn't the left tackle of the future at this point, he han't shown me anything else to believe otherwise. Hopefully Sherrod gets healthy and can be a fixture at that position.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no reason to think he'll be worse than last year, partially because he's had a whole off-season, and partially because the coaches knew what they were getting into and had seen tons of tape and practice time with him. If he needs Crabtree on his side 2/3rds of the time against Jared Allen and Julius Peppers, they'll know to put him there. There shouldn't be any surprises.

Also, complain about his pass blocking, but he's an upgrade over Clifton in the running game, no doubt. Clifton was a totally 1 dimensional tackle, as witnessed by so many of our runs going right year after year.

Finally, it's TOTALLY RIDICULOUS to imply that he's so bad that he got Sherrod injured. Injuries happen all the time on the field and you can't pick one guy and put it on him. What's sad is that Sherrod was having by far his best game against KC, and if/when he's back I expect him to push Newhouse hard for the starting spot. It'd be really nice to have Newhouse as a backup at both tackles.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing concern about a Packers' starter (or depth) even if there isn't a better option available. Every team has weaknesses in their starting lineups - why not discuss them?

I too am concerned about Newhouse but not to the level some have expressed here. The numbers reported for last season related to Newhouse playing 77% of snaps (not all at LT). If those stats are extrapolated to playing 100% of snaps Newhouse would have given up about 13.5 sacks and 54 pressures. But I wouldn't get too hung up with those "guesstimates" because the opponents he faced vs. those he didn't at LT have a lot to do with those stats. And Newhouse appears smart and dedicated and should be better this season because of the experience he gained last year.

The McGinn article was linked but not quoted. IMO he hits on the main issue in the first two sentences:
The real issue with the Green Bay Packers' offensive line … (isn't depth, it is) whether Marshall Newhouse can provide championship play in his first season as the full-fledged starter at left tackle.
Here's the good news according to the article: Newhouse has the physical attributes to succeed at LT. So what's he missing? Back to McGinn as he quotes two NFL scouts/personnel guys from other teams:
"He's got the feet, but he has to play physical," said one after the Cleveland game. Added another: "He just needs to finish. He gives it up way too easy." Newhouse has looked improved in pass protection this summer, but you can't really tell until the regular season."
I'd be much more concerned if he didn't have the physical attributes to succeed (ala Barbre for example). He can learn to finish blocks better - that just requires a change in attitude and determination. I hope the staff is keeping after him to do just that.

As to his backup right now I'd guess it's Lang with either Wells or EDS taking over the LG spot. Wells will probably get some time at LT Thursday but I don't know if he's a better option than Lang at LT at this point. Either way, I'd really like to see Thompson add one more veteran who could fill in at LT. There just might not be one available they think is better than Lang or Wells. I don't think they should count on Sherrod at all this season. If he can get healthy and if he can get in football shape and if he can perform at a better level than Newhouse (which he didn't do as a rookie), that'd be great. But I won't be surprised to see him PUP'd and then IR'd.

One more thing: If Benson's debut translates into his performance week in and week out, the threat of a run and play action will be Newhouse's (and Rodgers' and our) best friend!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts