Marshall Newhouse worries me

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshall Newhouse allowed 10 ½ sacks a year ago in just 77% playing time, the most allowed by a Green Bay player since Tony Mandarich was trashed for 12 ½ in 1990.

I know there are high hopes for the Marshall plan, but we're playing with fire if Rodgers is sacked that much from the blind side again.

I just think Newhouse looks the part, looks like Tarzan, but his play is like Jane. He's not strong off the blocks as a run blocker, clearly. But his pass protection can and needs to step it way up.

http://packersinsider.com/?p=4443

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a grade-scale, how good do you expect Newhouse's play to be this year?
Last year, he gets a 'D'. His overall play would be an F, considering the amount of sacks he allowed were the worse this team has seen since the big Bust. And he got the true talented LT Derek Sherrod's leg snapped.

But since Newhouse was almost a rookie and pressed into action unexpectedly, I give him a slight break and a 'D'.

This year, I expect similar.... worried because game one he sees Justin Smith and Alden Smith.
Game two he sees Julius Peppers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse got better last year as the season went on. He will be fine this season, or at least won't be a negative.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was literally just thinking about this, no one is mentioning the fact that Newhouse has not shown much of an improvement from last years nightmare season. Newhouse still looks like the guy who couldn't stop a nosebleed against the Giants. The line is very solid, dare I say elite, except for one glaring weakness at LT which makes the line look awful (chain only as strong as its weakest link). I trust Newhouse during the regular season but I am praying that Sherrod will be fully healthy by mid-season so he can practice and prepare so that when playoff time comes he will be ready to step in and take over for Newhouse. Otherwise I just see a repeat of last year with the number of elite outside passrushers we will be facing in the NFC playoffs, Peppers, the Smiths, JPP, Ware, Cole, etc.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Newhouse a lot in the last game. His guy was getting a good push against him all night. One time he got pushed back nearly 6 steps and almost fell down. That was the reason Rodgers was running so much. The DE was pushing both him (and Bulaga to a lesser extent) allowing a huge hole for Rodgers to run for good yardage. But you don't want to see your QB doing this a lot. Running spells trouble for a QB.

Actually when I watched him run block he seemed to do a better job.

Like you Frank I'm concerned about him. I can't translate that to a grade.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see the cause for concern, but last year he was thrown into the fire, his stats (lol, lineman stats) were bad there is no way around it. But one thing I heard come from both McCarthy and Rodgers that really gives me the confidence in him was when they said something along the lines of,We dont have to change our offense when Newhouse is on the field. He may not be a guy who is going to shut down an elite pass rusher all game long, but he is serviceable. Pair that with the rest of the guys holding a good pocket on the other side of the ball and you can see Rodgers stepping up passed the guy pushing newhouse back and moving around where he is arguably his most dangerous. As long as newhouse can make reasonable progression this year I imagine he will be fine.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Slaughter do you think a guy who has had concussions from running should be doing that to the extent he did in the last game? Yes, there are times when he will have to scramble but there's a risk with that don't you agree? Who is the most important offensive player on the field for the Packers? I'll answer that, it's Rodgers and ... Harrell is his backup!

I'm not sure we can say Newhouse is serviceable at this point and given that definition based on what I have seen of his play in the preseason is less than comforting to me. If Newhouse continues to play like he did last year one of those pops on Rodgers will end his and our season. And what else do you expect MM to say about Newhouse?

Reaction score
Last year, he gets a 'D'. His overall play would be an F, considering the amount of sacks he allowed were the worse this team has seen since the big Bust. And he got the true talented LT Derek Sherrod's leg snapped.

But since Newhouse was almost a rookie and pressed into action unexpectedly, I give him a slight break and a 'D'.

This year, I expect similar.... worried because game one he sees Justin Smith and Alden Smith.
Game two he sees Julius Peppers.

How did he Newhouse break Sherrod's leg last year? I didn't see him fall into him or anything.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, he gets a 'D'. His overall play would be an F, considering the amount of sacks he allowed were the worse this team has seen since the big Bust.

Packers were 15-1 with Newhouse playing a large majority of the year... He couldn't have been that bad.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Newhouse benefits from having a full off-season to prepare. Maybe having Benson in support as a blocker helps the passing game on first and second downs.

I also think it helps when we play out of shotgun and I prefer it when our receivers run shorter routes. Rodgers shouldn't sit on the ball.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in 2000 Clifton and Tauscher were forced into starting and they struggled with both the run and the pass and Favre was no Rodger when it came to getting away. But by year two they really blossomed and Ahman Green was finding the holes and Favre had more time to throw. Had Ross Verba proved to be what he was drafted to be Clifton may never have gotten the spot. Newhouse was not a top round pick. He is supposed to be a back up. But until we have someone better he is all we got. What happens if he goes down? Then it really gets scary.

Sherrod's injury was really unfortunate. I was at the KC game and he was out of position trying to keep up with his man. I think a lack of reps going into that game hurt him. Let's hope he will step up in a season when we need someone young to develop on that line.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did he Newhouse break Sherrod's leg last year?
Because Newhouse was simply a turnstyle that whole day long letting Tamba Hali run right around him time and time again. That game was a disaster and much of the problem was that left edge.
Sure, they should have kept Tom Crabtree in to block every time at TE on that side. They had too high of expectations for Newhouse it appeared.

Anyway, let's hope the guy is a lot better this year, but he didn't look too good vs Cinci Thursday.
Again, he looks the part.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because Newhouse was simply a turnstyle that whole day long letting Tamba Hali run right around him time and time again. That game was a disaster and much of the problem was that left edge.
Sure, they should have kept Tom Crabtree in to block every time at TE on that side. They had too high of expectations for Newhouse it appeared.

Anyway, let's hope the guy is a lot better this year, but he didn't look too good vs Cinci Thursday.

I thought my post included a video of the play. :oops: Perhaps someone can post one of the play. I remember that Newhouse did figure prominently in it. Maybe I'm wrong.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were 15-1 with Charley Peprah playing safety. Next.:)

Packers won a Super Bowl with Charlie Peprah starting at safety.

Can't have an All-Pro at every position. Newhouse's short-comings can be neutralized by sliding protection, chipping the end or running quicker passing routes. He's good enough for the Packers to win a Super Bowl.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers won a Super Bowl with Charlie Peprah starting at safety.

Can't have an All-Pro at every position. Newhouse's short-comings can be neutralized by sliding protection, chipping the end or running quicker passing routes. He's good enough for the Packers to win a Super Bowl.
Wow, this one is easy. They didn't win one with Newhouse playing tackle did they? But they did win one with Chad Clifton playing tackle didn't they? :)

The point is both of them were inadequate in 2011. Extrapolating a connection to the 15-1 season and how the play of either one was an ingredient escapes me.:confused:

Reaction score

I was being sarcastic. Newhouse had nothing to do with Sherrod's leg injury. It was a freak injury and you can not blame it on Newhouse. Remember Tamba Hali is a very good pass rusher. He is very underrated.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, relax. Take a deep breath and step back from the ledge. Newhouse was rusty against Cincy in his first game back after missing quite a bit of practice and two pre-season games since suffering a concussion during family night. He did an OK job last season filling in for a broken down Chad Clifton, improving steadily as the season went on. If he can pick up where he left off, we're going to be more than fine.

Besides, name me one quality player available right now, today, who would be an upgrade at this point?

Don't worry, I'll wait.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok isn't giving up 10 1/2 sacks imo. And then there were the pressures. I think what we are concerned about is the same type of play against Cincy we saw last season.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is both of them were inadequate in 2011. Extrapolating a connection to the 15-1 season and how the play of either one was an ingredient escapes me.:confused:

I wasn't extrapolating anything. Just noting that Newhouse was good enough to help Rodgers be the MVP and the Packers go 15-1. Newhouse at his best (while only adequeate) is good enough for the Packers to win a title.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, relax. Take a deep breath and step back from the ledge. Newhouse was rusty against Cincy in his first game back after missing quite a bit of practice and two pre-season games since suffering a concussion during family night. He did an OK job last season filling in for a broken down Chad Clifton, improving steadily as the season went on. If he can pick up where he left off, we're going to be more than fine.

Besides, name me one quality player available right now, today, who would be an upgrade at this point?

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Agreed. Newhouse is the best option (and only option). All he needs to be is "good enough".

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok isn't giving up 10 1/2 sacks imo. And then there were the pressures. I think what we are concerned about is the same type of play against Cincy we saw last season.

He gave up 7 sacks and 21 pressures in his first season going against elite talent.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2011/12/13/2634247/offensive-line-and-sacks-given-up

Edit- The article linked above doesn't appear to be the most updated. Regardless, again, I ask you- Who, right now, is available that would be an upgrade at the position?