1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Malik Turner connected to Packers

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by tynimiller, Aug 10, 2020.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Let's not forget some of our best WRs served time, some few years as 4/5 type guy.

Adams himself....Driver...

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Nevermind on Adams he was basically our 3 entering his rookie year.

3. McKnowledge

McKnowledge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That could be interesting. I personally wish Gute would give Jon Gruden a call and see if a trade for Hunter Renfrow is available. A true slot guy with good hands is much needed.

4. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I think in most offseasons you could expect some improvement from 1, maybe 2. Unfortunately, this isn't a normal offseason and those players are getting much less practice time and no exhibition games to improve. Plus, based on what they showed last year, the Packers don't need a "little" improvement from ESB or MVS, they need a LOT of improvement and I just don't see any way to reasonably plan on that. It's obvious the Packers' front office was fine going into the season this year with one great WR, one potentially decent #3 in Lazard, and a bunch of questions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Very doubtful, he's cheap and I think Renfrow graded out very well last year in the slot.

6. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    We’ll have to agree to disagree. I have always, and will always believe in young players improving and developing under the tutelage of good coaching. All of our good and great players over the last 30 years have gone through varying degrees of development. I don’t recall Green Bay ever in my lifetime drafting a sure-fire lock or generational talent. White and Woodson were brought in from elsewhere. They would be the closest things to that description imo.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    ZERO chance a team is going to let go of a guy that has early signs of gold in the slot for VERY cheap. I'm still shaking my head as I know many are as we passed over him in the draft, dude IMO had NO reason to still be there when he was...or quite a bit higher as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    He didn't grade well athletically wasn't it?

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Yeah rather low ratings...now I will say Gruden drafted what like 3 WRs in first 3 rounds this season....may not be room for Renfrow

10. Sunshinepacker

Packer Fan Since:
    I agree with what you've said. However, the players haven't had coaching this offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of Donald Driver types that turn into what he did being drafted late, or undrafted all together.

I'm hoping for a ton of progression from guys like MVS and EQSB (who I'm very high on). And then undrafted guys. But I remain hesitant.

12. Pintsizedbox9

Pintsizedbox9 Cheesehead

I don't disagree with the general idea that a player can improve, even drastically. But to expect nearly the whole group to improve in one off season is a pipe dream

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I don't think anyone would argue everyone will improve dramatically...or even improve.

14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Their speed is reliable ;)

Once again, it's completely unrealistic to expect four out of five players to improve. Just take a look at last season, out of 21 draft picks that were second or third year players only one made a significant jump in production (Aaron Jones).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    For sure, I don't need any of them to become a Drive type...but give me a Robert Ferguson level type guy, or a Bill Schroeder type guy and I'm golden. MVS, ESB, Kumerow, Begelton...just one to step up and be a TRUE #3 would go a long way. Shoot throw Lazard in there and say you'll give me two guys that are arguably capable of being a bonafide #3 or challenge for such on any roster (perhaps #2) I'm ECSTATIC.

ESB's chance to excel is falling together VERY nicely. Funchess opting out, us not drafting anyone AND the book/hardwork nerd that he is known to be all line up to him getting some serious nods. If he excels and Lazard missteps it is VERY possible ESB becomes our #2 by mid season or so.

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Well, Pike expects four out of five wide receivers to improve. That's pretty close to everyone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm quite sure that would be fear into opposing defensive coordinators, especially paired with our elite group of tight ends :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Sunshinepacker

Packer Fan Since:
    To be clear though, Jones didn't improve that much, the coach just realized how much better he was (and always has been) than Williams and gave him the chance to play more.

19. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Or Jones just went thru his first season not injured in camp coming off injury or suspension as well?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Jones dedicated his offseason to improve his fitness last year. He changed his body and it showed on the field.

21. Sunshinepacker

Packer Fan Since:
    Well, let's see. His yards per carry was lower in 2019 than 2018:
    2018: 133 carries for 5.5 yards per attempt (avg of 11.1 carries per game)
    2019: 236 carries for 4.6 yards per attempt (avg of 14.75 carries per game)

Looking at the numbers, it just seems like the primary difference in total rushing yards was that he was suspended for 2 games in 2018 and MLF gave him more carries in 2019 (MM was fired for a reason, one of them being that he only ran Jones an average of 8 times a game in weeks 3-6). Unless someone wants to argue that rushing TDs was a sudden rushing skill that Jones developed, it appears that the coach just wasn't as stupid as MM when it came to which RB was better (even MM eventually learned, it just took a long time).

It does appear that his receiving was slightly improved in 2019:
    2018: 35 targets, 26 receptions, 206 yards, 5.9 yards per target, 1 TD
    2019: 68 targets, 49 receptions, 474 yards, 7.0 yards per target, 3 TD

Look, I'm not trying to argue that Jones didn't improve from 2108 - 2019, he did, though it wasn't a HUGE jump. His primary improvement was in his catch rate (he only dropped two passes in 2019). I was simply stating that Jones was ALREADY an elite RB in 2018, it just took MLF and an injury to Adams to actually give him the chance to get the volume he got last year.

22. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    TD's go up and down by a lot for all sorts of players every year, that's not my metric. Jones was good, Jones is good. Jones was in better shape. Jones wasn't injured, Jones wasn't suspended. Jones didn't carry the ball much more at all under MLF than MM, he was just more available. Could there be a reason he didn't run him much in weeks 3-6? Maybe missing the entire preseason and TC with an injury and then coming off a suspension? Remember what happened to Dorsey after missing a TC and being put to work out of the gates. That ended well. Passing to RB's did increase last year over the prior, that was noticeable.

23. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I think his week 3-6 misuse was also the team trying out Jamaal as the starter given the perception he was a better pass blocker. We saw how that worked out. Jones became the clear talent in the backfield.

24. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I dont know why peeps crow over St Brown. He is average at best with a bad injury in his mirror. Love the loyalty, but truth be said we don't know if Turner will assist well or not. It is definitely worth a shot. The same thing happened with Favre comment earlier is spot on, and we have a coaching staff that wants the TN Titan offense in full bloom.

25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Jones received the majority of snaps under McCarthy when he was healthy as well. He was in better shape last year though.