Malik Turner connected to Packers

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah really no point. Gotta get AR a real weapon. This same thing management did to Favre. Tell me this you get lucky enough to have back to back hall a fame qbs, how many first round picks do you spend on pass catchers during that time period? How many high profile pass catchers do you trade for or sign in free agency?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll take whatever. whoever ends up our #4 and #5 guys are going to be pretty big question marks, so i'm good with having more competition for those spots. we know what we have with kumerow, not much, and he's almost 30. begelton, who knows. doesn't hurt to have a younger guy with some regular season experience on a roster.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll take whatever. whoever ends up our #4 and #5 guys are going to be pretty big question marks, so i'm good with having more competition for those spots. we know what we have with kumerow, not much, and he's almost 30. begelton, who knows. doesn't hurt to have a younger guy with some regular season experience on a roster.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't dislike the addition at all, I was rather high on Malik when he came out...but we needed another Funchess type signing at minimum...not something lower. I'd argue Begelton has done more...albeit may have a lower ceiling of course.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah really no point. Gotta get AR a real weapon. This same thing management did to Favre. Tell me this you get lucky enough to have back to back hall a fame qbs, how many first round picks do you spend on pass catchers during that time period? How many high profile pass catchers do you trade for or sign in free agency?

So would you give Antonio Brown a call?

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about this guy I don't think he'd be bad but I don't think he'd be a difference maker though I don't know that anyone available would be except Brown or Gordon who com with to many problems outside of their play.

Would you guy's be interested in trying to trade for Corey davis?
He's one guy that sort of catches my eye if the cost to acquire was low enough.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about this guy I don't think he'd be bad but I don't think he'd be a difference maker though I don't know that anyone available would be except Brown or Gordon who com with to many problems outside of their play.

i'm fine with rolling with what we've got and bringing in some competition from guys just floating around out there
but other than that, i'd rather not trade for anyone and just roll with what we've got
funchess is a loss, but even with that loss, we're i think at a "slightly better outlook than last year" level for our pass catchers
roll with that

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Corey Davis I don't think would happen, not opposed to kicking that trade tire to see but I personally just don't see it.

Josh Gordon is a dude especially with this year's issues, bubble mentality and being in Green Bay I'm all for bringing in. His issues and AB's are drastically different IMO. AB's issues pour out to others, Gordon's are all self destructing.

D

Deleted member 6794

Demovsky hinted at a visit and a few articles also hinted at a hosting of Malik in Green Bay.

FYI current rules in place prevent teams from working out outside free agents without intending to sign them, suggesting Turner is likely to be added to the roster in the near future.

While that move didn't appear on the league's transaction wire the Packers claimed WR Travis Fulgham off waivers from the Lions. The 2019 sixth round pick didn't register any receptions with the team while playing only 63 snaps on offense last year.

I'd argue Begelton has done more...albeit may have a lower ceiling of course.

Begelton played against significantly lower competition though.

i'm fine with rolling with what we've got and bringing in some competition from guys just floating around out there
but other than that, i'd rather not trade for anyone and just roll with what we've got
funchess is a loss, but even with that loss, we're i think at a "slightly better outlook than last year" level for our pass catchers
roll with that

I don't consider the receiving corps to be even slightly improved over last season. Gutekunst definitely should have addressed it more aggressively this offseason.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider the receiving corps to be even slightly improved over last season. Gutekunst definitely should have addressed it more aggressively this offseason.

How do you define slightly? I mean we have literally the same group, minus Gmo, but added Begelton and a healthy ESB...and perhaps a few others. Would have had Funchess as well.

There is a difference between saying we didn't do enough vs observing that the position room advanced if for no other reason than a healthy ESB entered. Is that a 1% upgrade or is he the next all pro...my hunch is truth is somewhere in between :) LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

How do you define slightly? I mean we have literally the same group, minus Gmo, but added Begelton and a healthy ESB...and perhaps a few others. Would have had Funchess as well.

There is a difference between saying we didn't do enough vs observing that the position room advanced if for no other reason than a healthy ESB entered. Is that a 1% upgrade or is he the next all pro...my hunch is truth is somewhere in between :) LOL

You have to consider that the Packers lost their #1 receiving tight end from last season as well when evaluating the pass catchers entering this season.

Therefore I don't consider the group to be improved, that's on Gutekunst.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider that the Packers lost their #1 receiving tight end from last season as well when evaluating the pass catchers entering this season.

I'm with you if we look at the TE's inclusive of the discussion. At best presently I think one could argue a wash, but that is at best. Should there be progress, of course. Healthy ESB, continued growth of at least one or two of Tonyan, Jace, MVS, Lazard, Kumerow....but that is a should which could or could not happen.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you if we look at the TE's inclusive of the discussion. At best presently I think one could argue a wash, but that is at best. Should there be progress, of course. Healthy ESB, continued growth of at least one or two of Tonyan, Jace, MVS, Lazard, Kumerow....but that is a should which could or could not happen.
When you are a draft and develop organization like the Packers, my guess is they are figuring on improvement from 4 of those 5 you listed. St. Brown and Begelton as add in’s. My question is, who amongst these guys have shown up physically ready to show marked improvement. Being on your own isolated from the rest of the team is a test of self-discipline. We’ll see who on this team has it and who doesn’t. Hoping that team-wide we have had more self discipline and professional commitment as a whole than other teams have.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I mean, if removing Graham means they target Jones more in the passing game, I'd consider that a big win; hopefully MLF shows the flexibility to consider that and doesn't only involve Jones heavily in the passing game when Adams and/or Williams are hurt.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's official, Packers have signed Malik Turner. Between this and claiming Fulgham, it's obvious that the Packers see no need to add reliable speed to an overall slow receiving unit... I'm more and more becoming convinced that Gute should just send a third round pick to the Panthers for Samuel; would instantly become the team's second receiver and open up the offense SUBSTANTIALLY.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d be more excited if it was Malik Jackson, and there was going to be a season this year

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season is not going to happen. Play the long game. Also why the Love pick makes more sense than people think.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm with you if we look at the TE's inclusive of the discussion.

Well, the tight ends definitely need to be taken into consideration when talking about the pass catchers on the roster.

When you are a draft and develop organization like the Packers, my guess is they are figuring on improvement from 4 of those 5 you listed. St. Brown and Begelton as add in’s.

It's completely unrealistic to expect four out of five players mentioned to improve this season. Begelton is a long shot to even make the roster.

I mean, if removing Graham means they target Jones more in the passing game, I'd consider that a big win; hopefully MLF shows the flexibility to consider that and doesn't only involve Jones heavily in the passing game when Adams and/or Williams are hurt.

There's no doubt Jones needs to be involved in the passing game more often. That doesn't change anything about the Packers needing another outside receiver aside of Adams, another one in the slot as well as a tight end to step up.

It's official, Packers have signed Malik Turner. Between this and claiming Fulgham, it's obvious that the Packers see no need to add reliable speed to an overall slow receiving unit...

The Packers have plenty of speed at wide receiver with MVS and EQ. Unfortunately neither of them can be relied to have a significant impact this season.

This season is not going to happen. Play the long game. Also why the Love pick makes more sense than people think.

Could someone please explain to me why selecting Love makes more sense if the season in canceled??? I have read the argument several times but it doesn't make sense to me.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not unrealistic in the least to expect 4 out of 5 WR’s to Improve their skills being that all 5 mentioned have 2 or less years of NFL and Aaron Rodgers experience.

my biggest question is who amongst those 5 have developed the professionalism and commitment to their craft to improve their skills and knowledge in off-season isolation.
That also requires a certain amount of maturity and self discipline. I have no idea how to assess those intangibles but I bet the coaching staff has a pretty good idea.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not unrealistic in the least to expect 4 out of 5 WR’s to Improve their skills being that all 5 mentioned have 2 or less years of NFL and Aaron Rodgers experience.

I believe it's extremely unrealistic to expect 4/5 guys to improve their "skills" between seasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts