Malik Turner connected to Packers

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you are a draft and develop organization like the Packers, my guess is they are figuring on improvement from 4 of those 5 you listed. St. Brown and Begelton as add in’s. My question is, who amongst these guys have shown up physically ready to show marked improvement. Being on your own isolated from the rest of the team is a test of self-discipline. We’ll see who on this team has it and who doesn’t. Hoping that team-wide we have had more self discipline and professional commitment as a whole than other teams have.

Couldn't have said it any better. The guys who will hurt most from this? MVS and Sternberger are my bets.

The Packers have plenty of speed at wide receiver with MVS and EQ. Unfortunately neither of them can be relied to have a significant impact this season.

St. Brown ran 4.48 at the Combine and then opted not to run at his Pro Day, he's a lot of things but speedy he is not.

MVS ran 4.37 at the Combine and his numbers at his Pro Day were not published, I'm assuming he ran faster at the Combine then. That would be considered speed.

Could someone please explain to me why selecting Love makes more sense if the season in canceled??? I have read the argument several times but it doesn't make sense to me.

If there is no season then Gutekunst and the entire front office gets bailed out for not selecting a WR or TE and dealing with the potential fallout if the WRs currently on the roster show very little improvement. Next year they would have no excuse to not select a WR Day 1 or Day 2 though. MLF can continue to build his Titans offense with an OT on Day 1 or 2 as well which would allow us to cut either Taylor or Turner and possibly slide Wagner inside to Guard.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4.48 is abundantly fast to play WR in the NFL.

Yes, nobody said otherwise. Ppl just pointing out that 4.48 isn't elite deep speed. It's very fast for a 6'5, 215lb WR but it's not the kind of speed that forces safeties to play deep.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope ESB turns into Jordy caliber receiver but I'm not sure I have your level of optimism on that.
I don't have that level of optimism. Someone in a post directly above mine had this to say about EQ when someone said MVS and EQ bring plenty of speed to the WR group,
he's a lot of things but speedy he is not

He is. 4.48 is plenty fast and especially at his size. He's faster than Jordy, and nobody was calling him slow.

D

Deleted member 6794

If there is no season then Gutekunst and the entire front office gets bailed out for not selecting a WR or TE and dealing with the potential fallout if the WRs currently on the roster show very little improvement.

While the season being canceled would allow Gutekunst another offseason to address the wide receiver position Love's performance down the road will be the deciding factor in evaluating moving up in the first round to select him.

With contracts being tolled in that case the period to do that would be lengthened by another year.

Next year they would have no excuse to not select a WR Day 1 or Day 2 though.

Actually the Packers didn't have an excuse to not select a wide receiver early in this year's draft either yet Gutekunst somehow managed to pass on drafting one at all.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the Packers didn't have an excuse to not select a wide receiver early in this year's draft either yet Gutekunst somehow managed to pass on drafting one at all.

Lazard could be that excuse. I'm sure they would have been happy if a wr they ranked highly fell to them, when it didn't I'm sure they were fine with Lazard.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So would you give Antonio Brown a call?

Antonio Brown seems a bit of a Looney toon...I think I'd look into Josh Gordon before Brown. However I would not rule out Brown completely. Apparently both Tom Brady and Russell Wilson count themselves as fans of Brown.

My problem with Brown is, he's been accused of about the only thing that would make me not want a guy on my team.

However, I strongly believe in, innocent until proven guilty. Which by the way, is not how it works in the judicial system at all, unless you have the money to make it work that way. If youre an avg guy you're definitely guilty until proven innocent. I've had a lawyer tell me, yes the police violated your civil rights and I can take your money to file a motion, but in all honesty even if I get this judge thrown off the case none of the judges that replace him will side against the police either.

So out here in the real world we do have the ability and responsibility to consider him innocent because he has not been proven guilty.

And I guess it comes back to the old adage, are you trying to win football games or a popularity contest...

So yeah I wouldn't rule out calling Antonio Brown

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not unrealistic in the least to expect 4 out of 5 WR’s to Improve their skills being that all 5 mentioned have 2 or less years of NFL and Aaron Rodgers experience.

my biggest question is who amongst those 5 have developed the professionalism and commitment to their craft to improve their skills and knowledge in off-season isolation.
That also requires a certain amount of maturity and self discipline. I have no idea how to assess those intangibles but I bet the coaching staff has a pretty good idea.

I'd put my money on EQSB

D

Deleted member 6794

Lazard could be that excuse. I'm sure they would have been happy if a wr they ranked highly fell to them, when it didn't I'm sure they were fine with Lazard.

While Lazard put up impressive numbers against terrible secondaries (twice vs. the Lions and against the Giants) he struggled against decent competition.

Gutekunst shouldn't have passed on selecting a wide receiver early because of him.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Lazard put up impressive numbers against terrible secondaries (twice vs. the Lions and against the Giants) he struggled against decent competition.

Gutekunst shouldn't have passed on selecting a wide receiver early because of him.

I suppose it's the devil you know... Wrs may take a bit to season and the old adage that it took 3 years for a wr to develop wouldn't really help us now if that were true. Obviously there's exceptions to that rule but I'm sure they ran the risk of drafting a 3 year project too at our pick. And maybe decided that a 3 year qb project was more valuable knowing they could trade our draft capital this year for a wr mid season (like what San fran did last year) if we are struggling.

D

Deleted member 6794

I suppose it's the devil you know... Wrs may take a bit to season and the old adage that it took 3 years for a wr to develop wouldn't really help us now if that were true. Obviously there's exceptions to that rule but I'm sure they ran the risk of drafting a 3 year project too at our pick. And maybe decided that a 3 year qb project was more valuable knowing they could trade our draft capital this year for a wr mid season (like what San fran did last year) if we are struggling.

I'm absolutely convinced it wouldn't have taken a rookie wide receiver selected early even close to three years to have an impact with the Packers, especially considering the lack of a decent #2 on the roster.

Gutekunst stood pat at the trade deadline last season as well although it was obvious the team needed another pass catcher. Therefeore I wouldn't hold my breath about him acquiring one this time around.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm absolutely convinced it wouldn't have taken a rookie wide receiver selected early even close to three years to have an impact with the Packers, especially considering the lack of a decent #2 on the roster.

Gutekunst stood pat at the trade deadline last season as well although it was obvious the team needed another pass catcher. Therefeore I wouldn't hold my breath about him acquiring one this time around.

As well he should have.... Sanu going for a 2nd rounder set an unrealistic market. Robby Anderson or Curtis Samuel would have gone for a first at that rate.
And your confidence level in our make believe first round wr plus about 3 bucks would buy a cup of coffee. :).

D

Deleted member 6794

As well he should have.... Sanu going for a 2nd rounder set an unrealistic market. Robby Anderson or Curtis Samuel would have gone for a first at that rate.

If that's true what makes you believe it will be different this year???

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah really no point. Gotta get AR a real weapon. This same thing management did to Favre. Tell me this you get lucky enough to have back to back hall a fame qbs, how many first round picks do you spend on pass catchers during that time period? How many high profile pass catchers do you trade for or sign in free agency?
Good point. The problem was having a GM who believed almost exclusively in draft and develop. There had to be years where there was enough cap to get help for Favre and Rodgers. Now time is running out on Rodgers, and Gluten trades up to get a QB. Mystifying, at least to me. In fairness, Gluten hasn't had much time, and he certainly stepped up big in FA last year with the Smiths and Amos. But with a handful of players eating up the cap, there's only so much he can do. I don't think a rookie WR would have had a huge impact this year, but an ILB in round 1 would have been a better choice that a QB. Just my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this season is gonna be marred by Covid. If impact players go down (and I'm referring to the whole league), a SB contender can sink quickly. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. The problem was having a GM who believed almost exclusively in draft and develop. There had to be years where there was enough cap to get help for Favre and Rodgers. Now time is running out on Rodgers, and Gluten trades up to get a QB. Mystifying, at least to me. In fairness, Gluten hasn't had much time, and he certainly stepped up big in FA last year with the Smiths and Amos. But with a handful of players eating up the cap, there's only so much he can do. I don't think a rookie WR would have had a huge impact this year, but an ILB in round 1 would have been a better choice that a QB. Just my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this season is gonna be marred by Covid. If impact players go down (and I'm referring to the whole league), a SB contender can sink quickly. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

IN the short term one of the stud Tackles, a WR (PITTMAN!!!!) or an ILB would have assisted this team exceedingly better than what we did grab in Round 1.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Antonio Brown seems a bit of a Looney toon...I think I'd look into Josh Gordon before Brown. However I would not rule out Brown completely. Apparently both Tom Brady and Russell Wilson count themselves as fans of Brown.

My problem with Brown is, he's been accused of about the only thing that would make me not want a guy on my team.

However, I strongly believe in, innocent until proven guilty. Which by the way, is not how it works in the judicial system at all, unless you have the money to make it work that way. If youre an avg guy you're definitely guilty until proven innocent. I've had a lawyer tell me, yes the police violated your civil rights and I can take your money to file a motion, but in all honesty even if I get this judge thrown off the case none of the judges that replace him will side against the police either.

So out here in the real world we do have the ability and responsibility to consider him innocent because he has not been proven guilty.

And I guess it comes back to the old adage, are you trying to win football games or a popularity contest...

So yeah I wouldn't rule out calling Antonio Brown

I understand your stance and value your opinion, and I don't disagree at all. But it could get real interesting if there is a WR injury, a favorable development in the judicial process for AB, or both that compells Gute to make a call for his services.

The Packers did nothing to move the needle for the 2020 season outside the potential of AJ Dillon, so any stagnation in offensive production might give them a sense of urgency.

Adding Josh Gordon is interesting, but he's facing a different type of demon.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they could sign Antonio Brown now and then trade him for more just before he is allowed back. Of course, you could not give him any upfront money.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm under the assumption that the trade market is set every year. Last year was weird with the Pats essentially sandbagging everyone with that deal.

It's possible teams will ask for a lot in return for a wide receiver at the trade deadline once again. It's definitely not a smart approach to rely on being able to acquire one late in the season.

In fairness, Gluten hasn't had much time, and he certainly stepped up big in FA last year with the Smiths and Amos. But with a handful of players eating up the cap, there's only so much he can do. I don't think a rookie WR would have had a huge impact this year, but an ILB in round 1 would have been a better choice that a QB. Just my opinion.

Gutekunst has done a great job in free agency since taking over as the team's general manager. His drafts have been questionable at best so far though.

I'm absolutely convinced a first round wide receiver would have put up better numbers than anyone aside of Adams currently on the roster.

IN the short term one of the stud Tackles, a WR (PITTMAN!!!!) or an ILB would have assisted this team exceedingly better than what we did grab in Round 1.

It's possible that ends up being true in the long haul as well.

He doesn’t have to in order to adequately fill the #2 or #3 receiver spot.

True, but the Packers are in desperate need of somehow developing into a decent #2 extremely fast.

Maybe they could sign Antonio Brown now and then trade him for more just before he is allowed back. Of course, you could not give him any upfront money.

Why do you expect another team would give up anything in return for Brown in the middle of the season if none of them is interested in signing him now???

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Malik has done about all he could have hoped for this camp for a spot...seems the #4/5 maybe 6 spot at WR is a deep competition. EQ/Kumerow/Begelton/Turner/Shepherd/Ervin/MVS all vying for a spot.

Most would say EQ and MVS are for sure in and it is really a battle of 4 or 5 guys for one or two spots.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts