Losing Teams

Reaction score
If you been following NFL football for some years now, we as Packer fans are very fortunate with our wins,

But I always wondered, and realize not every team gets to play in the SB.

How can teams that continue for years with a losing record play 16 games (Ex. 1-15 or 2-14 etc.) be called "Professional Football Team"?

Talk about your dedicated fans, not to mention prices of tickets at home games for support.

Some years seems bad teams are getting worse and good teams are getting better.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with everything, semantics plays a role. If one takes the definition of 'professional' as getting paid to do something, these guys are the ultimate professionals. If one defines a pro as someone who's good at something, not so much. As far as the poor schmucks who can't afford it but pay for seats, memorabilia, et. al., to support the chronically bad teams, it's not much different than the adults supporting the good teams.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If you been following NFL football for some years now, we as Packer fans are very fortunate with our wins,

But I always wondered, and realize not every team gets to play in the SB.

How can teams that continue for years with a losing record play 16 games (Ex. 1-15 or 2-14 etc.) be called "Professional Football Team"?

Talk about your dedicated fans, not to mention prices of tickets at home games for support.

Some years seems bad teams are getting worse and good teams are getting better.
You could have been writing about the Packers in the 70's through late 80's. Though several 8-8 seasons always gave hope for next year. Also they never won fewer than four over that stretch. Packers actually haven't won fewer than four since the 50's.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You could have been writing about the Packers in the 70's through late 80's. Though several 8-8 seasons always gave hope for next year. Also they never won fewer than four over that stretch. Packers actually haven't won fewer than four since the 50's.
Agree, the so called gory years weren’t anywhere near as gory as what many franchises have gone through over even longer stretches than what we saw in Green Bay for 20 years. Our fan base was spoiled even back then after experiencing the Lombardi years. We are indeed very fortunate.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree, the so called gory years weren’t anywhere near as gory as what many franchises have gone through over even longer stretches than what we saw in Green Bay for 20 years.

While there's some truths to it the Packers only ranked 25th out of 28 teams in winning percentage from 1968 to '91.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While there's some truths to it the Packers only ranked 25th out of 28 teams in winning percentage from 1968 to '91.
Playing with numbers again, eh?

Why did you choose 1968 and 1991 as start and stop points? Couldn’t resist the urge to try and diminish my point? :)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why did you choose 1968 and 1991 as start and stop points? Couldn’t resist the urge to try and diminish my point? :)
What years would you have picked? Super bowl 2 was played in 1968... Brett Favre became the starter in 1992... so the years in between seem like the years I would have chosen as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What years would you have picked? Super bowl 2 was played in 1968... Brett Favre became the starter in 1992... so the years in between seem like the years I would have chosen as well.
Generally people refer to the gory years as the 70’s and 80’s. Perhaps I have always misinterpreted the phrase all these years.

edit: I also don’t trust Capt with numbers.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers ranked 23rd out of 28 teams in winning percentage from 1970-89. Hope that makes you feel better.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally people refer to the gory years as the 70’s and 80’s. Perhaps I have always misinterpreted the phrase all these years.

edit: I also don’t trust Capt with numbers.
Well it was a long time of bad. There were some good players along the way but the teams (even 72 with Brockington and no pass game) were not going anywhere. Lynn ****ey years were fun but they could not stop anybody. A lot of it (all of it) was because the politicians in the city of Green Bay thought they could handle it. Hell, all you have to do is hire a Vince Lombardi but this time we are going to tell him how to run things.