Longevity of Jermichael Finley

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor, so for me it's tough to speculate on the long-term durability of Finley.

What I can say is this guy is an UNBELIEVABLE TALENT. I watched the top 100 NFL player series on the NFL Network and after the show was over a few of the guys were speculating on active players who may someday be on the top 100 list. Finley's name came up.

I agree he is cocky. The question is if it is a disruptive cocky (ie T Owens) or good cocky (Deion Sanders). Great talents are often cocky. In fact, they probably need to be a bit cocky as confidence is so important in a fast-moving game like football.

From what I see right now, I want Finley on the Packers for a long time. I believe he brings an energy and confidence that helps the team.

Finley and Quarless should be a very difficult matchup for opps defenses.

Great Analysis!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
We don't. Driver should not be here past next year. And, Jones is marginal. If he gets #1 or #2 receiver $$ from another team, I would let him walk. We should probably draft a WR with one of our top 4 picks this year anyway and we will be fine.

Finley is a guy we should pay and build around.

we need a rookie speedy wide receiver! FAST FAST FAST!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, it's too early to speculate on how his attitude will impact this team. I can only speak of my perception of him, and to me, he comes across as a guy who's attitude will be a problem at some point when it's time to discuss a new contract.

RE: Driver- He just signed what will likely be his final deal with the Green Bay Packers.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally would not want to trade this guy. he has had flashes of brilliance and has potential to be the best in the game. man just imagining this guy and Rodgers both in their prime together could be an amazing duo.

Unless there is some serious locker room problems being caused by this guy, i do not trade him solely for the fact that he can become something great.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, it's too early to speculate on how his attitude will impact this team. I can only speak of my perception of him, and to me, he comes across as a guy who's attitude will be a problem at some point when it's time to discuss a new contract.

RE: Driver- He just signed what will likely be his final deal with the Green Bay Packers.

DD is da man

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Driver signed an extension. He got some extra $ this year and he stands to earn $4.1 million next year IF he makes the team. Thompson and staff may decide he isn't worth the money and decide to move in another direction. Or, they could ask him to take a pay cut to be retained. Who knows?

The fact that his contract was extended doesn't necessarily mean he will play out the contract.
Do you honestly think Driver is done? The TD after half time shows he still has plenty in the tank for the last few years of his extension. I dont see TT and MM deciding to let him go before his contract is up unless he gets seriously hurt.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Driver signed an extension. He got some extra $ this year and he stands to earn $4.1 million next year IF he makes the team. Thompson and staff may decide he isn't worth the money and decide to move in another direction. Or, they could ask him to take a pay cut to be retained. Who knows?

The fact that his contract was extended doesn't necessarily mean he will play out the contract.

I wasn't implying signing Driver would somehow take away from being able to re-sign Finley. I was pointing out he's already received an extension, likely to be his last. Basically, we don't need to worry about extending Driver as far as Finley is concerned.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you honestly think Driver is done? The TD after half time shows he still has plenty in the tank for the last few years of his extension. I dont see TT and MM deciding to let him go before his contract is up unless he gets seriously hurt.

DD is da man

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley is young. He will grow up. Even if we do trade him, we'll get good value for him. Maybe a trade that generates another Clay Mathews?

I expect him to be on Packers roster for awhile, be a big contributor and get paid.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm really surprised at this thread. I can't imagine the Packers have ever once thought of trading JF, as I said earlier, I think they drafted Quarless to accent him, not replace him.
I would be shocked if he didn't come back next year and be the dominant TE in the NFL. I just hope they don't forget those deep outs to Jennings. If I were GM, I wouldn't take a first round pick for Finley, draft picks are iffy, this guy isn't.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver has 1 more year at the most IMO. perfect timing for a Finley contract.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really surprised at this thread. I can't imagine the Packers have ever once thought of trading JF, as I said earlier, I think they drafted Quarless to accent him, not replace him.
I would be shocked if he didn't come back next year and be the dominant TE in the NFL. I just hope they don't forget those deep outs to Jennings. If I were GM, I wouldn't take a first round pick for Finley, draft picks are iffy, this guy isn't.

I have never stated or implied that Quarless was drafted to replace Finley. Nor have I said that we trade him next season.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
Well I agree we were hurt by his injury this season but ive been reading updates on twitter and interviews and i think hes serious about getting ALOT stronger and what not for when he coems back alot to prevent future injuries. Not that that will guarentee he wont be injured but it does me that he is also being a realist and understanding that this cant happen anymore. So hopefully he gets healthy, faster, stronger, smarter during this time and we see no more injuries from him.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I have never stated or implied that Quarless was drafted to replace Finley. Nor have I said that we trade him next season.
Whoa, 2411, why did you think I was pointing at you?
I was talking about the general direction the thread was going is all. I don't have any intentions of knocking any other fan's opinions, just throwing mine out there.
Let's agree as Packerforum residents we just want a Lombardi trophy this year right? Everything else is just opinions and mine are no more relevant than anybody else's here.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Several on here have suggested we trade Finley because he will want to get paid or because he is cocky or whatever.

IT A'INT HAPPENING AND SHOULDN'T HAPPEN ...

When healthy, Finley is an elite playmaker and hasn't even hit his prime. He is 23 years old. He is too fast and too good a route runner for linebackers to guard him and he is too big and physical for DBs. He should be the featured playmaker on the Packer offense. It is no coincidence that he was the featured guy in last year's stretch run and playoffs.

Playmakers like Finley don't grow on trees. They are rare and the kind of guys you build your team around.

Rewind 15 years. Brett Favre was a cocky and talented QB and Mike Holmgren pulled his hair out (what was left). There was frustration often, but the Packers knew they had something special. There was a time when they considered benching Favre for Mark Brunell. Thankfully they didn't. Favre rewarded the Packers with two Super Bowl appearances and one victory.

There are only a handful of elite playmakers on the Packers - guys that can completely change the game. Their names - Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, and Jermichael Finley. Tramon Williams might be there - Woodson was last year. Raji may get there. That's it.

It's McCarthy and his staff's job to make sure he works and helps the team win. That can all be taught. Finley's talent is God-given.

Is it possible that Finley's career will get cut short due to injury? Of course. But, it's a risk worth taking.

Let's have a trade discussion in 2020 when Finley is 33 years old and the Packers have racked up a few Super Bowl victories. Until then, be thankful he is a member of the GB Packers.
Don't forget Jennings. He can take a 10 yard catch to the house anytime during a game.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what a lot of you are saying about Finley's maturity or lack thereof. Yet he matured a great deal from the previous season into this season. I think he is like a lot of young pros. Here is a very young man with a lot of talent, who is thrust into the NFL, a place full of cameras, egos, and money. I think he is doing ok for a guy of his age and potential. That being said, I'd love for him to mature more and tone it down a little. I don't have a problem with a little cockiness if it's backed up on the field. I think with the coaching staff Green Bay has, the veteran leadership the team has, and the mood of Green Bay itself, will all come together to put him on the right track.

As for his fragility or trading him, I'm not sold on either one. I don't think he is injury prone. He plays a position that puts him in harms way a lot. If he has another of the same injury next year that nets him on IR, I would say then his status should be reevaluated. Trading him would be a mistake I think, especially right now. I think if he comes back hungry and motivated to play for a deal, and plays the entire season that way, I would think he earned a deal. Now if he holds out, that stuff happens. Its not just the diva players that hold out. The divas just hold out forever. If he pulls that crap, I'd probably be ok with letting him go. If he wants insane money, I'd probably be ok with letting him go. I just think there are far too many variables in either of those situations to make an educated decision right now. Although, depending on the offer, I wouldn't refuse to trade him altogether. If an AFC team offered up something juicy, I wouldn't be pissed if the Pack jumped on it. For example (and I know this wouldn't happen, but its an example), if the Ravens offered Haloti Ngata or Miami offered us Cameron Wake straight up for Finley, I think it would HAVE to be considered.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa, 2411, why did you think I was pointing at you?
I was talking about the general direction the thread was going is all. I don't have any intentions of knocking any other fan's opinions, just throwing mine out there.
Let's agree as Packerforum residents we just want a Lombardi trophy this year right? Everything else is just opinions and mine are no more relevant than anybody else's here.

My apologies. I thought that was directed towards me as the thread creator.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope they don't forget those deep outs to Jennings.

If Finley gets the majority of touches in 2011 like he did in the beginning of the season, I don't think Jennings will be too excited. I bet he won't say anything, but I bet he'll be feeling it/thinking it. Just like how I bet DWade feels about Lebron. It's the mental tendency of the competitive spirit.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't think one 'diva' can tear apart an entire team. Especially one as in tune to the game as the Pack. Aaron is in charge, and I think everyone knows that. If Finley doesn't accept that, he'll get the bench, and that's a road that no player wants to go down. If it eventually gets to the point where he doesn't try and talks outside of games, yes, we'll trade him. I just don't see it getting to that point. Something about playing for the Green Bay Packers humbles players.

I see Finley's 'cockiness' as a good enthusiasm for the game, and if we can get him involved correctly, he can be one of the best weapons in the NFL. Unfortunately, that 'correctly' may involve putting Jennings in the number 2 spot, which hopefully he can accept.

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had that website for a while now.

As for attitude, just follow him on twitter. He's a cocky SOB, so much so I wound up unfollowing him. I think his attitude is going to warrant his being traded more than his health issues.

I don't bad-mouth Packers players, but I agree with the attitude issue with Finley; he has definitely shown his "true colors" since his injury.

Shortly after he went on IR, he posted a YouTube video cursing and stating "From now on, I'm not going to be a hero, if a dumb *** on offense fumbles a ball, the defense gets a free pass if it's anywhere near me." he went on to rant and curse about how unfair it was that he got hurt and how "some one will pay for this".. that video lasted approx. 10 mins before someone, (probably his wife) removed it from publication.

I have a feeling he'll be one of the first free agents to book as soon as he gets a better deal. He's very self centered and still hawking the YOTTO gear. I don't ever see him getting involved with the community or doing charity work.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't bad-mouth Packers players, but I agree with the attitude issue with Finley; he has definitely shown his "true colors" since his injury.

Shortly after he went on IR, he posted a YouTube video cursing and stating "From now on, I'm not going to be a hero, if a dumb *** on offense fumbles a ball, the defense gets a free pass if it's anywhere near me." he went on to rant and curse about how unfair it was that he got hurt and how "some one will pay for this".. that video lasted approx. 10 mins before someone, (probably his wife) removed it from publication.

I have a feeling he'll be one of the first free agents to book as soon as he gets a better deal. He's very self centered and still hawking the YOTTO gear. I don't ever see him getting involved with the community or doing charity work.
Really? Wow. I didn't realize it was that bad.

I guess I should add an addendum to my above post saying we should only feed Finley's ego like that if it doesn't disrupt the rest of core of the team. The last thing we want is to have Finley come in here, tear it up, then bolt for a better contract, leaving our team in disarray.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly he's had some contest winners he's neglected to give promised prizes to. Jersey Al on Twitter keeps harping on him to pay up.

I didn't mind the YOTTO thing so much, but when he lost me when he started popping off after someone said something less than complimentary about him.

Members online

Latest posts