1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Longevity of Jermichael Finley

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by 2411t, Dec 8, 2010.

1. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119

Great Analysis!

2. PackerFan87

PackerFan87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Finley hasn't proved himself yet. Trade him if he wants the $$$

3. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,406
    we need a rookie speedy wide receiver! FAST FAST FAST!

4. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Honestly, it's too early to speculate on how his attitude will impact this team. I can only speak of my perception of him, and to me, he comes across as a guy who's attitude will be a problem at some point when it's time to discuss a new contract.

RE: Driver- He just signed what will likely be his final deal with the Green Bay Packers.

5. JCpackers04

JCpackers04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    I personally would not want to trade this guy. he has had flashes of brilliance and has potential to be the best in the game. man just imagining this guy and Rodgers both in their prime together could be an amazing duo.

Unless there is some serious locker room problems being caused by this guy, i do not trade him solely for the fact that he can become something great.

6. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    DD is da man

7. YoKramer

YoKramer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    Do you honestly think Driver is done? The TD after half time shows he still has plenty in the tank for the last few years of his extension. I dont see TT and MM deciding to let him go before his contract is up unless he gets seriously hurt.

8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I wasn't implying signing Driver would somehow take away from being able to re-sign Finley. I was pointing out he's already received an extension, likely to be his last. Basically, we don't need to worry about extending Driver as far as Finley is concerned.

9. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    We really need to get DD a ring. It's only right

10. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    DD is da man

11. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Finley is young. He will grow up. Even if we do trade him, we'll get good value for him. Maybe a trade that generates another Clay Mathews?

I expect him to be on Packers roster for awhile, be a big contributor and get paid.

12. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I'm really surprised at this thread. I can't imagine the Packers have ever once thought of trading JF, as I said earlier, I think they drafted Quarless to accent him, not replace him.
    I would be shocked if he didn't come back next year and be the dominant TE in the NFL. I just hope they don't forget those deep outs to Jennings. If I were GM, I wouldn't take a first round pick for Finley, draft picks are iffy, this guy isn't.

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,131
    Driver has 1 more year at the most IMO. perfect timing for a Finley contract.

14. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    I have never stated or implied that Quarless was drafted to replace Finley. Nor have I said that we trade him next season.

15. Packman Chant

Packman Chant Lambeau West

Ratings:
    +22
    Well I agree we were hurt by his injury this season but ive been reading updates on twitter and interviews and i think hes serious about getting ALOT stronger and what not for when he coems back alot to prevent future injuries. Not that that will guarentee he wont be injured but it does me that he is also being a realist and understanding that this cant happen anymore. So hopefully he gets healthy, faster, stronger, smarter during this time and we see no more injuries from him.

16. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    Whoa, 2411, why did you think I was pointing at you?
    I was talking about the general direction the thread was going is all. I don't have any intentions of knocking any other fan's opinions, just throwing mine out there.
    Let's agree as Packerforum residents we just want a Lombardi trophy this year right? Everything else is just opinions and mine are no more relevant than anybody else's here.

17. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    I think Finley is pretty good

18. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    Don't forget Jennings. He can take a 10 yard catch to the house anytime during a game.

19. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    I agree with what a lot of you are saying about Finley's maturity or lack thereof. Yet he matured a great deal from the previous season into this season. I think he is like a lot of young pros. Here is a very young man with a lot of talent, who is thrust into the NFL, a place full of cameras, egos, and money. I think he is doing ok for a guy of his age and potential. That being said, I'd love for him to mature more and tone it down a little. I don't have a problem with a little cockiness if it's backed up on the field. I think with the coaching staff Green Bay has, the veteran leadership the team has, and the mood of Green Bay itself, will all come together to put him on the right track.

As for his fragility or trading him, I'm not sold on either one. I don't think he is injury prone. He plays a position that puts him in harms way a lot. If he has another of the same injury next year that nets him on IR, I would say then his status should be reevaluated. Trading him would be a mistake I think, especially right now. I think if he comes back hungry and motivated to play for a deal, and plays the entire season that way, I would think he earned a deal. Now if he holds out, that stuff happens. Its not just the diva players that hold out. The divas just hold out forever. If he pulls that crap, I'd probably be ok with letting him go. If he wants insane money, I'd probably be ok with letting him go. I just think there are far too many variables in either of those situations to make an educated decision right now. Although, depending on the offer, I wouldn't refuse to trade him altogether. If an AFC team offered up something juicy, I wouldn't be pissed if the Pack jumped on it. For example (and I know this wouldn't happen, but its an example), if the Ravens offered Haloti Ngata or Miami offered us Cameron Wake straight up for Finley, I think it would HAVE to be considered.

20. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    My apologies. I thought that was directed towards me as the thread creator.

21. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    If Finley gets the majority of touches in 2011 like he did in the beginning of the season, I don't think Jennings will be too excited. I bet he won't say anything, but I bet he'll be feeling it/thinking it. Just like how I bet DWade feels about Lebron. It's the mental tendency of the competitive spirit.

22. Incubes12

Ratings:
    +317
    I don't think one 'diva' can tear apart an entire team. Especially one as in tune to the game as the Pack. Aaron is in charge, and I think everyone knows that. If Finley doesn't accept that, he'll get the bench, and that's a road that no player wants to go down. If it eventually gets to the point where he doesn't try and talks outside of games, yes, we'll trade him. I just don't see it getting to that point. Something about playing for the Green Bay Packers humbles players.

I see Finley's 'cockiness' as a good enthusiasm for the game, and if we can get him involved correctly, he can be one of the best weapons in the NFL. Unfortunately, that 'correctly' may involve putting Jennings in the number 2 spot, which hopefully he can accept.

23. ilovemypackers

ilovemypackers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +125
    I don't bad-mouth Packers players, but I agree with the attitude issue with Finley; he has definitely shown his "true colors" since his injury.

Shortly after he went on IR, he posted a YouTube video cursing and stating "From now on, I'm not going to be a hero, if a dumb *** on offense fumbles a ball, the defense gets a free pass if it's anywhere near me." he went on to rant and curse about how unfair it was that he got hurt and how "some one will pay for this".. that video lasted approx. 10 mins before someone, (probably his wife) removed it from publication.

I have a feeling he'll be one of the first free agents to book as soon as he gets a better deal. He's very self centered and still hawking the YOTTO gear. I don't ever see him getting involved with the community or doing charity work.

24. Incubes12

Ratings:
    +317
    Really? Wow. I didn't realize it was that bad.

I guess I should add an addendum to my above post saying we should only feed Finley's ego like that if it doesn't disrupt the rest of core of the team. The last thing we want is to have Finley come in here, tear it up, then bolt for a better contract, leaving our team in disarray.

25. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Supposedly he's had some contest winners he's neglected to give promised prizes to. Jersey Al on Twitter keeps harping on him to pay up.

I didn't mind the YOTTO thing so much, but when he lost me when he started popping off after someone said something less than complimentary about him.