Lombardi, the movie

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Sounds like this is a go now... NFL putting dollars behind it... hope they don't doll it up to much, just show how much of a hard nosed coach he could be.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/businessofsports/archive/2007/08/02/lombardi-the-movie.aspx

Lombardi, the movie
By Don Walker
Thursday, Aug 2 2007, 12:08 PM
A new movie is in the works about Vince Lombardi, the legendary coach of the Green Bay Packers, and the 1967 National Football League Championship.

What makes this new production so compelling is that the NFL is lending its own financial and marketing muscle to the film, NFL officials said Thursday.

The biopic, in fact, is the league's first major involvement in a film. In the past, the NFL has lent licensing and continuity help to film producers. Examples would include the film "Jerry Maguire," and the more recent "Invincible."

In those films, the league got involved at the tail end of the production. This time, the league will be involved from the start.

With the league involved, assume the filmakers will want to use Lambeau Field, even though the stadium went through an extensive and expensive makeover, and the surrounding Green Bay area.

The script is based partly on Jerry Kramer's famous book, "Instant Replay." It is hoped that production could begin this coming winter, though that could change, an NFL official said. Kramer and the Vince Lombardi Estate also have signed off on the production.

Football fans may recall that ESPN a few years back commissioned a film about the Ice Bowl. But the film never got to production, and ESPN dropped the idea.

This particular production, which involves Andell Entertainment, seems to have more heft to it.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great, I cannot wait until it comes out. I wonder who they will get to play Lombardi.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to say either Antonio Banderas or Johnny Depp. Anyone else and I'm going to be pissed.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ed harris as coach landry.

Albert finney as Coach Lombardi.
or tell Al Pacino to put on some mass and play Lombardi...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer to read the book first. Some(many) of you perhaps have not read Instant Replay.

The best book on Lombardi while he was in Green Bay(next to Jerry Kramer's) is "When Pride Still Mattered", by David Mariniss because it told the story of Lombardi in another way, from the perspective of the people closest to him OFF the field. His family was mixed about him and he wasn't the semi-God the media folks have made him out to be. No knock on him from my perspective, because he was so devoted to his work that his family sometimes felt left behind.

As far as playing Lombardi on screen, tough call. James Gandolfini is taller and heavier than Lombardi, but he's the closest I could think of off the top. Ed Harris as Tom Landry would be a good choice.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In article in Green Bay Press-Gazette by Warren Gerds-PG entertainment reporter writes in the article "The movie will focus on Lombardi's leadership and motivational skill. The movie "Lombardi apparently will center on the coach during the week leading up to the Ice Bowl. which was played on December 31, 1967 at Lambeau Field."

The Ice Bowl game was the National Football League Championship game . The final Score The Green Bay Packers 21 Dallas Cowboys 17.

The Packers went on to go to Super Bowl 2 in Orange Bowl in Miami, Fl.

In Super Bowl 2 The Green Bay Packers beat the Oakland Raiders 33-14 of American Football League on 1/14/1968. To win their second Super Bowl in a row.

The Packers beat the Kansas City Chiefs 35-10 in Super Bowl 1 on 1/15/1967.

Members online