Linebacker shuffle

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I know cheesey...Culpepper is a load. But the 4 limbed bearhug was ****. Smack the f@cker , at least...force a fumble or poor throw...or get the sack. His lack of physical play showed on that play, among others.

Pyle...I think the qualifier most are putting forward is "if Hodge continues to improve and WARRANTS the start". This is not a gimme. It must be earned.

Look, we are pursuing the Patriots/Steelers model. There is going to be continued turnover with all but a few players. My guess is the same as others....Hodge was brought in to replace Barnett when Barnett gets that ridiculous offer that he cannot refuse....and it will not come frrom the Packers.

Like it or not...this is the winning model for the current NFL. We better get used to losing fan favorites when they become too expensive.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i like the theory that this is probably barnetts last year, and hodge is our MLB of the future.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a fan of losing a player of Barnett's caliber, but I understand the cyclic nature of the roster in today's game.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, with the way the city has been messing with him and his nightclub...that doesnt help

and barnett will want a huge payday this year, and TT is a cheap bastard...and should be this time, since Hodge is right there. If we had no MLB option after barnett, id say throw a breifcase of money at him, but in 2007 it will be: Hawk\Hodge\Popping(Taylor,or Manning, or someone else)

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Barnett will be #1 till he gets sick of Green Bay or Green Bay gets sick of him

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will get sick of him when his contract demands make him expendable...especially with a solid talent behind him.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah that sounds about right....its sad the NFL has turned into more of a business then a game

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good and fun things become un-good and un-fun with the increasing influence of money. Sadly, I believe there will be a day in my life where I just tune out all pro sports because it will have all become rotten.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
You solve this problem by negotiating with Barnett now and giving him a good contract that will make him want to stay and let him know that his willingness to change positions is part of why he gets the deal.

Yep if Barnett gets a nice deal. Like being one of the highest paid players on the team. I think he'd be all for moving to SAM.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like best about this whole thing is that we have a player who is threatening to crash his way into the starting lineup. This is a stark contrast to last season, when so many players started by default (Whitticker, Klemm, Carroll, Robert Thomas, and you could probably throw Roman into that bunch as well).

Regardless of how it all shakes out, it's good for the Packers. I do agree with those who project Taylor at SAM this year, with Hodge backing up Barnett (and smacking people around on special teams) and moving into the starting MLB role next year if Barnett's price is too high. But there's nothing wrong with having Hodge compete for the SAM position. If he's good enough at it, put him in there.

I still haven't heard a real explanation for why he is supposedly incapable of playing SAM. Everyone just says something like, "He's naturally suited to play MLB." WHY? WHY? Maybe it's because he lacks coverage skills, but I remember a guy named Wayne Simmons who played SAM and who used to maul tight ends at the line of scrimmage. That worked out just fine for the Packers.

Edit: I just read an article in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that explains that Hodge has struggled in pass coverage and that he may not be able to sustain his speed long enough to run long distances in pursuit on stretch plays, as an outside linebacker often has to do. So, okay, that makes sense. But Bob Sanders says in the article that they would like to try him at the SAM position, and who knows, maybe he'll be better over there than he is in the middle. It's certainly worth a try.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of hard hits doesn't make a strong linebacker. I think Barnett is a great LB, and by the way, Urlacher also played safety at college. I also think people are underestimating how much Taylor will help us.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
A couple of hard hits doesn't make a strong linebacker. I think Barnett is a great LB, and by the way, Urlacher also played safety at college. I also think people are underestimating how much Taylor will help us.

Great Point Billv. Taylor is a great hard working guy that is a perfect fit for the SAM. With guys like Hawk and Barnett you need a solid SAM. SAM's don't get the hype but without them being solid the MIKE and WILL are strapped.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:

Hodge didn't just have a couple of hard hits in the scrimmage. He had something like nine tackles, which is three times the number as A.J. Hawk. It was a standout performance. Obviously we need to wait and see how he progresses during the exhibition season, but the excitement about Hodge is legitimate.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is every reason to be excited about Hodge. He is a hard hitting instinctive LB who we picked up in the 3rd round.

He is progressing very nicely, but don't forget their were some major blunders that he has made in addition to the big hits. He is still making mistakes in coverage and in pursuit angles that the coaching staff has continuely pointed out.

It is too early to be annointing Hodge an NFL starter. The coaching staff is still maintaining its starting lineup is Hawk, Barnett, Taylor. Until someone beats one of those three out that will remain the starting LB corp. They want to see Hodge get down the MLB postition before heaping too much information on him by asking him to quickly digest the SAM postition at the same time. A couple of days ago they did let him lineup out there for a few snaps.

By the way Poppinga is not exactly going to lay down and give way to Hodge or Taylor without a fight.

It is a nice problem to have -- talented young LBs fighting for playing time.

However, any objective analysis of the LB corp would assess Barnett as their (the Packers) best LB -- head and shoulders above the rest of the contenders.

Notice that his LB coach Moss has nothing but praise for Barnett who has asserted leadership and taken responsibility for teaching the young LB the tricks of the trade:

"I think his best ball is still ahead of him. He's had a great attitude. We can coach him hard. He tries to get it done every single practice."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I can hardly believe that I am quoting Havel again, but I thought he said it well when he wrote:

RAVE: I admire Nick Barnett for being honest when asked the umpteenth time about possibly moving from middle linebacker to outside linebacker. It is a legitimate question, but that doesn't mean Barnett has to like it.

The former first-round pick and fourth-year pro is the starting middle linebacker until further notice. Rookie Abdul Hodge has been impressive, but let's see how he fares in a preseason game before anointing him a surefire starter.

I also admired Barnett for sticking up for veteran strong-side linebacker Ben Taylor. It is a long season. Just because a rookie flashes early doesn't mean he is going to be all that. Hodge is an exciting and promising young player, but Taylor deserves credit for playing with the big boys going on five seasons now.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
There is every reason to be excited about Hodge. He is a hard hitting instinctive LB who we picked up in the 3rd round.

He is progressing very nicely, but don't forget their were some major blunders that he has made in addition to the big hits. He is still making mistakes in coverage and in pursuit angles that the coaching staff has continuely pointed out.

It is too early to be annointing Hodge an NFL starter. The coaching staff is still maintaining its starting lineup is Hawk, Barnett, Taylor. Until someone beats one of those three out that will remain the starting LB corp. They want to see Hodge get down the MLB postition before heaping too much information on him by asking him to quickly digest the SAM postition at the same time. A couple of days ago they did let him lineup out there for a few snaps.

By the way Poppinga is not exactly going to lay down and give way to Hodge or Taylor without a fight.

It is a nice problem to have -- talented young LBs fighting for playing time.

However, any objective analysis of the LB corp would assess Barnett as their (the Packers) best LB -- head and shoulders above the rest of the contenders.

Notice that his LB coach Moss has nothing but praise for Barnett who has asserted leadership and taken responsibility for teaching the young LB the tricks of the trade:

"I think his best ball is still ahead of him. He's had a great attitude. We can coach him hard. He tries to get it done every single practice."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I can hardly believe that I am quoting Havel again, but I thought he said it well when he wrote:

RAVE: I admire Nick Barnett for being honest when asked the umpteenth time about possibly moving from middle linebacker to outside linebacker. It is a legitimate question, but that doesn't mean Barnett has to like it.

The former first-round pick and fourth-year pro is the starting middle linebacker until further notice. Rookie Abdul Hodge has been impressive, but let's see how he fares in a preseason game before anointing him a surefire starter.

I also admired Barnett for sticking up for veteran strong-side linebacker Ben Taylor. It is a long season. Just because a rookie flashes early doesn't mean he is going to be all that. Hodge is an exciting and promising young player, but Taylor deserves credit for playing with the big boys going on five seasons now.

Exactly Bruce. Great post

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah good stuff.

Hodge is impressive, I dont think many expected to hear his name almost daily, and get so much hype about STARTING.

with that said, preseason game #1 is 3 days away. Let the position battles begin!

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cyoung said:
I like all of our line Backers but for now I think it will remain

Taylor/Barnett/Hawk
Manning/Hodge/Poppinga

Yea, I agree with you. Lets see how the pre-season goes. If hodge can carry over the good performances in TC into the pre-season NFL games then perhaps his time table moves up.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hodge will earn a starting job at some point this season.

As far as Barnett is concerned, I think he should be more worried about what is best for the team and not what a possible move to SAM would do for his "earning potential."

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge saw some time at SAM too, but considering it was the first preseason game. I don't read too much into it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts