Leveon bell.....yes it no

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same as with Mack, Bell is an incredible talent and would be a great addition to this team but at what cost? IMO probably too much.

H

HardRightEdge

Over 400 touches last season. That's a big, fat red flag on top of 5 years of high mileage. You'd need to be convinced that he's a rare freak of nature while having no way to prove it.

Steelers know him best and they were not willing to give him the big fat extension he wants. Why would you?

The risk/reward on a very, very expensive high mileage 6th. year running back is highly unfavorable.

And if anybody's thinking about throwing the Steelers some crumbs for Bell as a one year rent-a-player, that takes the cap space close to zero. I don't think this is the year to go all in with the future be damned. And there's the obvious consideration that if he was not going to play for Pittsburgh under his franchise tag what makes you think he's going to play for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same as with Mack, Bell is an incredible talent and would be a great addition to this team but at what cost? IMO probably too much.

I was against Mack due to the cost...... Doing it for a RB?????? Hell No

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They saying a 3rd rounder at least.. according to aditti kucamunga chick lol from nfl network... problem is he can’t sign a new deal til the end of the year.. so if he ain’t playing for the Steelers til week 11-12 he certainly won’t play for someone else til then.. he don’t wanna get hurt so I think the situation is quite complicated and idk if we have the cap space.. but If it was simple I say absolutely!! I’m still pissed for not getting randy moss and Marshawn Lynch for scrub 4th and 5th rounders.. smfh

H

HardRightEdge

They saying a 3rd rounder at least.. according to aditti kucamunga chick lol from nfl network... problem is he can’t sign a new deal til the end of the year.. so if he ain’t playing for the Steelers til week 11-12 he certainly won’t play for someone else til then.. he don’t wanna get hurt so I think the situation is quite complicated and idk if we have the cap space.. but If it was simple I say absolutely!! I’m still pissed for not getting randy moss and Marshawn Lynch for scrub 4th and 5th rounders.. smfh
The cap space is straight forward.

The Packers current cap space is $12,079,681.

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

Bell's cap cost this week for the balance of 2018 would be $11,977,412. Since you'd be picking him up for 14 weeks, that amount is 14/17 of his tag cap number.

https://overthecap.com/player/leveon-bell/2258/

After taking on Bell, once Wilkerson goes on IR and a replacement has to be paid, the Packers would be over the cap. That means they'd have to cut a player and replace him with a sufficiently cheaper one to make up the difference. That cut can't be a vested veteran, though, because his salary was guaranteed on opening day. And if anybody else goes on IR that process might have to be repeated depending on how much savings was gained with the first cut. Another IR after that? Rinse and repeat.

Of course, for every week you wait Bell's cap cost goes down another $856,000. ;)

The top 51 cap committments for 2019 sits at about $150 mil currently with Matthews, Cobb, Clinton-Dix, Wilkerson, et. al. off the books.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers

There's a lot of work to be done this coming offseason to replace those players, preferably upgrade from them, while having to deal with other expensive problems such as the developing issue at RT. Clark extension anyone? Like Adams after his 3rd. season?

I think you'd probably want to keep as much of that $12 mil as possible for next offseason unless you believe Bell wins this team a Super Bowl. That's a long shot.

You'd have to hope Bell wasn't burned out by those 400 touches last season. It's a very common occurrance, almost clockwork, that elite running backs who hit the 350+ touch mark have a down year the following season. Few ever regain their peak form after hitting such a high water mark. Of course there's the issue of whether he would report. Or if he reported how much his heart would be in it.

Trading for Bell would not be a good idea. There are no shortcuts. You stack drafts and make sound FA acquisitions, preferably 2nd. contract guys with a runway in front of them. That ain't easy and it ain't cheap.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap space is straight forward.

The Packers current cap space is $12,079,681.

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

Bell's cap cost this week for the balance of 2018 would be $11,977,412. Since you'd be picking him up for 14 weeks, that amount is 14/17 of his tag cap number.

https://overthecap.com/player/leveon-bell/2258/

After taking on Bell, once Wilkerson goes on IR and a replacement has to be paid, the Packers would be over the cap. That means they'd have to cut a player and replace him with a sufficiently cheaper one to make up the difference. That cut can't be a vested veteran, though, because his salary was guaranteed on opening day. And if anybody else goes on IR that process might have to be repeated depending on how much savings was gained with the first cut. Another IR after that? Rinse and repeat.

Of course, for every week you wait Bell's cap cost goes down another $856,000 so long as he doesn't report. ;)

The top 51 cap committments for 2019 sits at about $150 mil currently with Matthews, Cobb, Clinton-Dix, Wilkerson, et. al. off the books.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers

There's a lot of work to be done this coming offseason to replace those players, preferably upgrade from them, while having to deal with other expensive problems such as the developing issue at RT. Clark extension anyone? Like Adams after his 3rd. season?

I think you'd probably want to keep as much of that $12 mil as possible for next offseason unless you believe Bell wins this tea a Super Bowl. That's a long shot.

You'd have to hope Bell wasn't burned out by those 400 touches last season. It's a very common occurrance, almost clockwork, that elite running backs who hit the 350+ touch mark have a down year the following season. Few ever regain their peak form after hitting a high water mark. Of course there's the issue of whether he would report. Or if he reported how much his heart would be in it.

Trading for Bell would not be a good idea. There are no shortcuts. You stack drafts and make sound FA acquisitions, preferably 2nd. contract guys with a runway in front of them. That ain't easy and it ain't cheap.
That was good much appreciated you taking the time

H

HardRightEdge

Oh, by the way, had the Packers traded for Mack and signed him to the same deal as Chicago, that would have put the team about $1.7 mil over the cap for 2018.

More problematically, his cap number for 2019 goes up to $22.3 mil. That would have put the Packers top 51 cap commitments for 2019 at about $172 mil with no Cobb, Matthews, C-D, Wilkerson, Montgomery or Ryan or their replacements. You start looking like Oakland with a franchise QB, a DPOY and a lot of other problems with little cap to fix them and draft picks traded away in the bargain.

And now we're at the point where the value of edge rushers should be steeply discounted; they are "roughing the passer" penalties waiting to happen.

This is why I say the Packers are in a place where they need to stack a couple of good drafts, get a critical mass of good-to-impact players over a couple of years working on cheap rookie deals which provides the cap space to supplement with free agents who are more than one year rent-a-players.

There was a clear window of opportunity in the 2014-2016 period, but the team couldn't close the deal. ******** the pooch in Seattle, losing Nelson to the ACL, losing Shields, then the window started to close. Age, injuries, FA departures have been accumulating without a lot of refreshing.

H

HardRightEdge

The 9 no’s were set to the tune of a classical piece that I don’t remember the name of.
Oh, oh, I know that song! "Hells Bells" by AC/DC. :tup:

8 "no's" would be Beethoven's 5th.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Unlike Mack, however, he plays a low value position and one where the Packers have suitable options. There’s also a good case that the Steelers have ground him down and he’s already peaked. I just don’t like it from any angle.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
No. Rather spend the money for someone to get for the defense.

TEXPAC2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see how quickly someone suggests we sign him since Aaron is out…..

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched a bit of him this season. Nothing stood out. I'm fine with who we have and the team chemistry as is.

Members online

Latest posts