Let's talk about our receivers...

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So everyone seems to be in agreement that come the 23rd pick this year, we're probably leaning towards something like an O-lineman, or a corner, maybe a safety. I couldn't agree more with going in that direction, we need help in those areas for sure.

However, after having a conversation with my uncle over the weekend (my uncle being the longest running/biggest packer fan I know, and I trust his opinion more than just about anyone), he seems concerned with the future of our receiving corps. We talked about what a stud Jennings is, but just that he is constantly getting doubled up on because of it, which leaves Driver getting so many throws to him. But its obvious that Driver is getting older, he just can't get down field like he used to. He can still make a move and get down there, but he just doesn't have the speed that he used to. And it hurts me to say that, because of how much I love Driver. After our 1 and 2 guys, we have Jones and Jordy. We have seen some flashes of brilliance from both of them, but not necessarily anything consistent enough to show us one of them can step us at the number 2 guy just yet. I expressed my opinion to me uncle, that I like both guys a lot and think they both have potential to step up, especially Jordy. I really do think Jordy can grow into something great. My uncle agreed that he would like to see some more of Jordy.

But of course then we both agreed on the gleaming outstanding individual from our corps that gives us so much hope, Jermichael Finley. With Finley, as we have seen this last season, so many options are opened up with our offense. Rodgers should be able to continue to use him, hopefully with increasing positive affect.

So anyway, what is everyone else's take on the future of our receiving corps?

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love our WR's I would not take one in the 1st rd unless it was Arrelious Benn from Illinois or Dez Bryant from Oklahoma State. Maybe in like 2 or 3 years we will need one in the 1st rd but right now I believe we are fine.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Pat4DPack, we're pretty much set at WR for now. We don't necessarily need to get a WR from this draft, next year's WR draft class isn't so bad either. And like you said if there is a WR need, it's for a N0. 2 WR. A no. 2 wideout shouldn't warrant a 1st round draft pick.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're fine right now, however, I am concerned with what happens if Jennings goes down. He is our only true deep threat, Driver has lost his step, Nelson is a poss. receiver as well as Jones. Finley will cause defenses to 'pick their poison' if they stay healthy, but next year I would agree that we need to start to think about the future, especially when WR's take 2-3 years to be productive.

OP
OP
YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my bad, the way I opened this thread was misleading. I'm not suggesting receivers need to be our priority this draft, or even a concern. I'm more wondering what everyone is thinking about the future of our receivers, who's gonna take over for DD, etc.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my bad, the way I opened this thread was misleading. I'm not suggesting receivers need to be our priority this draft, or even a concern. I'm more wondering what everyone is thinking about the future of our receivers, who's gonna take over for DD, etc.

I think Jennings, Jones and Nelson will be very good once Driver is gone. Plus 1 in the draft after he leaves.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rate these guys in this order

Jennings
Driver
Jones
Nelson

Swain, Williams, and Dillon are there for depth and in my opinion........will never be more than backups. I would not be suprised to see TT pick a receiver in the 5th or 6th round though. I am not saying we need one..........but with TT ya never know.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think we're set for the foreseeable future. Jennings will be 27 this season. Jones ,26. Nelson 25, and Finley just 23! This excluding Driver.

You got in there an elite receiver (Jennings), an up-and-coming star, whose an absolute mismatch (Finley) and two competent young guys. One that is a tough blocker and YAC (Nelson), and one with excelent hips and hands (Jones).

When you think about how Finley will be used, a lot of times lined up wide, we already have the heir to Driver on our team in Finley, and we have a great mix of receivers.

Everybody is slated to improve. This together with Aaron Rodgers (27) and Grant (28 ), makes for the best offense in the league for years to come. We need some guys to block for them, though. But as far as the commander and the weapons, we're set.

We could use a speed back, but it's not a need by any means. When the line settled (Tauscher and Clifton came back), Grant had a 4.8 avg, rushed for 649 yards and 7 TDs in 8 games, despite facing the Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys and Ravens, all top 6 rushing D's in the league.

As far as weapons go, a stud receiver and a speed back could be luxuries, but aren't need by any means, and IMHO won't be for quite some time...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I said this last week but if TT passed on Crabtree his highest rated player on the whole board last year then there is no reason to think he has his mind set on grabbing another high rated WR.

I like where we are with the receivers and I think we will be set for the next two years. I really dont think we will know what we have with Nelson and Jones until Driver either moves down in the lineup or finishes his career. Swain I have no idea about. There isnt enough balls to go around right now as it is with Finely, Jennings, and Driver.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I said this last week but if TT passed on Crabtree his highest rated player on the whole board last year then there is no reason to think he has his mind set on grabbing another high rated WR.

I like where we are with the receivers and I think we will be set for the next two years. I really dont think we will know what we have with Nelson and Jones until Driver either moves down in the lineup or finishes his career. Swain I have no idea about. There isnt enough balls to go around right now as it is with Finely, Jennings, and Driver.

Even if the 5 top rated players in last years draft were all WRs and RBs and they were all available at our pick we still would have picked Defensive players to fit our new 3-4 system and to make our new high profile Defensive coordinator happy. With the way Driver looked in the second half of last season and Jennings getting double teamed most of the time I sure don't think we can rely on Driver much longer at all.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if the 5 top rated players in last years draft were all WRs and RBs and they were all available at our pick we still would have picked Defensive players to fit our new 3-4 system and to make our new high profile Defensive coordinator happy. With the way Driver looked in the second half of last season and Jennings getting double teamed most of the time I sure don't think we can rely on Driver much longer at all.

Alot of that had to do with forcing the ball to Finely.

When you draft a WR you must plan on at least two seasons before he will have an impact. I think not drafting Crabtree was a mistake though.

Is there a WR we should consider taking high in anyones opinion? Bryant wont be available most likely.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a WR we should consider taking high in anyones opinion? Bryant wont be available most likely.

I like what I'm reading about Brandon Lafell, but he probably won't be there in round 2 for us.... and thats way to early to address this issue in this draft. Maybe...Jordan Shipley even though his lack of speed scares me, and he'll probably end up like another Nelson, Jones. More of a possession reciever.

NotSoSpecialTeams

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, like the majority I don't think our receiving corps is in that much danger even with Driver getting up there. He can still make plays as he showed last year and with J-Fin now having emerged as a big-time target, we certainly have one of the best perimeter groups in the league. The hope is that one of Jordy or Jones can be Driver's long-term successor. I don't think we need to spend a draft pick on a wideout this year unless we've filled the other more needy areas. However, Dexter McCluster offers some intrigue being able to play two positions and would definitely be worth a look.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have 2 or 3 seasons to make plans... like everyone has said, no need in the immediate future. I think if James Jones gets the chance to show off, people will be pleasantly surprised. Hes a hard worker. Finley will and should stay a TE.... hes a little on the bigger and slower side, perfect for a TE and I think he proved that last season.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of that had to do with forcing the ball to Finely.

When you draft a WR you must plan on at least two seasons before he will have an impact. I think not drafting Crabtree was a mistake though.

Mardy Gilyard, but not in the first.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvqmQwTYP3Q"]YouTube- WR Mardy Gilyard Highlights/Lowlights 2009 Cincinnati[/ame]

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im very curious to know how close the packers were to drafting Crabtree. Ted drinks at a bar I go to sometimes but I doubt he would open up much even after I buy him a few. I do know a coach that said last season that Clay was the highest LB they had and that they wanted to move down and take him. He doesnt work with the offense but Im sure he would be able to tell me.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a nice surprise if TT found a hidden gem in Charles Dillon. Otherwise If you all think we can wait until 2012, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the rule change in the uncapped year FA should be full of quality WRs at that point.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a nice surprise if TT found a hidden gem in Charles Dillon. Otherwise If you all think we can wait until 2012, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the rule change in the uncapped year FA should be full of quality WRs at that point.

The big names in the 2012 free agent WR list are Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Ocho Cinco, Santana Moss, Robert Meachum, Anthony Gonzalez, Fitzgerald, Dwayne Bowe, and Marques Colston.

Now will they all make FA? No, of course not. But can you find a #2, or #3 WR? sure

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my Auburn boys to watch in 2010 is Darvin Adams... 6'3 big body. I would keep an eye on him as a potential guy to snag next year. Obviously that is so far off, but just throwing a name out there.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im very curious to know how close the packers were to drafting Crabtree. Ted drinks at a bar I go to sometimes but I doubt he would open up much even after I buy him a few. I do know a coach that said last season that Clay was the highest LB they had and that they wanted to move down and take him. He doesnt work with the offense but Im sure he would be able to tell me.
That's a big fat lie. Everybody knows that TT lurks in his lair drinking goat blood...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a big fat lie. Everybody knows that TT lurks in his lair drinking goat blood...

I thought it was kitten blood...

I have yet to see him bring home a lady, but to be fair I am not there enough to be a fair judge of his womanizing skills.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was kitten blood...

I have yet to see him bring home a lady, but to be fair I am not there enough to be a fair judge of his womanizing skills.
Well, some say he's gay, so... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But, seriously, what time does he go? What do he drinks? What does he do when he's at this bar? I'm curious. He's reportedly a reserved guy, that doesn't appear much, so I'd like to know a little bit better our wacky/creepy GM...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, some say he's gay, so... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But, seriously, what time does he go? What do he drinks? What does he do when he's at this bar? I'm curious. He's reportedly a reserved guy, that doesn't appear much, so I'd like to know a little bit better our wacky/creepy GM...

I dont know if he is gay or not. It wouldnt bother me one way or another. I am almost positive he has never been married or has any kids.

I have seen him on weekends and about 8pm a couple of times during the week. And I have seen him drinking a beer, two at the most. No idea what kind. He comes in with a friend, and I guess sometimes by himself and sits in the corner area of the bar. Its a restaurant too so he eats (raw meat, they kill the kitten in front of him). According to the manager he is hit or miss as far as talking to random people at the bar. I think if you asked him the right questions or topics you would see an engaged conversation out of him. I almost bought a game worn ted thompson jersey awhile back from his days in Houston and wish I would have just so I could give it to him, and talk to him about his playing career. Thats something I could tell the grandkids about, the day TT opened up!

At a packer event I tried to talk to him about the Rutgers CB but he didnt even respond. Maybe its a sign!! lol who knows with ted.

If you come back to the GB area I will tell you where you can find him, and you can buy him a beer.

Staff online

Members online