Let's grade the players ourselves

Reaction score
My main problem and reason I feel they are reaches is because I felt there were better O Line players on the board with those later round picks.

Fair enough, perhaps they were better overall but not a good fit for the ZBS?

Sittons off-field problems may be a concern, but he is only 21. It was hopefully a case of immaturity and stupid decision making that all of us have been a part of when we were younger.

Giacomini's "character issues" seem to stem from just one incident where he flipped off fans during pre-game warm-ups. Based on everything that has been said about Giacomini, such an incident seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Ted said he loves football, and the coaching staff at his college had nothing but good things to say about him, even going as far as saying he had the ideal character that you want to see from individuals.

It'll be interesting to see the jumps that Barber and Moll make. The more competition, the better.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
My main problem and reason I feel they are reaches is because I felt there were better O Line players on the board with those later round picks.

Fair enough, perhaps they were better overall but not a good fit for the ZBS?

Sittons off-field problems may be a concern, but he is only 21. It was hopefully a case of immaturity and stupid decision making that all of us have been a part of when we were younger.

Giacomini's "character issues" seem to stem from just one incident where he flipped off fans during pre-game warm-ups. Based on everything that has been said about Giacomini, such an incident seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Ted said he loves football, and the coaching staff at his college had nothing but good things to say about him, even going as far as saying he had the ideal character that you want to see from individuals.

It'll be interesting to see the jumps that Barber and Moll make. The more competition, the better.

I really get tired of hearing that. What is so hard about the Zone Blocking Scheme anyways? The only difference is you block in an area rather than pick a man and go. I would think it would be easy to find players for it. Its not like its anything new around here.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I really get tired of hearing that. What is so hard about the Zone Blocking Scheme anyways? The only difference is you block in an area rather than pick a man and go. I would think it would be easy to find players for it. Its not like its anything new around here.

Ahhh there is a huge difference in technique.. in driving blocking scheme you want to force a guy out of a hole, thus your main objective is to knock his a@@ backwards. In a true zone scheme, you really want to shield the defender more so and allow the natural hole to form. By keeping him more in place, it lessens the flow of the linebackers because if you knock the orginal defender out of the hole, it not only opens it for the back but for the next layer of the defense to fill the hole.

In a zone, the back decides where the hole forms, he makes the read and makes that cut. That is why you keep hearing the "one cut and go" backs that we keep looking for.

Back to the olineman requirement, it takes alot better feet to pull this s scheme off and IMO a lot better technically sound lineman to play in the scheme. Since you are not firing out trying to push him out of the hole, your footwork and technique are vital, whereas a drive blocker can live on bull strenght alone and get away with less nimble feet and maybe less leverage.

When the ZS hits, it looks like a thing of beauty, but to me it requires a smarter breed of player to pull it off and to be honest better technique players on the line.. than the old school big bruising lineman.

One other note.. zone in reality should lead to better pass blockers as the techniques for both are more similar than a drive blocking system.

But don't watch Green Bay's zone scheme.. it is a hybrid of zone and drive blocking.. IMO.

Anyway.. that was how I was taugh, and you are right.. it isn't something really new.. just taken to a new level and named something else. Kind of like the West coast offense.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

Ahhh there is a huge difference in technique.. in driving blocking scheme you want to force a guy out of a hole, thus your main objective is to knock his a@@ backwards. In a true zone scheme, you really want to shield the defender more so and allow the natural hole to form. By keeping him more in place, it lessens the flow of the linebackers because if you knock the orginal defender out of the hole, it not only opens it for the back but for the next layer of the defense to fill the hole.

In a zone, the back decides where the hole forms, he makes the read and makes that cut. That is why you keep hearing the "one cut and go" backs that we keep looking for.

Back to the olineman requirement, it takes alot better feet to pull this s scheme off and IMO a lot better technically sound lineman to play in the scheme. Since you are not firing out trying to push him out of the hole, your footwork and technique are vital, whereas a drive blocker can live on bull strenght alone and get away with less nimble feet and maybe less leverage.

When the ZS hits, it looks like a thing of beauty, but to me it requires a smarter breed of player to pull it off and to be honest better technique players on the line.. than the old school big bruising lineman.

One other note.. zone in reality should lead to better pass blockers as the techniques for both are more similar than a drive blocking system.

But don't watch Green Bay's zone scheme.. it is a hybrid of zone and drive blocking.. IMO.

Anyway.. that was how I was taugh, and you are right.. it isn't something really new.. just taken to a new level and named something else. Kind of like the West coast offense.

Thanks Pack.
Learned something from that. I honestly don't know enough about what ZBS truly is. What I learned was from wikipedia, which is a nice read but doesn't explain the Packer system.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good example, but I think we are in an era where many of these kids not all but many are exposed to these sort of schemes. Lots of clubs use the Zone read as part of their offenses.

Members online

Latest posts