LeBron to the Lakers

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the big news the past couple of days is that LeBron has signed with the Lakers. This is probably going to cause me some mixed emotions in the years to come.

First off, I like LeBron James.
Secondly, I have always disliked the Lakers. I'm from Indiana, my brother went to ISU, so I naturally liked Larry Bird and the Celtics, and the Lakers were their biggest rival (who usually got the best of them).

Third, I feel bad for Cleveland. Their hometown hero dumped them again. As a fan of another smaller market team (the Packers), I can't help but commiserate with them a bit.

Not much else to say here, other than it should be interesting to see what happens from here. LA probably needs to add at least another piece to get by the Warriors.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
So the big news the past couple of days is that LeBron has signed with the Lakers. This is probably going to cause me some mixed emotions in the years to come.

First off, I like LeBron James.
Secondly, I have always disliked the Lakers. I'm from Indiana, my brother went to ISU, so I naturally liked Larry Bird and the Celtics, and the Lakers were their biggest rival (who usually got the best of them).

Third, I feel bad for Cleveland. Their hometown hero dumped them again. As a fan of another smaller market team (the Packers), I can't help but commiserate with them a bit.

Not much else to say here, other than it should be interesting to see what happens from here. LA probably needs to add at least another piece to get by the Warriors.

I saw a debate on another forum regarding who was better, LeBron or Jordan. You could almost see a distinct age difference in the responses. A lot of the young people thought LeBron was superior. I just had to laugh. Jordan was miraculous.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a debate on another forum regarding who was better, LeBron or Jordan. You could almost see a distinct age difference in the responses. A lot of the young people thought LeBron was superior. I just had to laugh. Jordan was miraculous.
I'm an older guy, but I have a long history of hating teams from Chicago, the Bulls included. So I can see both sides of the argument.
I don't like comparing players from different eras. And I don't like giving the nod to a certain athlete because of team accomplishments (like championships).
But yeah, Jordan and LeBron, they're both pretty good!

I keep hearing media people saying the Lakers are the Yankees of the NBA, the premiere team in the NBA. I'm a little surprised to hear that, considering Boston owns one more championship than them (17-16), and they had only just moved to LA from Minneapolis the year that I was born. Obviously there's a bigger media presence in LA. I guess it's like some consider Dallas the biggest NFL team because of money, or Pittsburgh because they have the most Super Bowl championships. I always think of Green Bay though, with their 13 NFL championships.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm an older guy, but I have a long history of hating teams from Chicago, the Bulls included. So I can see both sides of the argument.
I don't like comparing players from different eras. And I don't like giving the nod to a certain athlete because of team accomplishments (like championships).
But yeah, Jordan and LeBron, they're both pretty good!

I keep hearing media people saying the Lakers are the Yankees of the NBA, the premiere team in the NBA. I'm a little surprised to hear that, considering Boston owns one more championship than them (17-16), and they had only just moved to LA from Minneapolis the year that I was born. Obviously there's a bigger media presence in LA. I guess it's like some consider Dallas the biggest NFL team because of money, or Pittsburgh because they have the most Super Bowl championships. I always think of Green Bay though, with their 13 NFL championships.

Yeah, but with Jordan, there was the x factor. I remember watching that championship game when he was so sick with the flu that he had trouble standing up, they had to keep giving him fluids and he won the game with a fade away jumper. That guy literally carried the team. So his accomplishments are largely his accomplishments even though he had a supporting cast.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but with Jordan, there was the x factor. I remember watching that championship game when he was so sick with the flu that he had trouble standing up, they had to keep giving him fluids and he won the game with a fade away jumper. That guy literally carried the team. So his accomplishments are largely his accomplishments even though he had a supporting cast.
I remember that game also. But Jordan didn't start winning championships until they put the right team around him. Before that he was simply known as the best player in the league. You need to have a team around you, ask Aaron Rodgers. Even though obviously individuals count more in basketball (five vs. 22).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when I was younger and the argument was, who was better, Dr. J or MJ. That was along generational lines as well. I'm not too BB inclined, but I have to believe when the dust settles, Le Bron will be the GOAT.

As far as him going to the Lakers, the only satisfaction I can derive, is the Lakers used to be in Minneapolis. Minnesota idiots gave them up and all those championships. Behahahaha.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as him going to the Lakers, the only satisfaction I can derive, is the Lakers used to be in Minneapolis. Minnesota idiots gave them up and all those championships. Behahahaha.
The hate is strong in this thread...

Members online

Latest posts