Lane Taylor agrees to restructure contract

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
IF their plan is to start Taylor, I in ZERO way see them asking him to take a pay cut....
Agreed. What this really does, is gives the Packers all kinds of options. If the Packers decide to keep him, it's proven veteran depth at a great number. But also, it makes orchestrating a potential trade a heck of a lot easier as well if there's something out there Gutekunst likes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. What this really does, is gives the Packers all kinds of options. If the Packers decide to keep him, it's proven veteran depth at a great number. But also, it makes orchestrating a potential trade a heck of a lot easier as well if there's something out there Gutekunst likes.

100%, some team with a cheap starting caliber guard isn't something you find every year in the trade market. I still think if I'm Linsley I'm nervous more and more by the day.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
100%, some team with a cheap starting caliber guard isn't something you find every year in the trade market. I still think if I'm Linsley I'm nervous more and more by the day.
Absolutely. It would be interesting to know whether or not the Packers are trying to negotiate a restructure for him, or perhaps they have decided that they'll just outright cut him as we get into whatever version of camp there will be.

Regardless, the Packers have all kinds of options to improving the team even more at this point. We'll see what Gute has up his sleeve. Maybe nothing happens, but I would like to see Gute get aggressive and add some potential veteran difference makers.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They say not ready because he was a rookie. No other reason and obviously untrue. Happens a lot I think. No real thought went into it. Or just bad judges of play. Bugs me.

Jenkins is very talented, but he made some obvious mistakes last year with regard to penalties that experience should help clean up.

The three rookie offensive lineman drafted this year are likely far less talented than Jenkins, which is why they were still available in the sixth round - That, coupled with a truncated preseason makes it unlikely any of them will be ready for prime time this season....Signing an experienced veteran on the relative cheap is a solid move by Gute, IMHO.

Odd man out in all this may be Cole Madison, unless he makes a jump from last season.

Reaction score
It’ll be telling to actively watch which specific player we insert at RT beyond Wagner in practice and preseason. I’m very curious who they slide behind Wagner and that’s certainly another piece of the puzzle left unanswered.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’ll be telling to actively watch which specific player we insert at RT beyond Wagner in practice and preseason. I’m very curious who they slide behind Wagner and that’s certainly another piece of the puzzle left unanswered.

I don't suspect they'll declare Turner a RT, but he could very well be in that battle. I think it will be Wagner/Light/Nijman/Runyon to start

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins is very talented, but he made some obvious mistakes last year with regard to penalties that experience should help clean up.

The three rookie offensive lineman drafted this year are likely far less talented than Jenkins, which is why they were still available in the sixth round - That, coupled with a truncated preseason makes it unlikely any of them will be ready for prime time this season....Signing an experienced veteran on the relative cheap is a solid move by Gute, IMHO.

Odd man out in all this may be Cole Madison, unless he makes a jump from last season.
I agree with you on the 6th round thing but I am going to keep my eye on the center from Oregon??. I don't know anything about him but would love him to be player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you on the 6th round thing but I am going to keep my eye on the center from Oregon??. I don't know anything about him but would love him to be player.

Hanson IS very consistent health wise and went over 2,000 snaps without a sack according to some others say he gave up a couple his entire starting career at Oregon. I was high on the kid for a late Day 2 pick even. I like him to be our heir of the future at Center if Patrick doesn't work out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Veldheer...I suspect if Wagner goes down or the organization strongly feels we have NO one behind Wagner, Jared's phone may get a jingle. He has not signed with anyone which is mildly suprising.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jake Hanson started 49 games for a pretty good Oregon Ducks team, so he does have some valuable college experience and may have a future in the NFL. Still, there is a learning curve at the next level, so anything Green Bay might get from him this year would be house money.

Reaction score
Speaking of Veldheer...I suspect if Wagner goes down or the organization strongly feels we have NO one behind Wagner, Jared's phone may get a jingle. He has not signed with anyone which is mildly suprising.
I was also surprised they didn’t snatch him for insurance on a small 1 year deal somewhere early on.
1 Veldheer $3 mil +1Wagner $5.5M>1Bulaga $10 mil

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not actually. He is someone that is very close to the end. He was done in fact. He retired before the season started with the Pats and then after healing some more he came back. He filled in admirably, for us when pressed into action, but it was limited action.

He was on IR in '17, missed the end of the season in 18' and retired the beginning of '19 because of lingering injury and not thinking his body was up for it. He's not going to be any long term plan for anybody at this point. He's going to be that guy that when your plan fails and your back up is not ready and the season is now guy that teams give a call to.

Teams aren't in any hurry to put him thru a training camp or have him signed in time because at this point, that's just taking the few remaining miles off his body he has left. They know what he is, and what he can do. They don't want to take away from their young guys development and they all know the odds are very much against him being a season long starter at this point to.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not actually. He is someone that is very close to the end. He was done in fact. He retired before the season started with the Pats and then after healing some more he came back. He filled in admirably, for us when pressed into action, but it was limited action.

He was on IR in '17, missed the end of the season in 18' and retired the beginning of '19 because of lingering injury and not thinking his body was up for it. He's not going to be any long term plan for anybody at this point. He's going to be that guy that when your plan fails and your back up is not ready and the season is now guy that teams give a call to.

Teams aren't in any hurry to put him thru a training camp or have him signed in time because at this point, that's just taking the few remaining miles off his body he has left. They know what he is, and what he can do. They don't want to take away from their young guys development and they all know the odds are very much against him being a season long starter at this point to.

I don't disagree, which is why only mildly surprised. Based more so on some reports with how many teams were interested in him around the combine time frame. Green Bay has no need to call him unless injuries happen now with our draft plus Wagner signed.

H

HardRightEdge

A few thoughts.

Most guys would not be willing to do something like this to stick with a given team. I think it's really cool that Taylor was willing to take a hit to stick around.

The Packers are going to be really crowded in camp along the offensive line. Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, Wagner, Taylor, Patrick, Runyan, and Hanson can all be considered to have a good shot at making the roster (obviously on a spectrum-- Bakh is a lock, Hanson will have to earn it, etc.). Then you have guys who will be fighting to make it, like Madison, Light, Nijman. Stepaniak seems like a PUP candidate, but if he's totally healthy then he's in the mix too.

I still think Linsley could be a surprise cut or trade candidate.

Keeping Taylor makes me wonder if there is a particular design in mind. Do they want to provide competition for Turner? Or do they want to free up Turner so that he can provide competition for Wagner? Or do they want to cut Linsley and move Jenkins to center? Or is it simply that they want to stack as much quality OL talent as they can and let it sort out?
At the risk of repetition, the simple answer is probably the best one: Taylor provides experienced depth particularly on the left side. Of all those names behind last year's starters, there's Patrick with about a 1/2 season worth of snaps under his belt and looking like a keeper; Light with a smattering of inauspicious snaps (151) probably belongs just outside the bubble where you put him. And that's it as far as experience goes.

Retaining Taylor, at this juncture anyway, should be viewed in the same light as Taylor starting last year--risk mitigation. There's just no way to know what these other guys might offer until you put them on the field after a bunch of mostly non-contact camp and preseason play against 2nd. stringers, 3rd. stringers and camp bodies. The issue is more accute with a truncated offseason and maybe a shortened preseason.

The terms of the new contract are murky, but it does not appear there is any new impediment to cutting him or maybe trading him if they're happy with somebody else coming off the bench, though doing that after asking for the pay cut smacks of bad faith so I'd discount that happening.

Why Taylor would take the pay cut is perhaps the more interesting question. Why not say "no", get cut and test the market? The answer may be a simple one. It's kinda late for that to start with. He's coming off biceps surgery at age 30, was at best an adequate starter when healthy, and perhaps more importantly there's no opportunity to visit a team for a medical exam. The market for his services would not be good.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hanson IS very consistent health wise and went over 2,000 snaps without a sack according to some others say he gave up a couple his entire starting career at Oregon. I was high on the kid for a late Day 2 pick even. I like him to be our heir of the future at Center if Patrick doesn't work out.

Hanson could be the heir apparent, or perhaps Elgton Jenkins, who played center in college.

It's good to have options.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Figured he was likely gone. This restructure is a great move by Gute. Surprised Taylor didn't look for more money sewhere. I'm sure he could have gotten it.

Reaction score
I would rather shed some Light on Taylor than Taylor our plans to Light. :giggle:
We can’t expect Veldheer even wants to come back and if he did that GB would be the only one requesting his services.
It’s more likely that it’s not GB’s decision to make and very possible that path to Veldheer was already explored. I don’t think he comes back for less than $3 mil and GB probably isn’t eager at that type $ for a guy who sees a lot of the bench. It’s a gamble losing him, but we’d also pay him less if he’s still around and needed mid season. The same holds true for many players.. Williams, Daniels..Matthews etc..

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they're at $8.7m (of actual spendable cap) now after this small move. most of that is for emergencies. if they want someone left in FA some biggish contract will have to go.

H

HardRightEdge

they're at $8.7m (of actual spendable cap) now after this small move. most of that is for emergencies. if they want someone left in FA some biggish contract will have to go.
The biggest free agent move I'd expect going forward would be on the order of Tramon Williams or a similarly priced player, a couple of mil. The rest will be in the kitty for one of next year's free agents sometime between now and when free agency opens in 2021 though I doubt they'll make any moves until there's some kind of back-to-work at the earliest.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that much about "Snacks" but I gotta say I am not enamored with the name. And I'm pretty sure there is real reason behind it. I kind of remember seeing him and thinking of BJ Raji. Not really a good thing.

Members online

Latest posts