Lance kendricks

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they traded up for Williams, they most likely don't have a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd round pick.

However, if all that happened and no more FA's were signed, I would expect the Packers offense to be playing from behind almost every game.

Only if they kicked off first :D

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with some other discussions, this isn't either/or, and examples on both sides abound - I'll see your Jerry Rice and raise you a Bullet Bob Hayes. The point should be that, regardless of anything else, faster is better - given everything else that Rice had going for him, make him 4.3 in the 40, and...
thank you for making my point lol.... Of course speed is great... all I'm saying is that it is not everything despite what many people seem to believe..... and again... this was a tight end thread....I was basing my original posts on that point.... I do believe that having 4.3 speed is more important for a corner for example...

H

HardRightEdge

It wouldn't shock me either especially after what they have done so far in free agency.

What would everyone do if They traded up for Mike Williams in first?

Then draft Mixon in second? If they miss out on Mixon they could go OLB here and get a guy like Marlon Mack in 4th. He would be a great "playmate" with Monty IMO.

Then draft Demontae Kazee in 3rd to plug in slot?
I don't follow college football and I'm not wasting my time this year looking at college tape or trying to handicap the draft. I wouldn't know Mixon or Mack from Joe Blow at this point.

The one thing I do know is McCaffrey did 10 lifts at the Combine and that's not an NFL RB number. That's my sole contribution to college "scouting".

Thompson (or Wolf as the case may be) will do what he does. Once he makes the picks I'll look at the available tape for that handful of guys and form an opinion. I might even stretch and look at some tape for some of the UDFAs. ;)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't follow college football and I'm not wasting my time this year looking at college tape or trying to handicap the draft. I wouldn't know Mixon or Mack from Joe Blow at this point.

The one thing I do know is McCaffrey did 10 lifts at the Combine and that's not an NFL RB number. That's my sole contribution to college "scouting".

Thompson (or Wolf as the case may be) will do what he does. Once he makes the picks I'll look at the available tape for that handful of guys and form an opinion. I might even stretch and look at some tape for some of the UDFAs. ;)

Nothing wrong with that. I'm kind of burnt on it as well because Thompson will draft guys that make you scratch your head anyways.

I would be totally against drafting McCaffery in the early rounds as well. He is a situational player in the NFL.

H

HardRightEdge

If the Packers don't address cornerback and outside linebacker before the draft I would be extremely shocked and disappointed.
There's room in my scenario for a CB as high as the first round, as low as the third. The point was that it would not shock me if Thompson went offense in 2 of the first 3 picks.

How many years do have to see a roster constructed with the objective being to simply outscore opponents? Why expect a change now?

Thompson in conjunction with the coaching staff have a history of being stubborn with their upper round picks. Why expect an overhaul at CB now?

There's still $29 mil in cap less whatever they paid Kendricks. Plenty of room to still sign or trade for a CB, but I wouldn't bet on that.

I'm wondering...will they stay well under the cap because Murphy wants to us the cash to buy more gas stations and motels to tear down? ;)

Do I sound a little cynical? Yeah, I am. These guys had a prime window in 2015 - 2016 and blew it.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Nothing wrong with that. I'm kind of burnt on it as well because Thompson will draft guys that make you scratch your head anyways.

I would be totally against drafting McCaffery in the early rounds as well. He is a situational player in the NFL.
I'm tired of isolating guys like Bobby Wagner, Eric Kendricks, Ragland (just watch him this year), D-Linemen not named Clark, or Jay Ajayi while being left to dis Perry (it took too long as expected), Datone Jones (meh from the get go) and Randall (he should be a safety) in the wake of the draft.

I play more golf this way. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

That is very interesting bc every report says Bennett is a very good blocking te (top 10 just a year ago) and that cook is average at best. First time I have seen cook labeled as a good blocker.
It's called the echo chamber. Think about it.. How much film of all 32 teams do the national media watch? Not much. How often do they repeat the same things over and over? A lot. Local media? They rely a lot on what the coaches tell them. And even when they apply some of their own observations, they can be way, way off base. Yeah, I'm talking about you McGinn, who gave us choice nuggets like Adams won't make it out of camp or Nate Palmer is an upgrade while he's falling down in or overrunning the hole.

I would not necessarily agree with PFF related to player I watch in detail (which is limited to the Packers, maybe the Bills is they're playing well making it worth the time), and while I would not judge their relative grade for such a player since I've not seen most of the the others in detail, I will say this:

Cook was pretty good run blocker last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's room in my scenario for a CB as high as the first round, as low as the third. The point was that it would not shock me if Thompson went offense in 2 of the first 3 picks.

How many years do have to see a roster constructed with the objective being to simply outscore opponents? Why expect a change now?

Thompson in junction with the coaching staff have a history of being stubborn with their upper round picks. Why expect an overhaul at CB now?

There's still $29 mil in cap less whatever they paid Kendricks. Plenty of room to still sign or trade for a CB, but I wouldn't bet on that.

I admit that it was kind of naive to think that this offseason Thompson would finally change his approach and address the team's most glaring weaknesses with via free agency.

That doesn't change the fact that TT has drafted for needs over the past few years and him selecting two offensive players with the first three picks without having further addressed cornerback and outside linebacker would be mind-boggling.

H

HardRightEdge

I admit that it was kind of naive to think that this offseason Thompson would finally change his approach and address the team's most glaring weaknesses with via free agency.

That doesn't change the fact that TT has drafted for needs over the past few years and him selecting two offensive players with the first three picks without having further addressed cornerback and outside linebacker would be mind-boggling.
My scenario leaves a top 3 pick for a CB and maybe a 4th. rounder for an OLB.

He signed Perry; they like Fackrell for his attention to detail (has he put on some weight?); there is lot of capital invested at the position in the form of cap with Thompson perhaps reluctant to compound that with a high pick.

I started out thinking he'd go heavy on defense at the top of this draft. Who wouldn't? But it would not be shocking to me if that was concentrated in the mid-to-lower rounds.

There's a clear need for a RB unless they sign Lacy, which appears more remote with each passing day. I see where Montgomery is retaining his number 88 this season, which I would take as a sign he is not going to be a full time RB.

Shouldn't there be a lingering, nagging feeling about how this offense struggled with Nelson out of the lineup in 2015 and finding his sea legs in the early games last season. This is a WR-centric offense. Between Nelson, Adams and Cobb, at least 6 missed starts over the course of the season would not be unexpected, along with opportunities in 4-wide. It would be nice to have a more potent threat than Allison. Adams upside looks to be as a productive, complimentary #2. Oh, wait, I forgot about Janis! :sleep:

If the plan is use Montgomery as a swing man RB-slot (he's clearly not a wideout), that argues for a #4 WR (preferably a speedy one) who we would expect to see can see a fair amount of playing time while learning the World According to Rodgers over the next 2 seasons. Like the Nelson pick.

And signing two TEs, including a 30 year old for decent money, it seems to me "just outscore 'em" is still in play. That at least gets you to the playoffs, which seems to be the modus operandi. Why change the approach until somebody in this division steps it up.

I could see CB / WR / RB in the top 3, not necessarily in that order.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There's a clear need for a RB unless they sign Lacy, which appears more remote with each passing day. I see where Montgomery is retaining his number 88 this season, which I would take as a sign he is not going to be a full time RB.
From what I read, the plan is still for him to be a full time RB, but he is still able to wear #88. Maybe Bennett will offer him enough $$ to change his mind.

Shouldn't there be a lingering, nagging feeling about how this offense struggled with Nelson out of the lineup in 2015 and finding his sea legs in the early games last season. This is a WR-centric offense. Between Nelson, Adams and Cobb, at least 6 missed starts over the course of the season would not be unexpected, along with opportunities in 4-wide. It would be nice to have a more potent threat than Allison. Adams upside looks to be as a productive, complimentary #2. Oh, wait, I forgot about Janis! :sleep:

That has been a nagging lingering thought for me ever since Nelson went down in 2015 and at the end of last year. Same thing when Shields went down, the quality behind both of those players drops significantly and it showed immediately. If the coaching staff is fully confident in Adams continuing to get better and either Davis or Allison improving, than there shouldn't be much of a problem for 2017. But Jordy is getting at that age where he may slow down and Cobb may be underplaying his contract enough to be released at the end of 2017. All that said, TT and the Packers really have to keep a close eye on the WR position in the very near future.

H

HardRightEdge

From what I read, the plan is still for him to be a full time RB, but he is still able to wear #88. Maybe Bennett will offer him enough $$ to change his mind.
We'll see. Either way, it supports my thesis because he's a slot-only receiver.
That has been a nagging lingering thought for me ever since without Nelson went down in 2015 and at the end of last year. Same thing when Shields went down, the quality behind both of those players drops significantly and it showed immediately. If the coaching staff is fully confident in Adams continuing to get better and either Davis or Allison improving, than there shouldn't be much of a problem for 2017. But Jordy is getting at that age where he may slow down and Cobb may be underplaying his contract enough to be released at the end of 2017. All that said, TT and the Packers really have to keep a close eye on the WR position in the very near future.
Adams is more in the mold of a possession receiver. The highlights in his game are the short slants...money. Davis? It doesn't look good for him falling to the rock bottom of the depth chart. Allison? You're really going to expect him to step in at wideout without losing a beat if Nelson or Adams misses games?

When you get down to it, the wideout position is on par with the OLB position...strong starters, big drop off when you go the bench.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When you get down to it, the wideout position is on par with the OLB position...strong starters, big drop off when you go the bench.

I think we are in agreement on the state of the WR position. Add to what we both wrote, Adams is in the last year of his rookie contract, so a decision on him will be looming at the end of the year.

I was hoping TT would have fully addressed the CB and OLB positions in Free Agency and he might have the luxury of using a #1 or #2 on a top WR prospect. However, I think he is going to leave himself in a position that won't allow that and while he will no doubt use a mid to late round pick on another WR, we have seen the results of that; Davis, Abbrederis, Janis, Johnson, Dorsey, Swain, Clowney, Corey Rodgers, Bragg.

TT's success with WR's for some reason seems to come with second round picks: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Adams

H

HardRightEdge

Kendricks' deal is 2 years/$4M, cap number this year appears to be $1.775M.

rotoworld has it as $1.2 mil signing bonus, $800,000 salary in 2017, $1.25 mil salary in 2018, $750,000 unaccounted for (season roster bonuses/game day roster bonuses?).

So this takes remaining cap space down to about $27 mil, maybe a little lower with bonues.

After necessary deductions for the 52 and 53 roster spots, the rookie class, PS and a typical Thompson $10 mil in reserve for IR replacements and carryover, there's still about $12 mil left with little apparent movement as FA phase 1 winds down.

I semi-joked earlier about the cash budget perhaps being restrained in order to finance the entertainment district build out.

Here's another silly thought. Rodgers thinks he's due for a raise. Can you blame him? They send him out there year after year with mediocre-to-bad defenses with the message, "just outscore 'em". They're putting only $13.6 mil cash money in his pocket this season. He's holding down two jobs: franchise QB and de facto Assistant Offensive Coordinator (we seem to have a lot of those).

Rodgers is signed through 2019, at the conclusion of which he'll be age 36. Perhaps there will be an extension in our a future, tacking on maybe 2 or 3 years with a dip into the cap bucket. If we enter the season with $20 mil still left in the pot, I'd expect that to get done before the season concludes.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt the Packers need to add another starting caliber running back to the roster, especially after Lacy signed with the Seahawks. I haven't heard about Montgomery staying with #88 though.

H

HardRightEdge

Adams is in the last year of his rookie contract, so a decision on him will be looming at the end of the year.
Excellent point. That's the kind of thing I would normally account for; this time it was a space out. And this wheels us back to the idea that it can take at least two years to get on the same page with the highly discriminating Franchise. Check off another box in the "why a WR" column.
Davis, Abbrederis, Janis, Johnson, Dorsey, Swain, Clowney, Corey Rodgers, Bragg.
Add Boykin to that list, a fairly recent example of going from a strong starting group to a weak bench.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another silly thought. Rodgers thinks he's due for a raise. Can you blame him? They send him out there year after year with mediocre-to-bad defenses with the message, "just outscore 'em". They're putting only $13.6 mil cash money in his pocket this season. He's holding down two jobs: franchise QB and de facto Assistant Offensive Coordinator (we seem to have a lot of those).
Don't disagree that AR is underpaid for the burden he carries every week... but he was the highest paid QB when he signed his contract. He's currently #5 on the yearly average, but he's still #1 in amount guaranteed. I don't like the idea of "sweetening the pot" half way through his contract, there ARE much more urgent uses for that $$.

H

HardRightEdge

There's no doubt the Packers need to add another starting caliber running back to the roster, especially after Lacy signed with the Seahawks. I haven't heard about Montgomery staying with #88 though.
There we go.

Lacy / Seahawks makes sense. Beast Mode II, good fit for a ball control offense, though the original Beast Mode was better in short yardage.

Pick a bona fide rookie talent, or go UDFA in a numbers game? I think we'll see the former, as with the Lacy pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Add this to his resume, according to Lang, the Packers are using Rodgers as a reason players like Lang should be willing to stay with the Packers and take a discount for doing so.

H

HardRightEdge

...but he was the highest paid QB when he signed his contract. "
That was then, this is now.

QB money for 2nd. and 3rd. tier guys gets increasingly stupid. If Belichick ever gets around to trading Garoppolo (maybe after the draft when desperate teams didn't get their guy), the money could get really stupid based on those 4 starts.

If Brock "F*cking" Osweiler somehow manages to keep his current contract, he'll be putting $2.4 mil more cash money in his pocket than Rodgers this year.

H

HardRightEdge

Add this to his resume, according to Lang, the Packers are using Rodgers as a reason players like Lang should be willing to stay with the Packers and take a discount for doing so.
That's one of those things that bounces around in the echo chamber for years after there's any evidence of it's existence.

Kinda like Thompson drafting the "best player available."

Nelson's last contract, and that's about it, in the post-SB period. Maybe another $1 mil here or there, but nothing material.

It really shouldn't factor in at all at this point if it ever did.

Members online

Latest posts