Lance kendricks

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, there is. It's called the CBA.

The CBA only demands a minimum salary dependent on years in the league. Everything else can be incentive laden. Nothing in the CBA prohibits that. It would simply be dumb for a team to offer nothing but those types of deals though.

This is alot like when people start complaining about the massive fully guaranteed contracts NBA players recieve. Completely neglecting there's literally nothing from stoping them from handing out nothing but un guaranteed deals left and right either.

H

HardRightEdge

The CBA only demands a minimum salary dependent on years in the league. Everything else can be incentive laden. Nothing in the CBA prohibits that. It would simply be dumb for a team to offer nothing but those types of deals though.

This is alot like when people start complaining about the massive fully guaranteed contracts NBA players recieve. Completely neglecting there's literally nothing from stoping them from handing out nothing but un guaranteed deals left and right either.
If you cannot respond to my comments above on the window between player cash spend and the cap, both dictated by the CBA, then there really isn't a discussion. It's a de facto prohibition on widespread incentive contracts.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Everything you said is correct, under the current mindset of the owners and the league, guaranteed contracts are the normal mode of operation. It would have been next to impossible to sign a guy like Nick Perry to a non-guaranteed fully incentive based contract, since that is not how the rest of the league operates and competes. Guaranteed contracts can favor either side with players over or under performing their contracts. But from a fans perspective, I would much rather see players having to earn their pay every time they go to work, just like the rest of us and at the end of the day, getting paid their true value, not a predetermined one. While i don't know if it would drastically change every player's mindset and effort, I think it's safe to say it wouldn't lesson it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything you said is correct, under the current mindset of the owners and the league, guaranteed contracts are the normal mode of operation. It would have been next to impossible to sign a guy like Nick Perry to a non-guaranteed fully incentive based contract, since that is not how the rest of the league operates and competes. Guaranteed contracts can favor either side with players over or under perform their contracts. But from a fans perspective, I would much rather see players having to earn their pay every time they go to work, just like the rest of us and at the end of the day, getting paid their true value, not a predetermined one. While i don't know if it would drastically change every player's mindset and effort, I think it's safe to say it wouldn't lesson it.

I get what your saying but very few contracts are fully guaranteed in the NFL to begin with. The only one I can think of that came close was Revis and now the Jets will pay him 6 million this year not to play for them.

It's why the guaranteed numbers are the only ones that count in NFL contracts otherwise while a player like Sam Shields made 10 million last year while only playing one game he'll now miss out on another 10 million because he was subsequently released and now will never see the remainder to the money that was still owed on the contract. So there still is a situation where players have to earn their keep so to speak. Or earn it enough to not make it more cost effective to take the cap hit

Contrast that with the fully guaranteed deals in the NBA where an idiot like Larry Sanders can literally just decide he wants to quit playing and take a few years off so then the Bucks have to pay him 40 million just to sit at home. It'd be like the Packers being obligated to pay his remaining contract when he decided to hang em up.

But in either case it's simply what the market dictates in both sports contract situations

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I get what your saying but very few contracts are fully guaranteed in the NFL to begin with. The only one I can think of that came close was Revis and now the Jets will pay him 6 million this year not to play for them.

It's why the guaranteed numbers are the only ones that count in NFL contracts otherwise while a player like Sam Shields made 10 million last year while only playing one game he'll now miss out on another 10 million because he was subsequently released and now will never see the remainder to the money that was still owed on the contract. So there still is a situation where players have to earn their keep so to speak. Or earn it enough to not make it more cost effective to take the cap hit

Contrast that with the fully guaranteed deals in the NBA where an idiot like Larry Sanders can literally just decide he wants to quit playing and take a few years off so then the Bucks have to pay him 40 million just to sit at home. It'd be like the Packers being obligated to pay his remaining contract when he decided to hang em up.

But in either case it's simply what the market dictates in both sports contract situations

I stopped following the NBA for that very reason, high $$ guaranteed contracts, not to mention that the Pro game kind of bores me, still love college Basketball.

While the full amount of most NFL contracts are not guaranteed, there are very large portions that are and those portions are based solely on future potential earnings that may never actually be legitimately earned by that player. In the case of Sam Shields, how much of his 2016 playing salary of $10M did he actually earn playing last year (set aside the debate of his health and future)? How much of the $3.125M of his dead cap this year and last years was earned by Sam? How much of Clay Matthews contract has he earned? Is Aaron Rodgers being fairly compensated?

I get it, these are the kinds of contracts that have evolved in Sports like the NBA, NFL and MBL, I'm just not a fan of guys making way more than they have actually earned nor a fan of guys not getting paid as much as they should have been. IMO incentive based pay contracts would change that as well as the product we perceive and see on the field as well.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts