Kyler Fackrell's path to the NFL

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

I had read he's coming to the pros late (turning age 25 on 11/25/16) because of his Mormon mission. Evidently that is false.

According to this story, he spent the first year after high school painting houses. Another year is accounted for with his redshirt freshman year, with 5 years total at Utah St.

Regardless, the guy can be sudden, and he shows a variety of rush moves...inside-outside, outside-inside, spin.

The athleticism is NFL quality, but it will be interesting to see how that lanky build and 16 lifts translates against NFL OTs. His arms are short for a guy of this height (33 1/4" at 6'5"); he's going to have improve his hand work to compensate as a pass rusher.

At age 24/25, you have to wonder how much physical development can take place, though that appears to be the Packers gamble if they expect him to play in other than obvious passing down "release the hounds" mode.

Looking to 2017, assuming Peppers' departure (which I would not assume), pairing him with Matthews in nickel on those tweener run/pass downs (of which there are many), would present a run vulnerability. Fackrell, like Matthews, appears to be by nature a backside run pursuit guy, not a point-of-attack guy, putting more pressure on the ILBs in nickel.

For 2016, whatever offensive snaps one might have contemplated for Elliott could be handed to Fackrell. Maybe Jones too if he doesn't step it up.

In any event, if in the end he turns out to be an effective situational pass rusher, that's not bad value out of the 3rd. round.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Looking to 2017, assuming Peppers' departure (which I would not assume), pairing him with Matthews in nickel on those tweener run/pass downs (of which there are many), would present a run vulnerability.

Even if Peppers wants to continue playing beyond the 2016 season he would have to agree to a substantial pay cut for the Packers to be able to afford him.