Kyle Fuller to test Free Agency

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-b...e-returning-to-the-Bears-per-report-115205745

To me this makes him the top priority for FA signings. He checks all the boxes for me. His play has been consistent to me sans injury and to me the article suggests some bad blood with the Bears so this is his chance for payback.

If Gute wants to show the fan base that the TT days are officially over, he should pull the trigger. Fuller and Randall can line up outside, and King can take over in the slot with House as the Dimeback. Pipkins/Hawkins/Rollins can duke it out in camp for a spot on the team, but I'd prefer we keep 2 out of the 3 for depth reasons.

Cue the naysayers....

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The inconsistency is a big issue. But that could get him on a one year contract . We need at least one sure thing at CB before we put our trust in Pettine turning the defense around.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to be convinced he's leaving until it actually happens. Most people here have expressed interest in him

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for giving him a try ... however I think people in here should temper their expectations regarding free agency this year... The current cap situation does not lend itself to spending much. I'm sure the next thing I will hear is Cut Clay... Cut Jordy... Cut Cobb.... ok we just got weaker in the pass rush... and took away all of Aaron's weapons ... now we need to replace them too... I just don't see it happening.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for giving him a try ... however I think people in here should temper their expectations regarding free agency this year... The current cap situation does not lend itself to spending much. I'm sure the next thing I will hear is Cut Clay... Cut Jordy... Cut Cobb.... ok we just got weaker in the pass rush... and took away all of Aaron's weapons ... now we need to replace them too... I just don't see it happening.

All we need is a restructure of the three; I THINK.

With the 16M we have in cap room it should be enough to sign Fuller, he's not going to be commanding THAT much, but his market will ultimately be determined by what Johnson and Butler get paid. If not we have other options perhaps but he seems like the best risk/reward and cost effective value.

D

Deleted member 6794

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-b...e-returning-to-the-Bears-per-report-115205745

To me this makes him the top priority for FA signings. He checks all the boxes for me. His play has been consistent to me sans injury and to me the article suggests some bad blood with the Bears so this is his chance for payback.

If Gute wants to show the fan base that the TT days are officially over, he should pull the trigger. Fuller and Randall can line up outside, and King can take over in the slot with House as the Dimeback. Pipkins/Hawkins/Rollins can duke it out in camp for a spot on the team, but I'd prefer we keep 2 out of the 3 for depth reasons.

Cue the naysayers....

The Packers should definitely be interested in signing Fuller if he makes it to free agency. I would prefer King to line up on the perimeter with Randall covering the slot though.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer King to line up on the perimeter with Randall covering the slot though.

I would as well but with his documented shoulder issues I'd rather him be in a slot against guys who can generally be his size or small vs on the outside against bigger WRs and out in run support against RBs. Granted I understand that there are big slot WRs as well but I like his chances of playing all 16 games there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would as well but with his documented shoulder issues I'd rather him be in a slot against guys who can generally be his size or small vs on the outside against bigger WRs and out in run support against RBs. Granted I understand that there are big slot WRs as well but I like his chances of playing all 16 games there.

Unfortunately I believe that neither King is a decent fit to line up in the slot nor that it would benefit his shoulder by any means.

Reaction score
While I know there are not many ideal situations in FA, he's definitely toward the top (if not the top) on the attainable list crossed with his football acumen. The CB position is one of super importance and getting another Veteran like Fuller would cover one of our top priorities. Just to have a 3rd normal CB would be a nice change for once

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cue the naysayers....

I would only go after Fuller, if he doesn't receive a multi-year deal from another team. A one-year, "maximize your earnings"-type of deal would work. I don't think Fuller will last long on the market; he'll get a good deal. However, he would be valuable to the Defense and would provide veteran leadership for the secondary. Also, we weaken a division opponent. I can't imagine King in the slot, unless he's sole role is covering exceptional TE's (Graham, Gronkowski) or WR (Fitzgerald, Jones) of the league. If he develops into a versatile DB, the sky is the limit with his size and length. I think House is a solid role player. I agree the other guys lower on the depth chart should prove themselves, however I'm excited with the pieces we already have in the secondary under a new set of eyes in Mike Pettine. With another possible DB coming in the draft, the depth and competitive aspects of this developing roster are enticing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would only go after Fuller, if he doesn't receive a multi-year deal from another team. A one-year, "maximize your earnings"-type of deal would work.

There's absolutely no chance the Packers will be able to sign Fuller to a one-year, prove-it deal.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no chance the Packers will be able to sign Fuller to a one-year, prove-it deal.

Minimum I think fuller gets the 5 years 30 million that hyde got last season. More likely he gets something better as a corner vs a safety. So I'm thinking his range is from 5 years 30 million to 4 years 40 million. So between 6 and 10 million per year. I'd definitely take him at 6 but I'm not sure he's worth the 10. The scary part about all this is if fuller gets 10 m per guess who is gonna be in line for similar money, damarious Randall and I'd have serious reservations about his motivation after a big payday.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minimum I think fuller gets the 5 years 30 million that hyde got last season. More likely he gets something better as a corner vs a safety. So I'm thinking his range is from 5 years 30 million to 4 years 40 million. So between 6 and 10 million per year. I'd definitely take him at 6 but I'm not sure he's worth the 10. The scary part about all this is if fuller gets 10 m per guess who is gonna be in line for similar money, damarious Randall and I'd have serious reservations about his motivation after a big payday.
I think Fuller is going to get a better contract than Hyde, without a doubt. I'd take him at 6 for sure, but I don't think he signs for that little. As for Damarious, he doesn't strike me as a lazy guy. I think his problem was he thought he was too good, and was ignoring some coaching and thinking his ability could get him out of anything. He seems to have rebounded nicely last season and I think he could be a very good DB for us. But i'm not completely sold on him either. This coming season will tell us a lot about where he is mentally. I think physically he has everything we need in a DB. If he maintains his mental focus, he'll have an even better year than he finished that last 2/3rd's of of last year and he'll have earned that bigger contract. We'll see though

D

Deleted member 6794

It might be smart for the Packers to take a gamble on Randall and sign him to a reasonable long-term contract once they're allowed to after March 14.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Fuller is going to get a better contract than Hyde, without a doubt. I'd take him at 6 for sure, but I don't think he signs for that little. As for Damarious, he doesn't strike me as a lazy guy. I think his problem was he thought he was too good, and was ignoring some coaching and thinking his ability could get him out of anything. He seems to have rebounded nicely last season and I think he could be a very good DB for us. But i'm not completely sold on him either. This coming season will tell us a lot about where he is mentally. I think physically he has everything we need in a DB. If he maintains his mental focus, he'll have an even better year than he finished that last 2/3rd's of of last year and he'll have earned that bigger contract. We'll see though

Yeah I agree I don't think he's lazy I just think he's a bit crazy. So that's the question can you trust where he's gonna be mentally, enough to give him 20 million guranteed? I agree with captain, itd be smart for the Packers to make an early decision on him and try to lock him down at a cheaper rate than he's likely to command if he hits the open market. Because the one thing I am sure about is this dude is gonna go for the money 100% and I don't blame him it's a job and you should try and get compensated the best you can

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I agree I don't think he's lazy I just think he's a bit crazy. So that's the question can you trust where he's gonna be mentally, enough to give him 20 million guranteed? I agree with captain, itd be smart for the Packers to make an early decision on him and try to lock him down at a cheaper rate than he's likely to command if he hits the open market. Because the one thing I am sure about is this dude is gonna go for the money 100% and I don't blame him it's a job and you should try and get compensated the best you can

You have to consider that the Packers could pick up the fifth-year option for Randall until early May as well.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers front office will exercise the 5th year option on Randall without a doubt. It would be a poor choice not to as the #30 pick in the 2014 drafts 5th year option was worth just over 8.5 million which is a lot less than the 2018 franchise tag number for cornerbacks, I'm guessing by about half. But still if you could sign him to a long term deal worth about 8 million per during the 2018 season I think that would be a good deal for the team. He's only making 2.5 million this year so that's 11 million he's essentially guranteed over the next 2 seasons as the 8.5 is fully guranteed and about half of his 2018 salary is as well. You add 2 years and not really that much more money total and guranteed and you get to a 4 year 32 million dollar deal that seems pretty beneficial to both sides

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe.

I have this memory of him being left one-on-one with Jordy in the endzone, and it did not end well for him.

He's not a bad corner, but there's no need to pay him like he's a shut-down corner. He's not. So, for me, it depends on how much he wants.

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect the Packers front office will exercise the 5th year option on Randall without a doubt. It would be a poor choice not to as the #30 pick in the 2014 drafts 5th year option was worth just over 8.5 million which is a lot less than the 2018 franchise tag number for cornerbacks, I'm guessing by about half. But still if you could sign him to a long term deal worth about 8 million per during the 2018 season I think that would be a good deal for the team. He's only making 2.5 million this year so that's 11 million he's essentially guranteed over the next 2 seasons as the 8.5 is fully guranteed and about half of his 2018 salary is as well. You add 2 years and not really that much more money total and guranteed and you get to a 4 year 32 million dollar deal that seems pretty beneficial to both sides

If the Packers pick up the fifth-year option for Randall the team wouldn't be allowed to negotiate a long-term contract with him until the start of the 2019 league year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know, maybe.

I have this memory of him being left one-on-one with Jordy in the endzone, and it did not end well for him.

He's not a bad corner, but there's no need to pay him like he's a shut-down corner. He's not. So, for me, it depends on how much he wants.

Fuller isn't an elite cornerback but he's better than all of the ones currently on the Packers roster. In addition no shut-down CB will hit free agency this offseason.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure he's better than Randall. In 3 seasons Randall has 10 picks 2 returned for touchdowns and 144 tackles, 32 passes defensed and 1 fumble recovery. Fuller has 188 tackles 8 picks, 3 forced fumbles, and 41 passes defensed. They actually have very similar stats 11 total turnover plays fuller has 9 more passes defensed and 44 more tackles but Randall has the 2 touchdowns which I put a huge premium on that's why players like woodson/Collins and are so special they create turnovers and they score defensive touchdowns are priceless. As for king I think we all hope he's better than both and he certainly has the physical tools and attitude to do it well just have to wait and see about his shoulder if he can completely heal from that once and for all I think he becomes the Packers number 1 corner even if they sign Fuller and Randall continues to develop

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure he's better than Randall. In 3 seasons Randall has 10 picks 2 returned for touchdowns and 144 tackles, 32 passes defensed and 1 fumble recovery. Fuller has 188 tackles 8 picks, 3 forced fumbles, and 41 passes defensed. They actually have very similar stats 11 total turnover plays fuller has 9 more passes defensed and 44 more tackles but Randall has the 2 touchdowns which I put a huge premium on that's why players like woodson/Collins and are so special they create turnovers and they score defensive touchdowns are priceless.

I definitely consider Fuller a better cornerback than Randall. While those numbers aren't perfect by any means PFF graded Fuller (84.3) significantly higher than Randall (70.9) last season. In addition Randall has yet to prove that he can consistantly perform at an above average level after.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuller isn't an elite cornerback but he's better than all of the ones currently on the Packers roster. In addition no shut-down CB will hit free agency this offseason.

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side.

It doesn't appear the Bears are ready to move heaven and earth to bring him back; Perhaps there are better alternatives?

D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't appear the Bears are ready to move heaven and earth to bring him back; Perhaps there are better alternatives?

Unfortunately there aren't any elite cornerbacks available in free agency this offseason resulting in Fuller definitely being one of the best available.

Members online

Latest posts