KUDOS TO BUSH, WASHINGTON AND...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in February I wrote this about Jarrett Bush:

Jarrett Bush 6 foot 200 lbs, on the other hand, is loaded with athletic ability, with a great size to speed ratio, who rarely got on the field as a defender last season as a free-agent rookie pickup. Last season Jarrett did provide the team with the Kamikaze special team player that most teams covet, and where he delivered big hits and impressive hustle as a gunner on the punt team. He also was a fixture on the kick-off coverage team.

If the coaching staff can work with this kid on developing his ability as a corner, he might surprise some folks and leap-frog into the nickel position in 2007. He certainly has the size and strength and athletic ability to do the job, if he can just get it down between the ears, he should make a great press CB.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I admit it felt good to be a bit prophetic when this young man stood out significantly at mini-camp and OTA’s with his marked improvement. Training camp, exhibitions seasons and the opener did nothing but confirm his significant development

But the credit for Bush's development lies primarily with the young man himself as he spent virtually the entire off season in Green Bay working out with the team and any other athlete he could get to work with him like Chad Johnson and Koren Robinson. He also worked his butt off with his position (Defensive Nickel Package/Cornerbacks) coach, former NFL corner Lionel Washington

"That gave me time to sit down and watch film with my coaches plus a minicamp and the OTAs to go through the defense again and learn it from A to Z," Bush said. "Because when we came in, I learned it from, what, R on? Now that I know the base of the defense, I can play fast now. I don't have to worry about the playbook. It comes naturally. Instead of thinking, I'm just playing."

Bob Sanders recently said of Bush, "He's been very, very solid. He's advanced an awful, awful lot since he first came here."

I ended my positional review of the corners writing:

"As with Jarrett Bush, the raw material is there with Blackmon. The ability of the coaching staff to develop these guys' natural athletic ability will be put to the test. Given that Marty Schottenheimer's dumber brother Kurt is the DB position coach, thank God, Lionel Washington is there for the cornerbacks."

I'll stick with my props for Lionel Washington, but given the overall improvement of the whole defensive credit I will back off (some) from my harsh critique of Kurt Schottenheimer - is it possible that he is growing into his job?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Final props need to go to Veteran CB Al Harris who has mentored Bush, Blackmon and all of the young DB's. His mentorship is both direct, spending extra time between drills and after practice with the younger players, and indirectly with his incredible work ethic. Bush's own words attest to Harris's more subtle contributions to his development:

"What they're looking for is consistency. If you're up-and-down, you're not consistent, you might give up big plays, and they're not certain of what they're going to get this week. Al, you know what you get from Al every week. That's why he's a great player. That's what they want, and that's what I want to be."

Keep watching and learning young man, your progress thus far is commendable and notice by your coaches, teammates, writers and fans.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You know, I wrote about Bush being good too. I'm not gonna dig it up though. Too many ******* posts of mine to sift through to find it :p

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I wrote about Bush being good too. I'm not gonna dig it up though. Too many ******* posts of mine to sift through to find it :p
Thats the problem when you post so much!
Have to go through the "weeds" to get to the good stuff! :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Thats the problem when you post so much!
Have to go through the "weeds" to get to the good stuff! :lol:
Yeah! And there's just not enough 'good stuff' to merit a search! lol

Bruce, I like you, but, cmon man! We know you're freaking smart, stop rubbing it in!!! I'll find you and cut your toenails!! :p

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love your articles Bruce. You are a great writer. The I told you so isn't very needed however.

No offense, but in your articles you usually write that "insert name here" could step in and fill "insert position here" if he does this or that. Whether it be studying film or something else. I think you also said Blackmon or Dendy could be the nickelback.

I think we were all high on Bush when we realized how upset the Panthers' fans were to lose him. Any way, it nice to have him. This is the most depth at CB that I remember us having since I've been a Packer fan.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is NOT a I told you so post.

1st of all I wrote it for a different site.

2nd I give the credit to Bush for his hard work and to Lionel Washington for his great work with Bush, Blackmon, and Williams.

3rd I give Props to Al Harris for his leadership and mentoring of these young men.

I provided quotes from Bush, Washington and Sanders.

I am not here enough to really care what you couple of guys think.

I drop my stuff off because Ryan has asked me to and because some of the members here seem to appreciate some of my articles and posts.

I give both of you (Trom and Zero) kudos for your contributions and your talent with technology. Given this is it so hard to be respectful in return or to read my stuff and if you don't like it simply ignore it?

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love your articles Bruce. You are a great writer. The I told you so isn't very needed however.

No offense, but in your articles you usually write that "insert name here" could step in and fill "insert position here" if he does this or that. Whether it be studying film or something else. I think you also said Blackmon or Dendy could be the nickelback.

I think we were all high on Bush when we realized how upset the Panthers' fans were to lose him. Any way, it nice to have him. This is the most depth at CB that I remember us having since I've been a Packer fan.

Actually, I have written plenty of articles where I say that some one has proven me wrong too. Ted Thompson is one example. While I have been critical of him (some deserved, some not) I often will say when he is right and/or has proven me wrong.

I have written a couple of positive articles on Coston lately, in my positional analysis I wrote that he did not seem to have the heart to ever achieve his emense potential. He came to camp and proved me wrong.

You guys can spin this into a thread in which taking shots or insulting me becomes the topic if it is somehow helpful to you.

Frankly, I work pretty hard to provide what I think is some decent reading material, but to each their own.

BTW Millertime, I provided an exact quote. The quote did not claim that I said he would be the nickle back of the "second coming," rather I acknowledged his talents and physical ability that could emerge if the coaching staff could work with and coax it from him.

Ironically, this very so-called "I told you so" thread includes me backing of on Kurt S and saying perhaps he is proving me wrong by growing into the job.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
millertime said:

Actually, I have written plenty of articles where I say that some one has proven me wrong too. Ted Thompson is one example. While I have been critical of him (some deserved, some not) I often will say when he is right and/or has proven me wrong.

I have written a couple of positive articles on Coston lately, in my positional analysis I wrote that he did not seem to have the heart to ever achieve his emense potential. He came to camp and proved me wrong.

You guys can spin this into a thread in which taking shots or insulting me becomes the topic if it is somehow helpful to you.

Frankly, I work pretty hard to provide what I think is some decent reading material, but to each their own.

BTW Millertime, I provided an exact quote. The quote did not claim that I said he would be the nickle back of the "second coming," rather I acknowledged his talents and physical ability that could emerge if the coaching staff could work with and coax it from him.

Ironically, this very so-called "I told you so" thread includes me backing of on Kurt S and saying perhaps he is proving me wrong by growing into the job.

I got it. Props!

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce's material is some of the best on this site, and he's welcome to spout off about his seer abilities all he wants. First of all, he's right, second of all, he's worth it, third of all, I'm bigger than any of you who think you're bigger than Bruce.

If you wanna hate on someone, send it DH's way. (or did DH get banned?)

Anyway, good work Bruce, I appreciate your presence here.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think almost everyone fills a nitche here.
Like me, I'm the "Court Jestor!" :lol:
Only if someone becomes a real jerk do i not appreciate the different views i see.
Bruce is a smart cookie, and is appreciated here by alot of people.

Reaction score
Great read Bruce, as usual.

The one thing that I believe spoke volumes about Al was how he handled his injury last Sunday.

The dude looked in terrible pain, so much so that when I saw him on the sidelines, I felt like he was lost for the year. Al of course came back, but when you saw the look on his face while an asst. coach put a glove on his right hand, I thought the dude wouldn't finish the game.

While AL was in there, I kept thinking to myself that he was done for, surely with him barely being able to move his right hand, the Eagles were going to pick on him.

I was wrong on all three counts. If you can't get inspired by a leader like Harris giving it his all (and I mean ALL), then you are in the wrong profession.

And of course, our CB coach Washington seems to be the most under the radar guy on our team. I won't complain though, here is hoping that one day Washington becomes our DB coach, because he has shown he deserves a promotion and hefty pay raise.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce's material is some of the best on this site, and he's welcome to spout off about his seer abilities all he wants. First of all, he's right, second of all, he's worth it, third of all, I'm bigger than any of you who think you're bigger than Bruce.

If you wanna hate on someone, send it DH's way. (or did DH get banned?)

Anyway, good work Bruce, I appreciate your presence here.

YAWN!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I LIKE reading Bruce's stuff (but who am I?) I also am impressed with Al Harris and his leadership. A lot of successful pros wouldn't take the time or make the effort. We've got some high character guys on this team, now if we can just get them healthy I'll be in hog-heaven.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I give both of you (Trom and Zero) kudos for your contributions and your talent with technology. Given this is it so hard to be respectful in return or to read my stuff and if you don't like it simply ignore it?

It'd be easier to be respectful if you weren't constantly rubbing it in that you knew this and that over and over again bud. I was more being playful than anything. I think its awesome the knowledge you have, I just get irritated by people who are smart and have to make it known to others that they are by repeatedly stating as such. Just my personal preference.

I guess I prefer the let my work speak for me method and you don't :shrug:
You're a helluva writer man with loads of knowledge and incite. I want to like you more than I do, but like I said, those who are smart/intelligent what not, shouldn't pat themselves on the back. Guess I was just raised wrong.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:

It'd be easier to be respectful if you weren't constantly rubbing it in that you knew this and that over and over again bud. I was more being playful than anything. I think its awesome the knowledge you have, I just get irritated by people who are smart and have to make it known to others that they are by repeatedly stating as such. Just my personal preference.

I guess I prefer the let my work speak for me method and you don't :shrug:
You're a helluva writer man with loads of knowledge and incite. I want to like you more than I do, but like I said, those who are smart/intelligent what not, shouldn't pat themselves on the back. Guess I was just raised wrong.
I have met a few like that over the years, and understand what you mean.
If a person IS smart, people know that and don't have to be told.
I think people that do that have either a "superiority complex", or low self asteem. So they have to be SURE everyone knows how smart they are.
(Oh....so theres NO misunderstanding, i'm not talking about Bruce)
I have been attacked by some of these people on this site, and it always makes me laugh. The old "Oh yeah!?! Well i have THIS degree, or THAT degree!" Theres a huge difference between having knowledge, and having WISDOM.
Just knowing alot doesn't make you smart. But being able to properly USE what you know, like WHEN to say something, and when to shut up, is WISDOM.
(Bet some here are pointing a finger at me now!)

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't sweat it Bruce. If people don't like what you post they should just ignore your posts rather than tell you what you should post and when you should post it. Just keep doing what you're doing. :D

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:

It'd be easier to be respectful if you weren't constantly rubbing it in that you knew this and that over and over again bud.

Where did I do that in this thread? I didn't declare I knew Bush would make it, instead I used something that I wrote that talked about his potential to rise if the coaching staff could help him rise to his physical abilities. I said it felt good to seem profitic, but that all of the credit goes to Bush's hard work, Washington's great coaching and Harris's mentoring. I think you are reading something into it that is not there or at least not intended. Using the previous work was a launching point for writing an article. I also made fun of my harsh comments about Kurt S. and again it was literary, not rubbing anything in.

I was more being playful than anything. I think its awesome the knowledge you have, I just get irritated by people who are smart and have to make it known to others that they are by repeatedly stating as such. Just my personal preference.

It is not a big deal. Obviously, it is not something I care that much about since I am rarely here. I am smart, but so are many people (from what I have seen including you) and that was never the point of any of this.

[I guess I prefer the let my work speak for me method and... :shrug:

We agree here, believe me, I am my own harshest critic. It takes guts to put your work out there for critique. I don't come from privilege and was the first in my entire family to ever go to college -- thank God for athletic scholorships or I wouldn't have either. Hell, I was half way through graduate school before I finally figured out that they weren't going to come in and tell me the gig was up, my kind didn't belong there. :)

[You're a helluva writer man with loads of knowledge and incite. I want to like you more than I do, but like I said, those who are smart/intelligent what not, shouldn't pat themselves on the back. Guess I was just raised wrong.

Thanks for the compliment Zero. I think you are reading something into my writing that is not there and missing all of the times I point out being wrong. Perhaps part of it is that I am not here often enough. And perhaps part of it is that I am a pretty confident guy despite my own internal doubts about writing. I am ready to move on. Like I said, my intent here is to entertain and to help Ryan out for his fine efforts in providing this free forum that you and others enjoy.

And BTW Thanks to ALL who commented. Your kind words are meaningful and make the work I put into writing worthwhile.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I guess I don't get it, you wrote a good article in the offseason, and followed it up with a little background on how he got there. Great article and keep bringing them.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:

It'd be easier to be respectful if you weren't constantly rubbing it in that you knew this and that over and over again bud.

Where did I do that in this thread? I didn't declare I knew Bush would make it, instead I used something that I wrote that talked about his potential to rise if the coaching staff could help him rise to his physical abilities. I said it felt good to seem profitic, but that all of the credit goes to Bush's hard work, Washington's great coaching and Harris's mentoring. I think you are reading something into it that is not there or at least not intended. Using the previous work was a launching point for writing an article. I also made fun of my harsh comments about Kurt S. and again it was literary, not rubbing anything in.

I was more being playful than anything. I think its awesome the knowledge you have, I just get irritated by people who are smart and have to make it known to others that they are by repeatedly stating as such. Just my personal preference.

It is not a big deal. Obviously, it is not something I care that much about since I am rarely here. I am smart, but so are many people (from what I have seen including you) and that was never the point of any of this.

[I guess I prefer the let my work speak for me method and... :shrug:

We agree here, believe me, I am my own harshest critic. It takes guts to put your work out there for critique. I don't come from privilege and was the first in my entire family to ever go to college -- thank God for athletic scholorships or I wouldn't have either. Hell, I was half way through graduate school before I finally figured out that they weren't going to come in and tell me the gig was up, my kind didn't belong there. :)

[You're a helluva writer man with loads of knowledge and incite. I want to like you more than I do, but like I said, those who are smart/intelligent what not, shouldn't pat themselves on the back. Guess I was just raised wrong.

Thanks for the compliment Zero. I think you are reading something into my writing that is not there and missing all of the times I point out being wrong. Perhaps part of it is that I am not here often enough. And perhaps part of it is that I am a pretty confident guy despite my own internal doubts about writing. I am ready to move on. Like I said, my intent here is to entertain and to help Ryan out for his fine efforts in providing this free forum that you and others enjoy.

And BTW Thanks to ALL who commented. Your kind words are meaningful and make the work I put into writing worthwhile.
Congrats on college! I'm in the same boat. I was the first to go to and graduate college. It's still surreal to me that I, ME, of all people ME went TO and graduated college when everyone said I couldn't and wouldn't.

I think you do belong wherever you want. You like I said before are respectuable and knowledgeable. I just think your writings speak for themself and in (and only) my opinion it taints it a little like 'hey look at me i said this and i was right'.

It does take a lot of balls to write, I can't wait til I have the time to do it again! Since finishing college few weeks ago I've finally got a major role in my daughters life and I have to be the parent who sets her straight and gets her going in the right direction. Basically, while her mom gets to be her friend, I have to be the bad guy and be the parent.

Anyhow, its all good. Just would like to see others pull your work up for you rather than you. 8)

Members online

Latest posts