Kinda Starting To Feel A Little Like 2009...

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kind of starting to feel like we are heading for the same position that we were in 2009. Where our defense REALLY struggled against quality QB's and our offense needed to keep pace with the shootout for us to win. Hoping for a HUGE year out of Rodgers and our offense, I think we will need to score a lot this year to win.

And even with Collins back there, the prob wasn't our secondary... it was the fact that our pass rush is virtually non existent. Just like in 09... Any QB will pick you apart with that much time, doesn't matter who they are.

Reaction score
This is where we are starting to miss someone like Jenkins who complimented Matthews coming off the edge. With Mike Neal gone too, this year will be bumpy yet somehow I still think we can pull it off and get back to the big game.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest difference between now and 2009 and i think the reason we are in 12-4 13-3 territory is the fact that the defense may give up a lot of yards, they are clutch. Big sacks/pressures in week 1 and turnovers in week 2 were the reason we came out on top. So many close games that year came down to one drive at the end and either the defense or the offense would stumble and lose, and this year I see a lot of those situations going our way.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense has PLENTY of time to get itself together. Don't forget we started 4-4 in 2009 and looked downright awful in the first half of the year. Right now, the Packers are the best team in the league. We're way beyond where we were in 09, and even last year.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm just missing something, but...

The Packers are tied for 4th in the NFL with 10 sacks. Jarius Wynn has replaced Cullen Jenkins and Mike Neal very well as he has three sacks in three games. They've also forced five interceptions (tied for 2nd) and 25 pass deflections (3rd). That means that quarterbacks must be feeling some pressure or they wouldn't be making erroneous throws.

Even the big passing yardage totals are skewed. How much of that comes when our defense is playing in that conservative 3-man rush prevent defense? A decent chunk of it. Teams pass more against us because they can't run on our defense and they often find themselves in a 14-point hole right out of the gate.

I'm just not seeing the severe lack of a pass rush. I'm not seeing it when I watch the games. I don't see it on the stats. I think some of you are overreacting a bit. Heck, they've played much better in the second half under Mike McCarthy the past two seasons so I'm feeling very good about the team right now.

The one thing I am concerned with is if we play a team who has a good set of tight ends and a running back who is great in the passing game. I don't like our linebackers in pass coverage situations. Really wish we had a Do-It-All linebacker like most great 3-4 defenses have. That's what makes them great. Patrick Willis is the one guy who I would trade the kitchen cupboard and most everything in it for.

My .02 cents.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
2009 brings back Packers shoot out games, which I think we can now win.

& hyped up games versus the Vikes.

So the feeling is halfway there.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yeah the more I read and hear the more apparent it becomes that we really do not have an issue.I present my case.

1. In the last year the NFL has made rule changes that have really opened up the passing game.
a) they moved the umpire from the area of the inside linebackers to behind the quarterback. Receivers no longer have to navigate around this official in their routes. This has made that area, in the words of Warren Sapp, an "Autobahn"

b) They have outlawed hitting defenseless receivers so there is no longer the fear in recivers heads of having their teeth knocked out when they stretch out for a ball over the middle. Quarterbacks are opening up their throws in the middle because they don't have to worry about putting their receivers at risk with throws that require them to stretch out.

c) Quarterbacks are for the most part treated like china dolls now. They can't be hit above the shoulders or below the knees and you better not touch them a microsecond after the ball is released or your gonna get a 15 yard penalty. So they are not getting as much punishment and are starting to lose fear (The exception being the dog killer).

2. The lockout and new CBO has really put defenses in a hole.
a) no OTA
b) Shorttend Training Camp
c) No two-a-days, this is really the killer, two a days is when defenses gel, its when the secondary gets their timing and situational responsibility's down. Without the two-a-days they got half of the padded practices and that is when you perfect your tackling technique.

3. Its September, the weather is nice, its easy to throw outdoors. Things will change in the next month.

4. thru the fist 3 weeks of the season there were 33 300+ yard games, them most ever at this point in the season and a 50% increase over last year.

WE ARE JUST FINE and soon to be 4-0. Its good to be King.