Kevin King

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, last game I don't think I saw Jean-Charles at all. He's clearly not ready if you ask me. I was quite intrigued that Gute drafted him as he is a carbon copy of Sullivan.....although I might give SJC the nod in physicality and Sullivan the nod on ball skills.

Jean-Charles hasn't played a snap on defense so far this season. He received his first action on special teams vs. the Niners though.

King was a stop-gap signing until we find a better CB. Unfortunately, we didn't have many better options.

I honestly believe there would have been better options at cornerback available in free agency than spending $5 million on King.
You mean like Gute did with OC? Yes, we had other options for OC but the job was Myers' to lose from day 1. Other good teams are starting rookie CB's (Samuel, Melifonwu, Surtain), why is that a taboo idea for GB? If any player is expected to start early in their career it should be your 1st rounder with the highest chance.

It's easier for a rookie center to start immediately than at cornerback.

It's great that Stokes seems to be capable of taking over the job opposite of Alexander but it wouldn't have been smart to rely on it.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not feeling good about the Alexander injury—- they really could have used Sherman on the other side of coverage in the secondary. I see problems ahead and King will have to play a whole lot better than what He has shown so far and others will have to really pick it up! I am worried and wishing Alexander a fast recovery!!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jean-Charles hasn't played a snap on defense so far this season. He received his first action on special teams vs. the Niners though.

I honestly believe there would have been better options at cornerback available in free agency than spending $5 million on King.

It's easier for a rookie center to start immediately than at cornerback.

It's great that Stokes seems to be capable of taking over the job opposite of Alexander but it wouldn't have been smart to rely on it.
Tough sledding ahead.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta say that Stokes looked a lot like King this last game. He gave a big cushion and tackled just like King does. I think he has much better closing speed for the deep ones than King but Pit did not go deep against him that I remember. And Stokes has very long arms which should help him a lot. Nevertheless, he looked like a clone to me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta say that Stokes looked a lot like King this last game. He gave a big cushion and tackled just like King does. I think he has much better closing speed for the deep ones than King but Pit did not go deep against him that I remember. And Stokes has very long arms which should help him a lot. Nevertheless, he looked like a clone to me.

Stokes at times is going to be worse than King it is just the fact when dealing with a rookie that is raw. Stokes can and has made up for some of his mistakes already in the early part of the season with his insane closing speed.

I look forward to watch just how high and close he can get to his ceiling. The issue I see is so many fans unwilling to be critical of him on TERRIBLE plays and just blast him, like they do when King say has a couple AUTROCIOUS plays.

His ceiling is already visibly higher than Kings' - which is why I think even you'll begin to disagree with your final sentence by the season's end.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes at times is going to be worse than King it is just the fact when dealing with a rookie that is raw. Stokes can and has made up for some of his mistakes already in the early part of the season with his insane closing speed.

I look forward to watch just how high and close he can get to his ceiling. The issue I see is so many fans unwilling to be critical of him on TERRIBLE plays and just blast him, like they do when King say has a couple AUTROCIOUS plays.

His ceiling is already visibly higher than Kings' - which is why I think even you'll begin to disagree with your final sentence by the season's end.
I'm really just saying he looked like a clone to me the last game. I will take it game by game. But people that say he looks great as a tackler in those short pass plays...not yet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really just saying he looked like a clone to me the last game. I will take it game by game. But people that say he looks great as a tackler in those short pass plays...not yet.

I think folks like his willing nature about tackling. King almost looks like he is attempting to avoid contact when "making a tackle attempt" where Stokes is willing for sure. I liken it to MVS his first two years with how he was not a good blocker but very willing, and then this past year it was very clear he wasn't just willing but excelling at times. Here's to hoping Stokes grows similar, just maybe quicker LOL

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ja'Marr Chase will be running deep all day, Sunday, hopefully against Stokes rather than King (if he plays). At least Stokes has the speed to potentially catch-up and make deep balls contested. The DL/LB's needs to help this week by getting consistent pressure on Burrows or it'll be a long, sad day of Higgins & Chase mid/long completions and/or Boyd from the slot.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think folks like his willing nature about tackling. King almost looks like he is attempting to avoid contact when "making a tackle attempt" where Stokes is willing for sure. I liken it to MVS his first two years with how he was not a good blocker but very willing, and then this past year it was very clear he wasn't just willing but excelling at times. Here's to hoping Stokes grows similar, just maybe quicker LOL
To be fair. His main job is pass defending. If he tightens up on 3rd downs and keeps those short passes to a minimum; I'll be very happy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One long one can kill you in an instant. 3 short ones hurts as well. But it is 3 more chances for a pick.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think 3 short ones compared to 1 long one is 2 more chances for a pick. Also 2 more chances for a sack. Although the chance of a sack would increase on a long one because of the time needed for the receiver to get deep.

Reaction score
I gotta say that Stokes looked a lot like King this last game
I see Stokes as having a floor nowhere close to King’s. But I agree Stokes ceiling is much higher than Kings.
I noticed Sunday that Stokes isn’t afraid to challenge a RB with a good solid Leg tackle in the open field. King liked to use his shoulder when past the LOS and that drives me absolutely crazy. Stokes plays bigger than he looks.
Ja'Marr Chase will be running deep all day, Sunday, hopefully against Stokes rather than King
Maybe. One answer to that is assigning Safety help to King by saturating his side of the field regular and early.
Let that be blatantly obvious and publicly known early, that if you want to beat our CB deep? It’ll have to be a throw in Stokes direction.
Reminiscent of the battlefield tactic of “posturing”. Set up an additional 20 Pounder cannon pointed towards Kings side and make them earn their ground.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Stokes as having a floor nowhere close to Kings. But I agree Stokes ceiling is much higher than Kings.
I noticed Sunday that Stokes isn’t afraid to challenge a RB with a good solid Leg tackle in the open field. King liked to use his shoulder when past the LOS and that drives me absolutely crazy. Stokes plays bigger than he looks.

The answer to that is assigning Safety help to King’s side by saturating his side of the field regular and early.
Let that be blatantly obvious and publicly known early, that if you want to beat our CB deep? It’ll have to be a throw in Stokes direction. Reminiscent of a the battlefield tactic of “posturing”. Set up an additional 20 Pounder cannon on Kings side and have it ready to fire

Yeah somewhere here or in another thread I spoke to Stokes' willingness to tackle compared to King's almost desire to avoid contact while tackling LOL

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ja'Marr Chase will be running deep all day, Sunday, hopefully against Stokes rather than King (if he plays). At least Stokes has the speed to potentially catch-up and make deep balls contested. The DL/LB's needs to help this week by getting consistent pressure on Burrows or it'll be a long, sad day of Higgins & Chase mid/long completions and/or Boyd from the slot.
And you are right. The Bengals did not get Burrows to **** and dunk. He will go for the end zone. But teams have gotten to him this year. The Bears forced him into several mistakes. Since we can put up more points than the Bears Burrows will not hope to win a 17-16 battle. He will open up.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Pro Football Reference Stokes has allowed a passer rating of 57.1 when targeted so far. King never has come close to being that good and this season has allowed a nearly perfect passer rating of 156.2.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess if ben had hit JuJu on those two TD passes the rating would be quite a bit different. I'm happy with Stokes so far.

Reaction score
According to Pro Football Reference Stokes has allowed a passer rating of 57.1 when targeted so far. King never has come close to being that good and this season has allowed a nearly perfect passer rating of 156.2.
There’s no question who’s the better player. I just hope they give Kevin adequate support on his first game back. He plays decent underneath, it’s primarily a couple of long throws that kill those stats (especially 2.5 games into a season).
Give King consistent help over the top and I think we’re fine.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s no question who’s the better player. I just hope they give Kevin adequate support on his first game back. He plays decent underneath, it’s primarily a couple of long throws that kill those stats (especially 2.5 games into a season).
Give King consistent help over the top and I think we’re fine.
And you can bet if he has time Burrows intends to go long like he did against the Vikings.

Reaction score
And you can bet if he has time Burrows intends to go long like he did against the Vikings.
Absolutely. I think the Bengals understand that they can’t fall behind us in this one. I predict they go for the throat early in.

I’ll note that distance in road games can factor. However the travel time between us and Cinci is nearly identical to the distance to Detroit (500 miles). As far as Road games anyway, the distance is about as close as you could ask for without being a Divisional matchup.

It’s obviously any given Sunday and the Bengals are catching us at likely our weakest point and on the road. That said, the Bengals are averaging 7 points per contest vs GBs 13 points per first half through 4 games.
Conversely, they’ve scored 64 points in the 2nd half of those games (16 points per contest vs Packers 11 points). GB needs to keep the throttle down if (when) ;)they have a lead, even if it’s 2 scores and not get complacent.
GB 33 Cinci 26

Members online

Latest posts