Kevin King & Quentin Rollins

jakemillar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier on, maybe 3 weeks ago I recall making some comments somewhere about how IMO, I didn't think King would be a Day 1 starter on the defense and that we needed to keep our faith in Rollins and especially Randall that they would get back to their rookie season form.

After the first few padded practices, my tune on half of this has been changed. Specifically with Kevin King. I can't recall which reporter tweeted the clip out, maybe Aaron Nagler, but it was Malachi Dupre in 1-on-1's with Kevin King. Dupre ran an incredbile route, a post-and-go that even sold me watching it, and King's movement for his size, the way he transitioned from back pedalling to running, was pretty amazing, athletically. I realize it was only one play, but a CB with his size able to move so fluidly like that, at speed, isn't something you need to see more than one or two times to know he might be the real deal.

Even if he's still a little "raw" as people say, I'm beginning to take to the idea of King being a starter as a boundary corner and just see what happens. It makes sense now, after seeing it, that that's the type of athlete that you need in today's NFL at the CB position to really flourish on defense, so it makes sense to have him out there.

Secondly, as I was scrolling through my Twitter feed during Saturdays practice for updates I read from one of the reporters covering camp (who I also forget) that Quentin Rollins was the sole slot corner with the 1's and he was "dominating" Randall Cobb all day long in the Move The Ball period(s) of practice.

I think it's appropriate that we give Rollins some love considering how much of the opposite he was getting for almost all of last year. I remember in 2015 when he was playing inside when Hayward went down, he had a few games where he reminded me of Chris Harris in the slot, just blanketing guys. Good to see him bounce back and be the guy he showed he was before the injuries and subsequent from last season.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I really cant wait to see Kevin King develop. He could be something really special. The next Charles Woodson?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
More of a chance he'll be a complete bust than HoF material.
Safe bet considering these are the only DBs in the NFL HOF.
Defensive Backs (24)
Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972
Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977
Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983
Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978
Jack Butler (CB) 1951-59
Jack Christiansen (S) 1951-1958
Darrell Green (CB) 1983-2002
Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989
Ken Houston (S) 1967-1980
Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976
Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979
**** Lane (CB) 1952-1965
Yale Lary (S) 1952-1953, 1956-1964
**** LeBeau (CB) 1959-1972
Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994
Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977
Deion Sanders (CB-KR-PR) 1989-2000, 2004-2005
Emmitt Thomas (CB) 1966-1978
Emlen Tunnell (S) 1948-1961
Roger Wehrli 1969-1982
Aeneas Williams (CB/S) 1991-2004
Larry Wilson (S) 1960-1972
Willie Wood (S) 1960-1971
Rod Woodson 1987-2003

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Obviously any comparison to hall of famers are excessive, but King is an insanely rare athlete. If he takes to coaching at all, he will be a good one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Earlier on, maybe 3 weeks ago I recall making some comments somewhere about how IMO, I didn't think King would be a Day 1 starter on the defense and that we needed to keep our faith in Rollins and especially Randall that they would get back to their rookie season form.

After the first few padded practices, my tune on half of this has been changed. Specifically with Kevin King. I can't recall which reporter tweeted the clip out, maybe Aaron Nagler, but it was Malachi Dupre in 1-on-1's with Kevin King. Dupre ran an incredbile route, a post-and-go that even sold me watching it, and King's movement for his size, the way he transitioned from back pedalling to running, was pretty amazing, athletically. I realize it was only one play, but a CB with his size able to move so fluidly like that, at speed, isn't something you need to see more than one or two times to know he might be the real deal.

Even if he's still a little "raw" as people say, I'm beginning to take to the idea of King being a starter as a boundary corner and just see what happens. It makes sense now, after seeing it, that that's the type of athlete that you need in today's NFL at the CB position to really flourish on defense, so it makes sense to have him out there.

Secondly, as I was scrolling through my Twitter feed during Saturdays practice for updates I read from one of the reporters covering camp (who I also forget) that Quentin Rollins was the sole slot corner with the 1's and he was "dominating" Randall Cobb all day long in the Move The Ball period(s) of practice.

I think it's appropriate that we give Rollins some love considering how much of the opposite he was getting for almost all of last year. I remember in 2015 when he was playing inside when Hayward went down, he had a few games where he reminded me of Chris Harris in the slot, just blanketing guys. Good to see him bounce back and be the guy he showed he was before the injuries and subsequent from last season.

I fully expect King to start on the outside in week 1 but anticipate some growing pains in his developement especially early this season.

Randall and Rollins are definitely best suited to line up in the slot and will most likely battle each other for the nickel spot in 2017. It's far too early to assume Quinten has bounced back because of a single play in practice though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

King could well be a day one starter. If that happens, he's very likely to have a steep learning curve, and have one of those days where he gets schooled by a veteran true #1 receiver. At that point, there will hand wringing and panic among some the usual suspects that the kid is a bust and Ted screwed up, etc., etc.

I think there's a pretty fair chance that King has a bright NFL future. He's a rookie, so there will be some growing pains, and he likely needs to spend some time in the weight room as well. Whether or not he starts on day one we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm hoping for bounce-back season for Rollins and Randall like everyone else, and am mindful that they both played through injuries last year. Randall may end up in the slot, and House may end up on the bench as he did in Jacksonville. That's the great thing about this time of year - We can all guess what's going to happen and nobody's wrong (yet).

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, a very short list indeed. Especially considering the relatively sparse showing of players from the 80's and 90's.
Until Deion Sanders, CB was not an exciting position. He made it glamorous and allowed fans to recognize the importance. But the biggest thing, youngsters wanted to be like him. Typically, before prime time, the best players in youth football wanted the marquee positions, QB, RB, and WR. After DS, many wanted to play CB. I would bet that in the future, a higher percentage of CBs will make it into the hall. Revis? Talon? Peterson? Sherman?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
More of a chance he'll be a complete bust than HoF material.

We will find out sooner or later. Im sticking with HoF Material. If hes a bust Ill eat the crow but I dont see it.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So if the statement that Rollins is "dominating" Cobb in practice is true, it certainly raises the question has Rollins improved that much or is Cobb really that mediocre that he is making Rollins look that good?

D

Deleted member 6794

So if the statement that Rollins is "dominating" Cobb in practice is true, it certainly raises the question has Rollins improved that much or is Cobb really that mediocre that he is making Rollins look that good?

There's absolutely no reason to put too much stock into reports from practice.

A bad omen so far with some injuries already. I hope this isnt a trend.

The Ravens have already lost Dennis Pitta, their #1 tight end who caught 86 passes last season, to a career ending injury as well as Crockett Gilmore (#2 TE) and fourth round OL Nico Siragusa (torn ACL, MCL and PCL) for the 2017 season while Joe Flacco is out several weeks with a back injury.

Yet Packers fans complain about the team's first selection in this year's draft being held out of practice as a precaution. And people still wonder why I get tired about injuries being used as an excuse.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am happy to hear Rollins is looking great in practice, as I was much more excited when we drafted him over the Randall pick that year. Then Randall really shocked me and Rollins was less of a thrill. Then they both busted their second year. I do not put much stock into training camp, but I just want to have high hopes for this position. I think as packers fans we all NEED to have high hopes for the CB position. Our window of opportunity closes every year Rodgers gets older. It is disgusting to think about how close we have gotten in recent years and cannot finish. Personally, I am disgusted that they have kept their medical/athletic training staff with recurrent injuries. They have an old school mind set in the field and treat injured athletes opposed to work more on injury prevention.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'll take the latter. Rollins isn't any good..Cobb is still going onproduce in this offense just like Rollins will allow other WRs to produce in their offense. Just wait for it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I am disgusted that they have kept their medical/athletic training staff with recurrent injuries. They have an old school mind set in the field and treat injured athletes opposed to work more on injury prevention.
I've always gotten the impression that the (current) Packers are more cautious with injuries and their athletes than most teams. They did address this a few years back IIRC. They either turned over some of their training staff, or sought some consultation. I believe I've heard that they've instituted more warm ups and stretches to prevent injuries also. But we seem to still suffer from the injury bug.

Regarding King, I don't watch much college football but I have had a good gut feeling about him since TT drafted him. I hope some of the optimistic statements here about our secondary turn out to be true, because we are going to need it. Especially if the pass rush suffers (and it does look like it may take a step backwards, even as the secondary takes a step up).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein believes that Kevin King will be back on the field practicing tomorrow. Hope he's right.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Whitt on 2016: "You lose your best player in Sam, your 2nd-best player goes somewhere else, and your 3 young guys, 2 of them have surgery."

What a WHINER!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitt on 2016: "You lose your best player in Sam, your 2nd-best player goes somewhere else, and your 3 young guys, 2 of them have surgery."

What a WHINER!
What does Joe Whitt know anyway? It's not as if he's taken a couple undraftee FAs and coached them into probowlers or anything. Probably got his job because he whined to his daddy and they made him DB coach because he liked Deion sanders

Last edited: