Jordan Willis

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is our first round guy. I want to say he's the #1 edge defender per PFF, and dominated in the Senior Bowl. For some reason, he's not on any first-round radar. That may change after his impressive combine showing (4.53 40 time) but I believe he will provide a good edge rusher for years to come, and will be a year 1 impact player.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The 10 yard split (1.54) is the more impressive number. I could give a rip about 40's at that position. The jumps and the three cone are even better indicators. The knock on him (and to your point, the reason he hasn't been on the 1st round radar) is that he's stiff and a straight line rusher without the power to bull through people. He doesn't show ability to bend or turn the corner on tape. A good 3 cone would go a line way towards proving that he has the ability to change that and work on his approach.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 10 yard split (1.54) is the more impressive number. I could give a rip about 40's at that position. The jumps and the three cone are even better indicators. The knock on him (and to your point, the reason he hasn't been on the 1st round radar) is that he's stiff and a straight line rusher without the power to bull through people. He doesn't show ability to bend or turn the corner on tape. A good 3 cone would go a line way towards proving that he has the ability to change that and work on his approach.
He looked great and fluid in drills IMO. 39 inch vertical, so he's got the explosiveness for an edge rusher. Also 25 reps on the bench.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He looked great and fluid in drills IMO. 39 inch vertical, so he's got the explosiveness for an edge rusher. Also 25 reps on the bench.

Yeah he's having great results with the explosion metrics. The three cone will be important. Anything close to 7 seconds would be a big feather in his cap. That drill on its own has a stronger correlation to pass rush success than any other.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm a little bit worried about Willis' productivity with Kansas State as he mostly lined up against right tackles in college.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he's having great results with the explosion metrics. The three cone will be important. Anything close to 7 seconds would be a big feather in his cap. That drill on its own has a stronger correlation to pass rush success than any other.
Do you have anything to support that? They are exploding off the ball and moving forward when rushing the QB, so it only makes sense they perform well in explosive drills. Mack comes to mind as a guy with great explosive measurements but a fairly unimpressive 3 cone drill, yet he seems to be doing well.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willis is my #3 ranked pass rusher in this class. I had him as an early 2nd round for last few months. But with his performance today I wouldn't be surprised if he went late 1st. Like mentioned previously his stiffness and bend are my main concern. I could see TT moving up in the 2nd if he falls there like he did with Spriggs last year. Especially if we lose Nick Perry in FA. Then we definitely need a Jordan Willis or Carl Lawson!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Do you have anything to support that? They are exploding off the ball and moving forward when rushing the QB, so it only makes sense they perform well in explosive drills. Mack comes to mind as a guy with great explosive measurements but a fairly unimpressive 3 cone drill, yet he seems to be doing well.

It's not to say that players can't be successful without good 3C times, but that it on its own correlates to pass rush success more than any other drill. Some power rushers don't need to flexibility because they rush through the OT. But players who lack that sort of power must be able to bend so as to turn the corner and flatten the arc to the quarterback. Otherwise all their speed translates to being pushed past the pocket.

Look up the edge players who were sub 7 seconds in the 3C. You'll see that a disproportionately large number of them have been very successful. Some examples: Von Miller, JJ Watt, Melvin Ingram, Joey Bosa, and Vic Beasley.

You can read more here.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6.85 three come! Yowza. Sign me up, cowboy :inlove:.
That's amazing. Elite speed, explosiveness, and agility. And a productive, high motor guy in a position of need who could be available when we're on the board. Sounds too good to be true.

He definitely needs to develop more as a pass rusher, but I think he'll make an impact early due to his athleticism and motor. At worst, I think he can eventually be the type of player Perry was this year.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's amazing. Elite speed, explosiveness, and agility. And a productive, high motor guy in a position of need who could be available when we're on the board. Sounds too good to be true.

He definitely needs to develop more as a pass rusher, but I think he'll make an impact early due to his athleticism and motor. At worst, I think he can eventually be the type of player Perry was this year.
Reminds me of Beasley more than Perry but I agree with the 1st part.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Willis is a far superior athlete, more productive, and more durable than Lawson. Post-combine, it's an easy call for me.

Members online

Latest posts