Joey Thomas fans (and others) please note...

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll, Thomas face off for cornerback spot

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Jim Bates

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Johnson hurt again?!? He was supposed to have exceptional speed, if I remember correctly, but it seems like we're never even going to get to see him.

I don't know if the writer is using a bias to paint a picture, but it sure seems like Thomas currently has the inside track for the starting job.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it the stiff competition can only make them both better players. I personally would like to see Carroll succeed but only if he learns the hands off approach. To have who ever wins be a play away from being benched each game should ensure that they put out a full effort on the field.

Later
Leopardmech

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 preseasons ago, Chris Johnson looked like the answer, then he got hurt...and hurt...and, well you get the point. I'd love to see the guy come out of training camp healthy because we'll need every CB we've got!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sleeper here could be Hawkins. Talent enough to have played at Oklahoma, but what about attitude?? I hope he comes back rapidly from his knee surgery and we get to see what he can do.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping the pressure on the QB is going to make our corners a lot better than the last few years. Neither Thomas nor Carroll is ready to play, imo. Takes even the great corners a few years to adjust to the speed of the NFL. If only we could play against Joey Harrington every week.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, I think our secondary situation is better than people realize. Carroll and Thomas will be much improved and both will contribute heavily. I like Mike Hawkins too from what I've heard from his minicamp (pre-knee surgery).

Who knows? We may have hit on one or both with Collins and/or Underwood too. We just have to wait and see. I'd rather see a young player making mistakes and trying to tackle than a washed up Darren Sharper with a huge ego anyway.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's interesting that Carroll was penalized 15 times last season and only 7 of those penalties were accepted. It means that on 8 of those plays he and his teammates couldn't stop the opposition even when they were cheating. That just goes to show how awful him and the rest of the defense were last year. It's true that there were some questionable calls by the refs, but he also got away with some that could have been called.

To their credit, the coaching staff did make him practice in boxing gloves at one point late last season, but even that didn't work. They should make him practice for a week with his hands tied behind his back. Then he can concentrate solely on improving his footwork.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think it's interesting that Carroll was penalized 15 times last season and only 7 of those penalties were accepted. It means that on 8 of those plays he and his teammates couldn't stop the opposition even when they were cheating. That just goes to show how awful him and the rest of the defense were last year. It's true that there were some questionable calls by the refs, but he also got away with some that could have been called.

To their credit, the coaching staff did make him practice in boxing gloves at one point late last season, but even that didn't work. They should make him practice for a week with his hands tied behind his back. Then he can concentrate solely on improving his footwork.
Of course he got screwed on a few and got away with a few...I think that applies to every DB in the NFL! I think Carroll earned a reputation as being a "holder" and the refs were looking for it more than usual. Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot practically tackled receivers last year but they were considered "shut down" corners. Carroll needs to improve his play and the refs will back off. It'll happen...hopefully this year. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts