Joe Whitt Jr statements

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/media-center..._compete/5270f1fd-fc0f-4d37-8076-e02f01058781

After watching the McCarthy press conference about Sitton, I watched a few more. The one that stood out was Joe Whitt Jr's talk. The first statement that made me smile was his take on the preseason. He talked about how the preseason is all about assessing the bottom half of your roster, and how the bottom half is what determines whether you can get all the way to a super bowl.

The second statement that was pretty neat, was hearing him field a question about Gunter. Listen for yourself, but he talked about Gunter being a pro who has put himself in a good position by doing everything that Whitt has asked him to do, similar to Tramon Williams.

A good interview.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/media-center..._compete/5270f1fd-fc0f-4d37-8076-e02f01058781

After watching the McCarthy press conference about Sitton, I watched a few more. The one that stood out was Joe Whitt Jr's talk. The first statement that made me smile was his take on the preseason. He talked about how the preseason is all about assessing the bottom half of your roster, and how the bottom half is what determines whether you can get all the way to a super bowl.

The second statement that was pretty neat, was hearing him field a question about Gunter. Listen for yourself, but he talked about Gunter being a pro who has put himself in a good position by doing everything that Whitt has asked him to do, similar to Tramon Williams.

A good interview.

Now this guy knows how to post a link

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize that it had become a lost art....or that I'm the target of sarcasm. I'm fine with either

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize that it had become a lost art....or that I'm the target of sarcasm. I'm fine with either
learn to take a compliment you jerk :)

You posted a link, you posted a synopsis, you gave me a reason to click on it. But it's increasingly rare, like holding a door open for someone, so I feel the need to point it out on occassion :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure that you're not my wife?!? In any case, I wasn't sure what a compliment looked like in print.
Considering my wife just had another son yesterday, I'm pretty sure I'm not your wife. But i guess Maury has not yet confirmed if I am the father. So I guess anything is possible

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering my wife just had another son yesterday, I'm pretty sure I'm not your wife. But i guess Maury has not yet confirmed if I am the father. So I guess anything is possible

Congrats, buddy.
....I hope.

H

HardRightEdge

If Capers were fired after this season and Whitt installed as DC, I would not be disappointed. Well, I would be disappointed in that the cause would be a last straw defensive collapse in the playoffs, but you get the gist.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If Capers were fired after this season and Whitt installed as DC, I would not be disappointed. Well, I would be disappointed in that the cause would be a last straw defensive collapse in the playoffs, but you get the gist.
That's interesting. Do you think he's all ball enough to be a DC? :)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Careful, there apparently are rules regarding redundancies...:tdown:

H

HardRightEdge

That's interesting. Do you think he's all ball enough to be a DC? :)
I'll go ahead and guess what "all ball" is supposed to mean. Tough enough? Too mild mannered? Would you say Tony Dungy was "all ball"? How about Thompson? I wouldn't worry about it. There's a face for the press and a face for the players. For instance, there are a couple of spots where his voice starts to take an edge in the OP video before he catches himself.

The proof is in the putting. CBs are perennially the best defensive position group. He's taken ankle biters like Shields and Randall and gotten them to be respectable tacklers. He gets these young guys ready to play.

I also like the idea of a DB coach as DC; they have to coach to the whole field.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always a double-edged sword. You hate to lose a guy that has been pretty good-to-great at developing talent in a position group. But there is also the tantalizing allure of the unknown as to how good he could do as the overall DC. Time will tell.

With Darren Perry, you've got a guy that also has done some very good things as a position coach. Probably a plus if Capers were ever allowed to pick, or at least recommend, his replacement is that Perry played for the Steelers and is a disciple of **** Lebeau.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's always a double-edged sword. You hate to lose a guy that has been pretty good-to-great at developing talent in a position group. But there is also the tantalizing allure of the unknown as to how good he could do as the overall DC. Time will tell.

With Darren Perry, you've got a guy that also has done some very good things as a position coach. Probably a plus if Capers were ever allowed to pick, or at least recommend, his replacement is that Perry played for the Steelers and is a disciple of **** Lebeau.

Taking a look at the average round the players were drafted at both positions it's fair to assume that Whitt has done a better job than Perry.

H

HardRightEdge

My preference would be that Capers have absolutely nothing to do with it.

But it's a moot point...for now. I guess I just can't help myself.

Go, Pack, go. Go, Capers, go!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and guess what "all ball" is supposed to mean. Tough enough? Too mild mannered? Would you say Tony Dungy was "all ball"? How about Thompson? I wouldn't worry about it. There's a face for the press and a face for the players. For instance, there are a couple of spots where his voice starts to take an edge in the OP video before he catches himself.

The proof is in the putting. CBs are perennially the best defensive position group. He's taken ankle biters like Shields and Randall and gotten them to be respectable tacklers. He gets these young guys ready to play.

I also like the idea of a DB coach as DC; they have to coach to the whole field.
Capers nickname on the staff is "All Ball". He thinks about nothing but football.

H

HardRightEdge

Capers nickname on the staff is "All Ball". He thinks about nothing but football.
Maybe he needs some distractions from time to time. Reflect, refresh, give the creative subconscious some fresh air, yada, yada. All work and no play makes Jack a grinder. Asking "hows the wife and kids" once in a while wouldn't hurt if it's not in the current repertoire. This is coming from a guy nicknamed "___fanatic", for single-minded focus on matters of work, who learned a few lessons along the way.

I don't know if Whitt is "all ball", but he strikes me as "ball enough".

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe he needs some distractions from time to time. Reflect, refresh, give the creative subconscious some fresh air, yada, yada. All work and no play makes Jack a grinder. Asking "hows the wife and kids" once in a while wouldn't hurt if it's not in the current repertoire. This is coming from a guy nicknamed "___fanatic", for single-minded focus on matters of work, who learned a few lessons along the way.

I don't know if Whitt is "all ball", but he strikes me as "ball enough".
Yes, a little balance is good. I like Whitt a lot. I think he's the superstar on this coaching staff.

Staff online

Latest posts