Joe Barry OUT AS DC

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More evidence that Barry was the wrong guy to be the Packers DC and just how disgruntled Campbell was in Green Bay.

Wow... I read something about that earlier today, but not in as much detail. He didn't pull any punches, did he?

It'll be interesting to see if players like Campbell and Savage suddenly blossom into really good players with their new teams.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Cambell's first year with us was mostly lucky. He got interceptions just by being where the ball was tipped or thrown bad imho. And then we gave him too good of a contract because of that.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on Campbell's latest comments on twitter, sounds like he really hated Joe Barry's scheme

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on Campbell's latest comments on twitter, sounds like he really hated Joe Barry's scheme
I saw the comments. Yeah it seemed like he thought he was being played at positions other than where he was strong. Not the first time I've heard that about GB. See Micah Hyde and Casey Hayward. Both played out of position in GB only to excel at their natural position elsewhere. I think Capers was the DC and TT the GM?

It's just better to make the scheme fit the players, rather than the other way around. Just my opinion.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I think back about last season and wonder how much of what Campbell talked about could explain a few things. Rasul was starting to be the vocal leader in that locker room, and gets traded at the deadline. Was he being too vocal? Jaire and his issues with attitude in interviews, and then going rogue on the coin flip fiasco. Maybe it doesn't tie in, but

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players on defense have been vocal for years, and Jaire is the prime example. They wanted to be more aggressive and proactive. Berry wanted them to be more reactive. I'm certainly no Berry apologist, as I wanted him gone at the end of 2022 as well. However, there is give and take between the GM, coach, and players. They hired Berry to run his scheme. The GM gives you players that may or may not fit that scheme. Getting most coaches to change their scheme is just as hard as getting a player to change their style of play. The best players can do it, and the best coaches can do it. That doesn't mean that everyone can though.

Again, I'm not sticking up for Berry but I think that his ability to change was as rigid as Campbell's ability to change. Maybe we just needed Rocky.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Campbell blame his poor performance on injuries last season? And if he was misused by Barry, why did he do so well 3 years ago?

To my imperfect knowledge, it seems like he may like making excuses. This coming season may very well validate his opinion. I will reserve judgement till then.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think back about last season and wonder how much of what Campbell talked about could explain a few things. Rasul was starting to be the vocal leader in that locker room, and gets traded at the deadline. Was he being too vocal? Jaire and his issues with attitude in interviews, and then going rogue on the coin flip fiasco. Maybe it doesn't tie in, but
I hope not. The team should be able to handle those little outbursts imho. Campbell just did not play very well for us except the first year and then got overpaid imho. I don't know about Rasul. We get a late 3rd rounder and he was playing very well. One team that is happy with it...is Buffalo. It probably came down to us needing to pay Rasul this year. But he could have helped out during the playoff run. As for Jaire, I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting with Gute. Both to hear what Gute had to say and see what Jaire's reaction was.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He hated it so much that he decided to agree on a new contract in 2022.
Reminds me a bit of Z-Dog. Trying to blame everyone but himself for why he got paid big money and didn't live up to the contract. Then acting all butt hurt when the team that you got all the money from, dumps your a$$.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw the comments. Yeah it seemed like he thought he was being played at positions other than where he was strong. Not the first time I've heard that about GB. See Micah Hyde and Casey Hayward. Both played out of position in GB only to excel at their natural position elsewhere. I think Capers was the DC and TT the GM?

It's just better to make the scheme fit the players, rather than the other way around. Just my opinion.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about Rasul. We get a late 3rd rounder and he was playing very well. One team that is happy with it...is Buffalo.
We didn't even get a 3rd - we traded our 5th for their 3rd, which was about the same value as them just giving up their 5th round pick.

And I'm sure Buffalo was (and remains) quite pleased with the whole thing.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We didn't even et a 3rd - we traded our 5th for their 3rd, which was about the same value as them just giving up their 5th round pick.

And I'm sure Buffalo was (and remains) quite pleased with the whole thing.
That move is still a head scratcher for me. We had Douglas on a reasonably priced contract through the 2024 season, Stokes and Jaire were banged up and our CB depth was limited. At the time of the trade, Rasul was ranked by PFF as the 21st-best CB through 7 games (75.2 grade). Even if it was a deal done while keeping an eye on the future cap, his eventual compensatory value was probably more than what the Packers got in the trade.

I have to assume that having a record of 2-5 at the time of the trade and maybe something off the field, got Douglas traded.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hated it so much that he decided to agree on a new contract in 2022.
The quotes I read from Campbell insinuated that he did not listen to Barry in 2021 and did his own thing. After signing the contract he decided to be a team player and his production dipped since he was being misused. Not saying I buy all of it, just giving some context is all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That move is still a head scratcher for me. We had Douglas on a reasonably priced contract through the 2024 season, Stokes and Jaire were banged up and our CB depth was limited. At the time of the trade, Rasul was ranked by PFF as the 21st-best CB through 7 games (75.2 grade). Even if it was a deal done while keeping an eye on the future cap, his eventual compensatory value was probably more than what the Packers got in the trade.

I have to assume that having a record of 2-5 at the time of the trade and maybe something off the field, got Douglas traded.
I don't remember feeling bad when he was traded. And yeah, they were 2-5 at the time and there was no indication of how the season would end. Campbell was a one-year wonder. Douglas was more than that. Either way I didn't see it as a horrible trade, just unusual given the timing, how he was playing, and that the Packers weren't playing well in the secondary.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and no. Disclaimer: I have only coached my 2 sons hockey teams and my goddaughters t ball team, no Lombardi here, although our teams were really good.

When I took over the first team, I already had players, I needed to scheme to the players strengths, and more importantly, away from their weaknesses. I never recruited, so that was all I had to do.

But if I was in a position to recruit and develop, I would do the above when I take over a program, but over the next few years, recruiting the players I need for my desired playstyle would mean getting perhaps different types of players possibly, and then coaching them up into the scheme, the scheme dictating the qualities needed at recruitment.

TL;DR: Yes, scheme to the players, until you have the players to fit your real playstyle.