Joe Barry OUT AS DC

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Matt Schneidman and Tom Silverstein, Packers beat reporters, both state they confirmed Pelissero's original reporting.

ALSO BREAKING: Adam Schefter reports Barry MAY BE RETAINED in a different capacity.
I guess the old janitor quit?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Why? It was 82 pages long. This thread should have been merged into it.....IMO.
Nobody new here or an infrequent poster is going to wade through 81 pages to add their nugget of opinion. If you want to respond to something there, quote it and post a new thread or put it here or the DC name thread.

MNCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This news to me is like winning the Super Bowl. I never liked the hire...and the way the D played better in the post season, I was sure that Petals was going to bring him back...with his past history of hanging on to coaches too long (Special Teams).My enthusiasm for the future of this team was curbed by the fact that we still will be going thru the struggles of the defense again. Now, with the emergence of Love and this young offense, plus the improvement on the defensive side of the ball, leaves me really pumped for the future of this team. Hopefully Gutey can nail this upcoming draft and with our cap situation slowly getting better, we have a lot to look forward too. Go Pack Go!!!!

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Ok now that the Barry flesh has been satisfied, like this or not, a HC or a GM should not be safe from a chopping block, or a fire thread name for them.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new DC needs to be innovative. The idea of drawing up a scheme and then just plugging in players in spots doesn't work. You end up with too many situations where you try to put round peg players in square holes, and vice versa. Then, knowing what you already have, and intend cultivating, you add the players who match the hole/plug combinations you need to fill out the rotations.

Sounds complicated, but to a defensive guru, it's ezy peezy.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the backlash when he was hired. Nobody could believe that he was the guy Lafleur wanted..well..after Leonhard.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the backlash when he was hired. Nobody could believe that he was the guy Lafleur wanted..well..after Leonhard.

I always thought that Evero was #2 after Leonhard, but got miffed when he wasn't the first choice and didn't accept the job either. No proof to corroborate this, but he just seemed to be a better candidate at the time and it was very puzzling when Barry was selected.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought that Evero was #2 after Leonhard, but got miffed when he wasn't the first choice and didn't accept the job either. No proof to corroborate this, but he just seemed to be a better candidate at the time and it was very puzzling when Barry was selected.
I'm not even sure that Leonard was offered the job. His statement at the time, to my memory, was that he was removing himself from consideration. Not that he was declining the job.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I didn't stick this one, I'd be merging several more throughout the day. Maybe time to stick the search for a DC thread too.
I think a DC-candidate-search thread would be more interesting now that Barry has finally been whacked. The article in the JS today announcing the move listed a bunch of candidates, some former DCs, others are up and comers.

FWIW I'd like to see a younger guy with a solid pedigree as an assistant, someone who has been promoted and who has coached at multiple positions. I don't want a lifetime LB coach being considered. Age wise, I guess from early 30s to mid 40s. Not an exact science.

(And no, Adrian Griffin is not a good candidate.)

And age isn't a bad thing if the person again has a pedigree of creativity and familiarity with the entire defense - oh and some success please. But please, no more guys like JB with a track record of poor performance.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, let's hope that the next DC has a better resume than what Joe Barry brought to the table. While I'm not sad to see him go, the defensive woes are not all his fault. I think Gute deserves some blame from drafting too many project players in the first round. Too much emphasis on the development side of the draft and development equation. The only Gute defensive pick in the first three rounds to make a pro bowl or All Pro was Jaire. That's not a good record. I hope the next DC can get all those first round picks to play up to their draft status. It's a tall order. Good luck to whomever gets hired.
Two good points you make:

1 - hire someone with a track record that includes mostly winning. JB never should have been hired with an 0-16 season on his resume.

2 - just because GB has seven first rounders on D doesn't mean they were worthy of the selection, to your point about Alexander being a standout. Gary was a #12 overall and a project, LVN #13 and a project. I know the Packers will draft at #25, but a lot of impact players have been taken/available.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen - the round that these guys get drafted has little to do with NFL performance. It's based on how they played against inferior opponents in college and also based on some khaki pants wearing front office guy's expectations.

If you make it into the NFL then you have the chance to be great. NFL history is littered with low-round and UDFAs that make it big. It takes a good coach to get that out of each and every player. Some coaches merely use the players on the team. Great coaches make them play better.

There isn't one guy on the Packers defense that couldn't be coached up into being a Pro Bowler or All-Pro. Let's find that coach.

[*EDIT - I'm wearing khakis right now and filled with shame*]

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard the news about Barry. I was not expecting that because the defense played better towards the end of the season. I would like to see if Jim Leonhard would be interested.

I'm honestly not interested in a retread DC. I would hope they could find someone with experience but who's innovative.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm honestly not interested in a retread DC. I would hope they could find someone with experience but who's innovative.
Unless you find someone that coached at the college level, you are mostly going to find "retread" coaches. Most coaches have had success and failure at some level. I think the reason that many of us questioned MLF hiring Barry in the first place, was that he wasn't a very successful DC at his previous NFL jobs, with the same title.

I don't know the coaching pool well enough, but the new hire could be a former HC, that was once a great DC, but didn't make it as a HC. It could be a current DC that just didn't work out, but had success elsewhere. It could be a young defensive guy that just hasn't had a shot at being a DC yet, but the Packers think he is ready.

I guess what I am saying is that sometimes the best coaches are retreads, but have had a lot of success on those tires. Brandon Staley comes to mind.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard the news about Barry. I was not expecting that because the defense played better towards the end of the season. I would like to see if Jim Leonhard would be interested.

Agreed. I just read that Miami "parted ways" with Vic Fangio. I'd rather see an assistant coach who has coached multiple positions of D - with the subjective criterion - the respect of his players. Someone in their mid 30s to mid 40s.

I think JB lost the respect of his players, and it required a huge lift by MLF to get these guys "back". MLF needs to focus on the team as a whole, and offense specifically. He needs a DC who can operate within the HCs system, but as his own person, and on his own.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Listen - the round that these guys get drafted has little to do with NFL performance. It's based on how they played against inferior opponents in college and also based on some khaki pants wearing front office guy's expectations.

That actually isn't true. The higher the pick, the more success they have historically had in the NFL. This is something that scouts look at (probability of a successful NFL career) and impacts where a player is taken in the draft.

Now that isn't to say that a guy picked 1st is guaranteed a successful NFL career nor is a guy picked last doomed to selling cars while wearing Khakis. BTW...sorry to hear you filled yours or is that just bragging? ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That actually isn't true. The higher the pick, the more success they have historically had in the NFL. This is something that scouts look at (probability of a successful NFL career) and impacts where a player is taken in the draft.
What really determines where someone is drafted? It is 100% based on scout and GM analysis and perceptions. It's not actually based on objective metrics, it is all subjective. If it were objective, a guy like Matt Flynn who went 12-2 and beat OSU for the National Championship would have been a first round pick. Tom Brady went 40-9 at Michigan - albeit with marginal stats - but was a proven winner. Sixth round for him. There are plenty of examples of players that excel at the combine, climb the draft boards, and then fail. Why? Because it's all about how much love these guys have for a player.

So while scouts and GMs look at the metrics, it really all boils down to whether or not they *think* someone will succeed in the NFL and specifically on their team.

Yes, some scouts and GMs are good at their jobs and therefore more of the top picks succeed than the lower picks, but the draft position is not what determines a player's success in the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts