Jim Bates' explanation

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any of you guys are still confused on what players we drafted and why...I think you should listen to Bates' explanation on basically each player taken on defense. I was confused as much as anyone, but I understand somewhat why we took both of those S/CB hybrid type of players in Collins and Underwood. This is what he wants in his system. He wants the safeties to be able to take receivers on blitzes and both of these guys are definitely capable. He loves our depth at DT, so he felt that the need was not there. Anyway, just listen, and I know you'll feel that something was done right in this draft other than Aaron Rodgers.

Just go under Round 6 press conferences and listen to Bates' explanation:

http://www.packers.com/draft/2005/audio/

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates also sounds excited about the talent he already has on the team. I hope he knows a lot more than we do and that he's not blowing smoke. If guys like Carroll, Thomas, and Washington can improve and come on their second season the way KGB did his 2nd year, last years draft will have a much bigger impact on the coming season than this years draft. Hopefully Bates can get more out of these guys than Slowik did. I think Bates will have to be the MVP this year to develop some of these guys in order for this team to improve from last year.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerfan- Most Rookies make many mistakes and at the most inopportune time. Rookies are Rookies. Sometime they make a big splash in their rookie year and hit a wall in their sophmore year , then continue to have a good seasons. You can name almost any player and he was on the bench his rookie year, there were a few look good their rookie year, most came into their own in 2nd or 3rd year. Packers didn't know what to do with Wahle. They put him at O.T. He was awlful. Put Wahle a OG and he has achieved much. Flannegan our great center was injured his first two years, Packers traded him to The Panthers. he failed his Physical there and was sent back to the Packers. He is now is the anchor of the Packer line. Javon Walker came really into his own this year, he showed promise his first years with Packers. many fans complained and carped about drafting of Walker, Driver and Fergeson. Do not jump to conclusions about rookie players, Some really "shine" their 2nd or 3rd year. That kind of Player could step up this year and make the a great starter as players before them did for Packers since 1919.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll just needs to remember where the 5 yard marker is and obey the rules...
After that - he'll be fine - otherwise? Uh-huh, not gonna happen, no matter what!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts