Jerry Kramer to get his Super Bowl 1 ring back

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He lost it 25 years ago on a flight . Ray Nitschke's son John saw it on a website for aution and contacted Kramer . The owner of the auction said he would give the ring back . 8)

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This morning at the Packers offices.

At least Jerry got his ring back. The jerk sportswriters won't let him into the Hall of Fame where he belongs.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kramer deserves to be in the HOF but the powers to be feel that there is too many Packers from that team already in there. Such a shame, a player deserves it but (sports)politics gets in the way.

By the way Ryan, I checked out jerrykramer.com and he had a link to Fuzzy Thurstons Bar and ticket packages. On Fuzzy's site , he recomends and has a link to THIS Forum for Packer Fans. Pretty Cool!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw the story on last night's news. That HAS to be a shocker.......to get it back after that many years! GOOD FOR HIM!!!! And he SHOULD be in the hall!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that he has the ring back, how about a ticket to Canton to cap off a stellar career.

Is there a more deserving guy out there than Kramer?

What a black mark on the HOF....the guy was and is a standard bearer for the position.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you younger folks may not be familiar with Jerry Kramer.

In 1969 was voted the best Right Guard in the first 50 years of Pro Football.
Voted All Pro 5 times
Voted to Pro Bowl 3 times
5 NFL Championships.
Played 11 years for the Packers playing all games in nine of those seasons.
3 years also did placekicking duties.

When non-Packer fans think of the 60's Packers they think of the Packer Power Sweep. Who was there all those years leading the way? Jerry Kramer.

He has been a finalist 10 times but not yet been voted into Canton.
Here is a link to a petition to get Jerry into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/KramerHoF/

For those who want more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Kramer
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Jerry_Kramer
http://www.jerrykramer.com/

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cali Cheez,
Beautiful summation.
I am getting to be an old fart and I couldn't remember all of his accolades.

I love how his defensive peers and the opposing coaches said that they knew the sweep was coming but they couldn't stop it.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from Wikipedia:

"Kramer was the 39th player selected in the 1958 NFL draft, taken in the fourth round by the Green Bay Packers. The first four rounds of the draft were held on December 2, 1957. Two Packer Hall-of-Famers were taken in this draft: fullback Jim Taylor of LSU, in the second round, 15th overall, and linebacker Ray Nitschke of Illinois in the third round, 36th overall."

NOW THAT WAS AN A+ DRAFT!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everybody knows you can't judge a draft until 50 years afterwards. Talk to me in 2 years.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack--(I know that comment was meant to be humorous) but the real guy responsible for that draft was Jack Vanisi (1950-1960) Packer personel director and pro scout was responsible for drafting C Jim Ringo, WR Max McGee, QB Bart Starr, OT Forest Gregg, RB Paul Hornung, TE Ron Kramer, FB Jim
Taylor, MLB Ray Nitschke, OG Jerry Kramer, WR Boyd Dollar, LB Bill Forester, Ot Bob Skoronski, DB Hank Gremminger, LB Dan Currie and other good players.

These mentioned above were drafted by drafted by Jack Vanisi in the 50's, would become the very Foundation of greatest NFL team of the 1960's and also the greatest Packer team in the franchise's History. -The Glory Years Packers coached by Vincent Lombardi. This team won 5 NFL Championships(which include Super Bowls 1 & 2) from 1969-1967.

The Packers between 1959 -1967 won 98 games and lost 30 with 4 ties, this includes post season games. By the way the Packers were 9 -1 in post season games.

Jack Vanisi never saw how great that Packer team would be, he died in 1960, in his early thirties.

The Packers would never get back to having great drafts like Jack Vanisi achieved. The closest the Packers would come to those drafts of the 50's, would be drafts under ex Packer GM Ron Wolf who came to Green Bay in 1992-2000.

-But it took time for the great Packer players drafted in the 1950's, to win their first NFL Championship under Lombardi , that came 1961.

So lets not sell short Packer GM Ted Thompson draftees of 2005 & 2006. There are still about 9 players drafted in '05 on Packer roster in '06. Lets just wait a few years and see what these players of drafts of '05 & '06 accomplish with the Packers in the future years, especially The first Round choice of '05 draft, QB Aaron Rodgers.

PWT 36 -PF historian, who was fortunate to see in person, all home games played by "the glory years Packer" players named above,at Lambeau Field between 1960-1967 and viewed all Packer road games on CBS TV network. What a time it was, to be living in Green Bay!!!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT...thanks for the info. Great stuff. That was a little before my time but I love hearing about Packer history. You are a great addition to this site. I never knew Vanisi died so young before his work paid off. Again, great stuff.

BTW.....I like what TT has done so far, overall, and I agree it takes a couple years to judge, which is the exact reason it drives me crazy that SOME people have already annointed him a huge success and that he can do no wrong.

Hopefully we are right and his moves pay off but time will tell.

Thanks again for the info!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
everybody knows you can't judge a draft until 50 years afterwards. Talk to me in 2 years.

Trom
I could tell I was very tired yesterday (too many long days back to back).
I had to read your post 3 times before I oculd figure it out and then I didn't even care to post a reply.
Like others have said it was pretty funny.
Although I for one am hoping Kramer's stats are improving!

On a side note, I know Packer fans like to point out how the Packers have drafted great players in the later rounds. (Nitschke in the 3rd round was 36th player overall and Kramer in the fourth round was 39th. Both of these guys would have been high 2nd round picks today. Starr a 17 round pick, with the suplemental picks that get added in, would have been a 6th round choice.)
This year the 36th was GB's that went to New England Chad Jackson WR FL
39th: Phil Winston Justice OT USC
200th: Chicago drafted Tyler Reed G Penn St

Members online