Jarius Wynn is gone

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He's such a disappointment I don't think his departure deserves a thread...

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eh...Wynn hasn't done much to warrant a spot over the last couple of years, no surprise there.

on a different topic, I REALLLY HATE JSonline's change to a limited number of columns you're able to read without signing up for paid account.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's such a disappointment I don't think his departure deserves a thread...
I don't think of him as a disappointment since he was such a low draft pick anyway. They took a shot hoping he'd be another diamond in the rough like Tausher or Jolly, but he didn't pan out. Most of those guys don't. I'm just glad they finally have enough talent around to kill the project and move on.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eh...Wynn hasn't done much to warrant a spot over the last couple of years, no surprise there.

on a different topic, I REALLLY HATE JSonline's change to a limited number of columns you're able to read without signing up for paid account.
Agreed. They and the Press-Gazette have really made this year's off-season a pain. Trying to pick and choose or bite the bullet and pay, it just makes it harder to just enjoy the team. I'm sure they're getting some decent money from subscriptions, but I wonder how much they're losing in advertising due to lower traffic. I know I go there way less than I used to.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Agreed. They and the Press-Gazette have really made this year's off-season a pain. Trying to pick and choose or bite the bullet and pay, it just makes it harder to just enjoy the team. I'm sure they're getting some decent money from subscriptions, but I wonder how much they're losing in advertising due to lower traffic. I know I go there way less than I used to.

Can you not just use different browsers to access additional sets of articles (Chrome, IE, Firefox, etc.)?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a surprise. He never really did anything positive so having him out of the mix is not a bad thing.

When are the 8 or 9 addition cuts getting announced?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are all the picks going to come one at a time? Good grief! The suspense!

Must be a contentious room - all the coaches, scouts, and TT discussing all the possible cuts.

TT: 'Okay, can we at least finally all agree on Wynn?'
Most of the rest: "Okay"
TT: "All right. Alert the media. One down, 12 to go."

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As a Packer fan I agree

As someone who works in the newspaper industry I can totally see why they do it. In fact, I think it should be like a 3 article limit. The reality of the industry is basically everyone expects the content for free online but web ad revenues don't even come close to covering costs.

McGinn and Silverstein are good at what they do and should be fairly compensated. As it looks now, I wouldn't be surprised if they were out of work in 5 years along with the rest of the JS staff - and Jarius Wynn...

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it were not for the injuries he would not have been here even in 2010.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone under 35 subscribe to a newspaper?

Nope, and neither do a lot of people over 35. It's why sites are choosing to give a bit of content away for free, with the hopes you'll be interested enough to pay for it later. They're severely limited in how they can monetize their work, and as was pointed out earlier, online advertising pays only a fraction of what they used to get, especially in a niche market.

If people are looking for free content, they have two options: Find a blog you enjoy, or create it yourself and then give it away.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Nope, and neither do a lot of people over 35. It's why sites are choosing to give a bit of content away for free, with the hopes you'll be interested enough to pay for it later. They're severely limited in how they can monetize their work, and as was pointed out earlier, online advertising pays only a fraction of what they used to get, especially in a niche market.

If people are looking for free content, they have two options: Find a blog you enjoy, or create it yourself and then give it away.

I'm over 35 and don't subscribe to a newspaper. I get my content online for free. If I can't get it free, then I watch it on TV. These websites need to learn the TV model of advertising and stop expecting folks to pay for digital content.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm over 35 and don't subscribe to a newspaper. I get my content online for free. If I can't get it free, then I watch it on TV. These websites need to learn the TV model of advertising and stop expecting folks to pay for digital content.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

And folks need to stop expecting all digital content to be free.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And folks need to stop expecting all digital content to be free.

There are plenty of ways to make money online and still be free. Newspapers just don't understand this because they are still making print editions of their stuff. News websites, that are online only do just fine and give their content away for free. The printed newspaper is dying. The sooner companies like JS get this and switch to totally digital, the more likely they are to survive long term.

Members online

Latest posts