Jari Evans Is A Huge Concern To Me

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to say it but we got a downgrade from Lang out there, and one that was having similar issues trying to protect Breed. Kyle Murphy has some of his own, but he's young and I think needs a bit more time to develop. JE on the other hand has been in the league long enough that I expect wayyy better. I know I should be more optimistic after a win, but I really want us to do better than 10-6 and if we don't, I think this O-line will be the reason.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I saw him make a few bad plays. Hopefully he picks it up.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rod had plenty of time. Our receivers just couldn't get open. hopefully our run game is better with jamaal!:whistling:

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rod had plenty of time. Our receivers just couldn't get open. hopefully our run game is better with jamaal!:whistling:

I would like to see more of JW too.

I'll grant you that yes I did see MM revert back to that 2015 playbook some with those iso routes and AR do a bit of what he did that year and early last year. But he also got flushed from that pocket an awful lot and Evans was not holding his own. If the O-line holds up, Rodgers can actually be better when he's not moving around too much with calf injuries and all. But if they don't hold up and he can't move, it's going to be a brutal year offensively.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't play great but the guy is a vet, he'll figure it out. The Seahawks D-Line is also top tier.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't play great but the guy is a vet, he'll figure it out. The Seahawks D-Line is also top tier.

And they might not be the only ones either. We got the Vikings and ... Well that Ravens defensive front knocked Cincy around like old bottles. So I don't know if Seattle will be the only top tier O-line we got this year

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Let's try to keep in mind that we went up against what everyone is expecting to be the best defense in football.

There were some issues, and I'm sure a lot of it was due to Bulaga's absence. I'm not concerned as of the present.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We did much better all day against their defense than they did against ours. The return yardage differential and punting really hurt
us imo. Our starting field position was bad all day but I don't think we had more than one 3 and out all day against a pretty tough defense. I thought for our first game, we played pretty well overall.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't be playing a better defensive line all year. That's a fact.

Evans wasn't great, but he was fine. If you expected him to be on Lang's level, well that's on you for having poor expectations.

He's good enough at pass blocking, gonna struggle run blocking, but our line usually does. Little concerned with whether he can handle a full season and playoffs, but not too worried.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We won't be playing a better defensive line all year. That's a fact.

Evans wasn't great, but he was fine. If you expected him to be on Lang's level, well that's on you for having poor expectations.

He's good enough at pass blocking, gonna struggle run blocking, but our line usually does. Little concerned with whether he can handle a full season and playoffs, but not too worried.
I'm more concerned about his holding penalties than anything.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First game of the season playing a fantastic DL. Yes, I too would've loved to see a better showing by J.E. but I think he'll end up being just fine. I can't say for certain but I would imagine not having 75 by his side may have caused some of the issues. Murph did pretty darn well all things considered but he is certainly no B.B. at this point in his career. I'll be interested to see how Evans plays moving forward with Bulaga in the lineup.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no one holds on to the ball and buys more time than Rodgers, perhaps something to adjust to. I think JE will do enough for us.

Next season, I expect more depth coming.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay's offense loo better in the 4ht quarter when Rodgers was throwing quick, short passes in rhythm and getting Montgomery more involved. They were able to wear Seattle's defense down and play keep-away, which also benefited Evans and everyone else on the O-line.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Murphy is more of a concern. Rodgers was guilty for 2 of those sacks for holding the ball too long and not taking his dump off. It's one of those where you live by the sword you die by the sword. Rodgers will usually hold on to the ball longer and will either get sacked or someone will get open last second and he will make a great throw.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Evans just has to get used to Rodgers style. He will be fine, keep in mind Rodgers holds the ball a long time.

Reaction score
I think Murphy is more of a concern. Rodgers was guilty for 2 of those sacks for holding the ball too long and not taking his dump off. It's one of those where you live by the sword you die by the sword. Rodgers will usually hold on to the ball longer and will either get sacked or someone will get open last second and he will make a great throw.
Well said. I feel like this was exactly the reason we started involving the TE and RB group in the short passing game as the game wore on. We tried to do too much the first half but started taking what they gave us after halftime. Those short, high probability plays controlled the clock and left Russell on the sidelines pacing.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well said. I feel like this was exactly the reason we started involving the TE and RB group in the short passing game as the game wore on. We tried to do too much the first half but started taking what they gave us after halftime. Those short, high probability plays controlled the clock and left Russell on the sidelines pacing.
This, to me, was a lot of the issue for the first several games of last year when the offense was struggling. Going back to the high percentage, shorter passing game is what got the offense back on track. I'm glad it didn't take McCarthy multiple games to adjust this time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Evans actually had a pretty good grade for the game. I am not overly concerened about Evans at all.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/refocused-green-bay-packers-17-seattle-seahawks-9/

Not having Bulaga and playing against the Seahawks front made it hard to get into the offense that the packer like to run. The good news as posted is Bulaga will be back at some point and we don't play another front like Seattle's.

Evans is fine.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The line did great overall. Murphy is the only one who I thought was rough, but his first start found him dealing with one of, if not the best fronts in football.

The sacks were more a function of the ball being held too long than anything. You can't expect any line to hold up for 4+ seconds against Bennett, Clark, Avril, and Richardson.