January 18th, 2015 Changed This Franchise

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This date will live in Packers lore. It will be up with the Ice Bowl, SB wins, etc. Unlike the other two, it's for the wrong reasons. Something changed in this organization after this game. I've never felt they played, executed, showed the passion they once did afterward. Does anyone else feel this was the "beginning of the end" if you will? Nothing seems to be the same since. Even after beating a mediocre Redskins on the road, l never had confidence they would beat Arizona. What do y'all think?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If, and it's still an "if" at this point, the Packers somehow manage to turn things around, make it and finally win all the playoff games and win the SB, then that date won't mean anything.
For now, and to you at least, it does.
It won't be up there with the Ice Bowl etc because they lost.
And I was under the impression their woes and issues started before that game and date?
I'm still SMH just how in the heck they left a totally wide open Fitzgerald like that.
It can be explained but there just cannot be any excuse for that. None.
Since when does the number one watched/talked about/media darling WR for the team be left alone like that?

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If, and it's still an "if" at this point, the Packers somehow manage to turn things around, make it and finally win all the playoff games and win the SB, then that date won't mean anything.
And I was under the impression their woes and issues started before that game and date?
I'm still SMH just how in the heck they left a totally wide open Fitzgerald like that.
Since when does the number one watched/talked about/media darling WR for the team be left alone like that?

I think winning a SB will lessen the pain. However, it's still up there as one of the biggest chokes in NFL history. Think about how many self inflicted wounds the Packers applied to themselves? It's not like Seattle was driving down the field earning what they got.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I heard someone claim that Fitzgerald got open on an illegal pick that the refs did not call.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I heard someone claim that Fitzgerald got open on an illegal pick that the refs did not call.
LOL. Fitz was open from the get go. Never a single hand or Packer even looked like they were going to cover him. And then our secondary was just sort of tip toe-ing trying to catch up to Fitzgerald and got flatfooted, not expecting him to cut back to the middle of the field and shook everyone out of their cleats.

Makes me sick. Being eliminated from the playoffs like we have for the past two seasons is painful.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's BS. Randall blew the coverage on Fitzgerald and several defenders missed a chance to tackle him. It's as simple as that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
January 18th, 2015 was the NFCCG with the Seahawks. While I think it will be a game that most fans will remember, I don't think it was THE game that catapulted the Green Bay Packers into potential mediocrity. This isn't just about one game, one play or one player IMO. It's a combination of many things that have slowly snowballed into where the Packers are today. Some might even say its the way the NFL and its Draft is designed to create an even playing field over time. Seems like the New England Patriots and for a while, the Green Bay Packers, have beaten the odds of continually picking late in every round, but quite possibly, it is finally catching up to the Packers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
January 18th, 2015 was the NFCCG with the Seahawks. While I think it will be a game that most fans will remember, I don't think it was THE game that catapulted the Green Bay Packers into potential mediocrity. This isn't just about one game, one play or one player IMO. It's a combination of many things that have slowly snowballed into where the Packers are today. Some might even say its the way the NFL and its Draft is designed to create an even playing field over time. Seems like the New England Patriots and for a while, the Green Bay Packers, have beaten the odds of continually picking late in every round, but quite possibly, it is finally catching up to the Packers.
Addressing the last part.. in theory I like Thompson's draft and develop mentality, but picking toward the end of the draft constantly is a big disadvantage to this process. The Patriots stay successful in part, because they aren't afraid to trade and use free agency. I just wish Ted would do a little of this as well.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Addressing the last part.. in theory I like Thompson's draft and develop mentality, but picking toward the end of the draft constantly is a big disadvantage to this process. The Patriots stay successful in part, because they aren't afraid to trade and use free agency. I just wish Ted would do a little of this as well.

If I may expound on one of your points; part of the problem is 'draft and develop' is Thompson's only mentality.

H

HardRightEdge

This date will live in Packers lore. It will be up with the Ice Bowl, SB wins, etc. Unlike the other two, it's for the wrong reasons. Something changed in this organization after this game. I've never felt they played, executed, showed the passion they once did afterward. Does anyone else feel this was the "beginning of the end" if you will? Nothing seems to be the same since. Even after beating a mediocre Redskins on the road, l never had confidence they would beat Arizona. What do y'all think?
If there was any watershed event worth pointing to, it would be the defensive collapse against Seattle the prior year, with Matthews conducting a celebration on the sidelines while the game slipped away. They have had difficulty stepping up in to 4th. quarter closing ever since, and now they can't seem to close out first halves.

A reset is needed, and that will require the coaching change I've endorsed since that Seattle defensive collapse. You can say it was the players' execution, but you can't fire all the players (even if a couple were). There needs to be a change in mind set and that comes from the coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's BS. Randall blew the coverage on Fitzgerald and several defenders missed a chance to tackle him. It's as simple as that.

Yes, your right...Fitzgerald was lined up on the right side and cut over to the open left side all alone. Looked like Randall was deep on the right side doing nothing. I wonder how he explained that ?

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the two close championship games against Dallas, including the Ice Bowl. They were close games because Lombardi's team was getting older and the league was catching up to them. I prefer to remember the '61 and '62 teams that steamrolled two very good New York Giant teams and the '65 team that stuffed the Cleveland Browns and held the greatest player ever to wear a uniform under 100 yards.

More recently, the team that lost a close game by a botched onside kick and the team that won a close game by a Hail Mary on the last play of the game have something in common: they weren't good enough. The current Packer team isn't winning because it does not have enough good players playing well enough to win.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The epic choke against Seattle was a symptom of a soft team that just doesn't ever play four quarters. The Packers have only won one of 10 overtime games under MM. While they squeaked out a win against Pittsburgh in 2010 they nearly choked that game away as well. if it isn't for Matthews forced fumble they choke away an 18 point lead. The choking hasn't changed but what has changed is the talent level. The Packers are now chokers with mediocre talent when in the past they were chokers with much more talent.

Members online

Latest posts