Jackson and Hunt arrive

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker's arrival avoids headache for Pack

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
July 28, 2005

AP - Jul 26, 12:35 pm EDT

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Now that top receiver Javon Walker has reversed course and reported to training camp, the Green Bay Packers can go about deciding who will be throwing him all the passes.

Brett Favre, who normally takes it easy at camp, needs plenty of work -- the three-time MVP quarterback was excused from all offseason throwing to focus on re-energizing his 35-year-old body and his spirit after yet another tumultuous year.

His heir apparent -- first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers of Cal -- will be force fed the offense once he agrees to a contract. And last year's backup, Craig Nall, will fight with J.T. O'Sullivan for a roster spot when two-a-day practices start Friday.

``Certainly it is a juggling act for our coaches and myself to make sure we give the guys the exposure that they need to get,'' coach Mike Sherman said.

At least with Walker in town, training camp might not seem such a circus.

The team underwent medical and conditioning tests Thursday after Walker made a surprise appearance the night before at St. Norbert College, where the veterans had their first mandatory meeting.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus said last week Walker would hold out of training camp in an effort to force a trade or a major upgrade to his contract.

Walker, who made his first Pro Bowl in February, wants a hefty pay raise from the $515,000 salary he's due this season in the fourth year of a five-year, $7.485 million deal he signed in 2002.

General manager Ted Thompson, who sent a letter to Rosenhaus earlier this month stating he had no intention of tearing up Walker's contract or talking trade, declined Thursday to say whether he had budged on his stance not to renegotiate Walker's deal this season.

``We don't talk about what we may or may not do, but nothing's changed with us,'' Thompson said.

Rosenhaus didn't return phone calls from The Associated Press seeking an explanation for Walker's reversal.

Grady Jackson, who also is represented by Rosenhaus and was considering a holdout, showed up to camp as did Cletidus Hunt, who had skipped all offseason workouts.

The only no-show was tight end Bubba Franks, who hasn't signed his one-year tender as the team's transition player because he wants a long-term deal.

Walker's arrival took the organization a little off guard.

``I don't know if it was a complete surprise,'' Thompson said. ``We were assuming everybody would show up and he showed up. But to some degree, yes, it was a surprise.''

Had Walker held out, he would have been subject to $6,000 daily fines and the Packers would have had the right to go after half of the $1.3 million option bonus he received in 2003.

Last year, the Packers fined cornerback Mike McKenzie, who held out all of camp, then reported to the team in September only to facilitate a trade.

Thompson said it was his understanding that Walker was in camp to participate and not just watch workouts.

``I think Javon's a football player. I haven't talked to him, but I'm sure he's taking his physical, doing the running tests and whatever everybody else does,'' Thompson said.

Once Favre announced his intention to return for another season, Walker's unhappiness with his contract became the biggest story of the offseason for the Packers, who lost veteran leaders Marco Rivera, Mike Wahle and Darren Sharper to free agency.

Favre chimed in by publicly chastising Walker and Rosenhaus for their tactics and saying he hoped the Packers wouldn't cave in and that the team could win without Walker.

Rosenhaus in turn criticized Favre for sticking his nose into Walker's financial business.

Walker's arrival alleviates a potential big headache for the Packers as they begin camp needing to refurbish all phases of their team.

``We're glad he's here, as we are about everybody else,'' Thompson said. ``And I'm sure all his teammates and coaches are glad he's here, too.''

Time to see Bates magic work with our starters all in camp. Bates will be the football whisperer if he can get Hunt to commit and improve.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His heir apparent -- first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers of Cal -- will be force fed the offense once he agrees to a contract. And last year's backup, Craig Nall, will fight with J.T. O'Sullivan for a roster spot when two-a-day practices start Friday.

I disagree here. It will take Rodgers a good year to get acclimated to the pro's and to learn the offence. Nall will be the back up.

So Jackson decided to show up, huh? Is he in decent shape? And that dead beat Hunt is going to get a taste of Bates real soon.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was reported on the GB TV stations tonight that Grady is demanding a trade or to be cut. I'm not sure what to make of that (if it's some sort of save face move, or legit), but I suppose it could mean that he will be a pain in camp.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people want Hunt to be cut, but with all the uncertainty on the D-line, I'm guessing they'd still keep Hunt. With the uncertainty of not knowing if Grady will put out or walk out, and with guys like Lee and Washington still having to prove they can stay healthy and produce at DT, Hunt might make the team by default. I can't stand his lazy attitude, but he's at least average and has been pretty durable. The Packers might think it's too big of a risk to get rid of Hunt with so many other questions on the D-line.

It would be nice though if Bates could actually reach the guy somehow and get him to perform.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Packer new GM Ted Thompson stated all Packer players must earn their position with the team, no one will have it handed to them. I think, that was a message especially delivered to Cletius Hunt. So far it doesn't seem to have been received, we will not know for sure until we see what kind of shape he report to training camp in and what his attitude is during training camp. If he continues with lackadiasical attitude, he will no longer be on the team and Packers will swallow the $1M plus cap hit this year. We can only hope Jim Bates can change Hunt's attitude. And that is what is . only a hope!! But I guess it worth a try!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AZPF...his salary doesn't kick up until next year, I believe. I think it's around 1 mil (plus the 1 mil/yr. sign bonus). So, although he's overpaid, financially, keeping him around isn't the worst thing, just yet. So that, coupled with what you said, and I bet he's around this year.

Members online

Latest posts